U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:33 PM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,064,565 times
Reputation: 907

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Let me just try it this way: on what basis do you distinguish between 'whites' and 'all others?' Again, are whites somehow special and set apart from everyone else? That is the implication of your language.
Because in this era of permissive racism, having a target creates a rallying point, sometimes giving rise to labels with low informational density, including the one discussed, whose primary purpose it is to further an idealism vs facilitate understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2019, 03:36 PM
 
Location: New York City
8,267 posts, read 6,285,564 times
Reputation: 6069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I wonder why so many people on this forum who aren't black obsess about everything they do, think or vote.
Because they got frustrated when Native Americans wouldn't listen to them when they told them they were supposed to be offended at the Redskins name in the NFL, so they went back to familiar obsessions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,503 posts, read 1,703,358 times
Reputation: 2217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This isn't the first time I heard of something like this.

If I recall correctly, the movie Malcolm X had a scene where Malcolm was talking about the negative connotations of the word black in the dictionary as compared to white.

It was only a matter of time until self anointed activist snowflakes with too much time on their hands saw this opportunity.


https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wome...000906372.html
A Twitter User


: smack:

You know at one point Richard Spencer was on Twitter. I'm so happy that democrats don't go around trying to prove something by claiming someone on Twitter with no power whatsoever has controversial idea.

This is akin to seeing one guy who has a MAGA hat in his profile picture saying something blatantly racist/stupid on twitter, and then going-
"Trump Supporters, believe that we should invade Mexico because it is filled with illegal aliens coming here from another planet to invade America". -thread.

This is how the anti-vaxxer movement starts, people keep reposting idiocy from one of the 7 billion opinions on twitter and eventually it becomes a thing. Just because a woman and her facebook group of 50 have an opinion doesn't mean- "women of color", it means people on twitter have a weird opinion, it isn't thread-worthy in any way and it just helps bog down this forum with unimportant nonsense.

I swear social media is the worst invention of the 21st century. It's actually sad what is going on now, social media is essentially hearing everyone's deep thoughts that they would never share face to face with anyone but now have to share in public, of course your going to end up with everything from "women of color, think the white race is superior and should have their feet licked by the minority populace" to "women of color think white babies should be aborted because of slavery".

Tell me when a politician is advocating for changing the dictionary, and not just random people have an unpopular opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 04:34 PM
Status: "Kamala/Pete 2020!! Make it happen, people." (set 17 days ago)
 
7,356 posts, read 2,933,963 times
Reputation: 6212
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
A Twitter User

: smack:

You know at one point Richard Spencer was on Twitter. I'm so happy that democrats don't go around trying to prove something by claiming someone on Twitter with no power whatsoever has controversial idea.

This is akin to seeing one guy who has a MAGA hat in his profile picture saying something blatantly racist/stupid on twitter, and then going-
"Trump Supporters, believe that we should invade Mexico because it is filled with illegal aliens coming here from another planet to invade America". -thread.

This is how the anti-vaxxer movement starts, people keep reposting idiocy from one of the 7 billion opinions on twitter and eventually it becomes a thing. Just because a woman and her facebook group of 50 have an opinion doesn't mean- "women of color", it means people on twitter have a weird opinion, it isn't thread-worthy in any way and it just helps bog down this forum with unimportant nonsense.

I swear social media is the worst invention of the 21st century. It's actually sad what is going on now, social media is essentially hearing everyone's deep thoughts that they would never share face to face with anyone but now have to share in public, of course your going to end up with everything from "women of color, think the white race is superior and should have their feet licked by the minority populace" to "women of color think white babies should be aborted because of slavery".

Tell me when a politician is advocating for changing the dictionary, and not just random people have an unpopular opinion.
^Nailed.

I had to chuckle because I spent a decent amount of time on Twitter, and I could share so many crazy, ignorant Trumpian opinions from Twitter. Lord knows, there are enough Trump nut balls over there.

It’s ridiculous to attribute all liberals to a group of nutters from social media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 05:23 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 724,280 times
Reputation: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Nah, people [woman] of color is an actual thing. It has real meaning, and that meaning isn’t “every woman.” Also, in case it’s not clear, black people aren’t the only people of color.



Woman of color and colored women are different expressions. Language evolves, but use whatever lexicon you like. I hope it works out for you.
You're just being purposely or ignorantly obtuse.....saying "women of COLOR" is the EXACT SAME THING as saying "COLORED WOMEN". There is no difference but it is entertaining and humorous to see people of lesser depth use this moniker without realizing they are using language they would consider archaic & racist if turned around...i.e; they are calling themselves "colored people" but think reversing it redefines the meaning or definition.

To further aid your apparent limited ability to understand or accept all this, would COLORED CRAYONS be any different or defined some other way if they were called CRAYONS OF COLOR??

Rejoice, for you have been taught and learned a life lesson today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 05:45 PM
 
1,299 posts, read 2,064,565 times
Reputation: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
You're just being purposely or ignorantly obtuse.....saying "women of COLOR" is the EXACT SAME THING as saying "COLORED WOMEN". There is no difference but it is entertaining and humorous to see people of lesser depth use this moniker without realizing they are using language they would consider archaic & racist if turned around...i.e; they are calling themselves "colored people" but think reversing it redefines the meaning or definition.

To further aid your apparent limited ability to understand or accept all this, would COLORED CRAYONS be any different or defined some other way if they were called CRAYONS OF COLOR??

Rejoice, for you have been taught and learned a life lesson today.
I'm typically not a big fan of all this wordsmithing that occurs, but in this case there is historical context behind why "people of color" and "colored people" don't mean the same thing to many. For years the term "colored people" (and the shortened "colored") referred specifically to blacks, esp in the South. While this colloquialism is obviously not as popular, for many that relationship still exists. When one says "person of color", that is representing something different as it's origins are more recent and are not a simple reversing of words.

BTW, not all "Food from China" is what the majority of folks think of when thinking of "Chinese Food".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,726 posts, read 10,051,012 times
Reputation: 20215
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
A Twitter User


: smack:

You know at one point Richard Spencer was on Twitter. I'm so happy that democrats don't go around trying to prove something by claiming someone on Twitter with no power whatsoever has controversial idea.

This is akin to seeing one guy who has a MAGA hat in his profile picture saying something blatantly racist/stupid on twitter, and then going-
"Trump Supporters, believe that we should invade Mexico because it is filled with illegal aliens coming here from another planet to invade America". -thread.

This is how the anti-vaxxer movement starts, people keep reposting idiocy from one of the 7 billion opinions on twitter and eventually it becomes a thing. Just because a woman and her facebook group of 50 have an opinion doesn't mean- "women of color", it means people on twitter have a weird opinion, it isn't thread-worthy in any way and it just helps bog down this forum with unimportant nonsense.

I swear social media is the worst invention of the 21st century. It's actually sad what is going on now, social media is essentially hearing everyone's deep thoughts that they would never share face to face with anyone but now have to share in public, of course your going to end up with everything from "women of color, think the white race is superior and should have their feet licked by the minority populace" to "women of color think white babies should be aborted because of slavery".

Tell me when a politician is advocating for changing the dictionary, and not just random people have an unpopular opinion.
A Twitter user who said what she wrote was for a Scholarship.

Much ado about someone else's business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Elysium
6,592 posts, read 3,641,751 times
Reputation: 4587
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
So tell us what is the meaning of 'people of color.' As generally used it seems to mean 'non-white.' AOC calls herself a 'woman of color.' Is Cameron Diaz, blonde & blue and Hispanic, a 'woman of color?' Growing up I had a good friend who was Palestinian, and about as clown-pale as me, w/ my mostly N. Euro ancestry. Was he a 'person of color?' Is my Vietnamese ex-GF whose skin-tone was actually of more pallor than mine (because she never went in the sun) a 'woman of color?'

Since you say it has 'real meaning,' please tell us what it is. Physical anthro says that 'race' is a phantasmagoria. And while you're at it, tell me why we should divide the world population into 'white' and 'all others.'
If I understand current American racial politics. Because Cameron Diaz's father can link to Cuba she is a person of color. However if we knew for a fact that he was born in Spain and merely lived in Cuba before coming to America she still would be a person of color. Take out a stop by her father in an American land before he came to the US then she would be white with a Hispanic name.

It is within my lifetime, probably post 1967 and the 6 Day War that the Palestinian along with Arabs in general transitioned from white people to peoples of color in America. The Vietnamese ex girlfriend would have fallen under the single drop rule, if we knew about a Chinese or Vietnamese parent, even if the bulk of her ancestry were French, would be a person of color
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 724,280 times
Reputation: 3729
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
I'm typically not a big fan of all this wordsmithing that occurs, but in this case there is historical context behind why "people of color" and "colored people" don't mean the same thing to many. For years the term "colored people" (and the shortened "colored") referred specifically to blacks, esp in the South. While this colloquialism is obviously not as popular, for many that relationship still exists. When one says "person of color", that is representing something different as it's origins are more recent and are not a simple reversing of words.

BTW, not all "Food from China" is what the majority of folks think of when thinking of "Chinese Food".
This is apples to bowling balls and you are trying to cloud the issue using an irrational jump.

We are referring to physical, image descriptors NOT locale or origin definers which is what you are doing.

And no matter how they wish to "represent" it (ever hear of wishful thinking??), one can't just conveniently make up facts or say something doesn't mean the same as something else that is inherently the same because they want simply to (foolishly) try to change the narrative and come up with a cozy, separatist, divisive "buzzword".

So....whether one uses the crayon example or others such as saying a CAR OF RED vs A RED CAR, a TIGER of WHITE vs a WHITE TIGER, a SKY OF BLUE vs. a BLUE SKY and on and on and on and on ad nauseam, the base fact will remain as I said....all these things have equal definitions and meanings....the wishes or the delusions of an agenda or certain group does not alter that to make it as they want it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2019, 08:48 PM
 
21,551 posts, read 11,615,071 times
Reputation: 12305
Black is good in the accounting world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top