U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:48 PM

20,705 posts, read 10,044,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wait until they find out that physics defines black as not being a color. They'll be in an uproar that science is "waascist!"
In art, black is the absence of light and white is the absence of color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 02:51 PM

544 posts, read 92,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That is the thing. Black people are constantly singling themselves out. So everybody else do as well.
Too many black people are making "everybody" feel bad, uneasy, like walking on eggshells around them. They do it to themselves. Keep it up and things will never change.

When seeing that some things will never change, that must be a cue to divide and each side go their own way, kind of the same as MGTOW.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Wait until they find out that physics defines black as not being a color. They'll be in an uproar that science is "waascist!"

So, maybe science is naturally "waascist" such as naturally selection and Bell Curve?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:52 PM

66,519 posts, read 33,800,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This isn't the first time I heard of something like this.

If I recall correctly, the movie Malcolm X had a scene where Malcolm was talking about the negative connotations of the word black in the dictionary as compared to white.

It was only a matter of time until self anointed activist snowflakes with too much time on their hands saw this opportunity.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wome...000906372.html

I know several African Americans that are white. Johannesburg is their home town.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM

7,577 posts, read 2,435,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Ah. Since this happened generations ago... I guess the connection to me and my comment is to blame me for actions of others years ago BECAUSE I AM WHITE?

Please lets stick to issues that involve the living, and our future, I have no use for opining about what someones great great great great great great great grandfathers did to one another when society does not even hold children accountable for the crimes of their parents.
Look the point that flew over your head is they can call themselves black, purple, striped, who cares? Seems to change every 20 years. People now, just want to get along and call them fellow americans. You know like colorblind? Equals? You have a problem with that? You want to have your whole identity revolve around color or ethnicity or how you are different dont wonder why its rhat way.
The point is STOP COMPLAINING when American culture and people (who are primarily white) have perpetuated the color labels until TODAY.

Spare me the people today nonsense when color labels still permeates society - census, school documents etc.

Look at your post...”BECAUSE I AM WHITE.”

Your whole cultural perspective is color based and you don’t even see it. Your whole identity revolves around color because that is your culture. American blacks didn’t make it that way. Whites did and, as the majority, still do.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,064,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Why would blacks object to being called "Negro", which is simply Spanish for black? And connected to this -- why do people who refer to themselves as "persons of color" object to being referred to as "colored"?
Because it's all about the connotations associated with certain words, not necessarily the words in and of themselves. Note that this phenomenon has been around for a long time and touches all areas, not just race or even just words (e.g. the swastika).

Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I know several African Americans that are white. Johannesburg is their home town.

I suppose they aren't black African Americans and the ancestors landed there for the plentiful resources.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 16 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,932,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Yes, you defined it, but your definition does not work. Otherwise it would be able to tell us whether Diaz is a POC, not to mention my childhood Palestinian friend or Vietnamese ex-GF. Definitions are supposed to define--yours does not do that.

'Divide' is a synonym of 'distinguish.'

You don't answer my question; you just re-arrange semantics. Again, on what basis do you separate the world into 'white' and 'all others?' Is white somehow special out of all the different shades of humanity?
People of color is a way to distinguish people. See definition 2a [Merriam-Webster]

Definition of distinguish
transitive verb
1 : to perceive a difference in : mentally separate
so alike they could not be distinguished
2a : to mark as separate or different
a policy that distinguishes him from other candidates

b : to separate into kinds, classes, or categories
distinguish words by their part of speech
c : to make noteworthy or remarkable : to give prominence or distinction (see DISTINCTION sense 4) to
distinguished themselves as pioneers of hip-hop
d : CHARACTERIZE
recipes distinguished by simplicity
3a : DISCERN
distinguished a light in the distance
could barely distinguish them in the fog
b : to single out : take special notice of

I answered your question about Diaz. I canít help you beyond what Iíve provided.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 PM

3,342 posts, read 586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
People of color is a way to distinguish people. See definition 2a [Merriam-Webster]

Definition of distinguish
transitive verb
1 : to perceive a difference in : mentally separate
so alike they could not be distinguished
2a : to mark as separate or different
a policy that distinguishes him from other candidates

b : to separate into kinds, classes, or categories
distinguish words by their part of speech
c : to make noteworthy or remarkable : to give prominence or distinction (see DISTINCTION sense 4) to
distinguished themselves as pioneers of hip-hop
d : CHARACTERIZE
recipes distinguished by simplicity
3a : DISCERN
distinguished a light in the distance
could barely distinguish them in the fog
b : to single out : take special notice of

I answered your question about Diaz. I canít help you beyond what Iíve provided.
distinguish=separate=divide
Quote:
di∑vide
/dəˈvīd/
verb
verb: divide; 3rd person present: divides; past tense: divided; past participle: divided; gerund or present participle: dividing
separate or be separated into parts.
So by substituting my 'divide' for your 'distinguish,' you're just playing a dumb game of semantics.

Let me just try it this way: on what basis do you distinguish between 'whites' and 'all others?' Again, are whites somehow special and set apart from everyone else? That is the implication of your language.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 16 days ago)

7,356 posts, read 2,932,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
^This is another issue with the term African American being used to describe black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies