U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:00 PM

3,245 posts, read 576,334 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/Threat-Protec.../dp/B07HFMYQPG

Andrew McCabe was FBI deputy director. After James Comey was fired, he became acting director at the request of President Trump, but he too was later fired. Both Comey and McCabe released much-ballyhooed tell-all books after being fired.

I expected a self-serving, self-fawning book, but McCabe goes over the top. He continually pats himself on the back for having bypassed a lucrative law career to join the FBI. And he paints his beloved FBI as a group of almost entirely 'Bobby Boy Scouts' (Mueller's DC nickname). At least Comey cursorily acknowledged some of the sordid FBI history. McCabe appears to be unaware of it.

A lot of the book is filler about his career, but interesting nonetheless. He worked on some high-profile cases, including the 'underwear bomber' (whom he personally interviewed), the investigation of Benghazi (which he oversaw), and the investigation of Hillary's emails.

McCabe excoriates others over conflicts of interest, but FBI conflicts get a dismissive wave of the hand. Peter Strzok was the lead agent on the Hillary email investigation. His lover Lisa Page was the team's lawyer. It turns out that the two were exchanging TDS texts. McCabe writes "their personal views did not affect the investigation...." Also: "Strzok was a gifted investigator. Page was a gifted lawyer. I respected and trusted them both." Agents investigating Hillary exchanging TDS texts? Nah, no conflict there.

McCabe, like Comey, spends an inordinate amount of time trashing the elected US President, usually on the basis of appearance, demeanor, and conversational style. He writes "party politics...should have no place in American law enforcement." (p.105) Then of course he goes on to write a book overflowing with TDS partisanship.

If you wish to read this book, put a hold on it at your library, as I did. Don't contribute a penny of royalties to this disgrace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 07:22 PM

3,324 posts, read 642,373 times
It sounds like a bunch of hyper-partisan crapola by a self-serving narcissist, but I give you credit for working your way through it.

I was at Barnes and Noble today, and I always check out the non-fiction bestsellers to get a sense of the "pulse" of the nation. I was surprised that The Mueller Report was a top seller - I didn't think enough people would actually choose to work their way through it. Have you considered giving that book a read?

Right now I'm reading a book by someone who escaped from HAMAS' clutches and reveals the inner workings of that terrorist group.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:26 PM

McCabe was working out of the NY field office when 9/11 occurred, so he was very involved in the investigation. He lauds the post-attack FBI response lavishly.

He 'forgets' to mention that but for an FBI screw-up, it all could have been prevented. The FBI had possession of Zacharias Moussaoui's laptop, which senate investigators later called a 'roadmap' to 9/11. But the FBI failed to get a warrant to examine it until after the attack. According to James Bovard, they had angered a FISA court judge with dissimulations in a recent case. Being in the dog house, they were reluctant to apply for a warrant.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:29 PM

The books by Comey and McCabe both bring to mind some of the prosecutors in the OJ case. They fudged up the case. The late renowned lawyer Vincent Bugliosi said it was like amateur hour. But several of them went on to get 7-figure book deals about the case.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
McCabe was working out of the NY field office when 9/11 occurred, so he was very involved in the investigation. He lauds the post-attack FBI response lavishly.

He 'forgets' to mention that but for an FBI screw-up, it all could have been prevented. The FBI had possession of Zacharias Moussaoui's laptop, which senate investigators later called a 'roadmap' to 9/11. But the FBI failed to get a warrant to examine it until after the attack. According to James Bovard, they had angered a FISA court judge with dissimulations in a recent case. Being in the dog house, they were reluctant to apply for a warrant.
Wow.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Wow.
Yeah, little noted, but true. It is recounted in a book by James Bovard entitled Terrorism and Tyranny from a few years back. It was late Sen. Arlen Specter (D-R-D, PA) who made the comment about Moussaoui's laptop being a 'roadmap' to 9/11. Moussouaoui, sometimes called the '20th hijacker' had been taken into custody prior to the attack, so the FBI had his laptop.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:57 PM

As I said, McCabe continually pats himself on the back for passing up a lucrative law career to join the FBI. He has a law degree from Washington U. in St. Louis. But I can't find out how much he made from his tell-all book, suggesting that he went out of his way to keep that number private. I think he knew that releasing the number would make him look like more of a hypocrite than he already does.

To me it's unseemly for a guy to cash in like this on a trashy tell-all book, taking advantage of his high-profile career. BTW I did not mention why he was fired: "lacking candor under oath."

Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
As I said, McCabe continually pats himself on the back for passing up a lucrative law career to join the FBI. He has a law degree from Washington U. in St. Louis. But I can't find out how much he made from his tell-all book, suggesting that he went out of his way to keep that number private. I think he knew that releasing the number would make him look like more of a hypocrite than he already does.

To me it's unseemly for a guy to cash in like this on a trashy tell-all book, taking advantage of his high-profile career. BTW I did not mention why he was fired: "lacking candor under oath."
Maybe he's cashing in before Barr is through with him. He can't make money off books he writes in jail.

Now watch the others follow suit. We're going to see trashy "tell-alls" from the entire sordid cast of characters.

Old 06-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Maybe Lynch can pull in some bucks with "The Mystery of the Plane on the Tarmac."

Old 06-09-2019, 08:21 PM

2,257 posts, read 619,648 times
Default A #1 bestseller...Buy a copy for anyone you know!

"The Threat" was published about 4 months ago and unlike the very biased and not so factual interpretation by our CD/OP critic, it was an extremely well received and favorably reviewed book. The OP has left out some crucial details and distorted others, but there will be plenty of people to explain the premise and accuracies of this sourced work to anyone who has not yet read it, as it has appeared on numerous best seller lists.

The book was in the news for weeks with the author giving multiple interviews back in February. I wonder why the OP is resurrecting this tonight? I am delighted to think about it again, however, and may pull it off the shelf and reread it. “The Threat” is a substantive account of how the F.B.I. works, at a moment when its procedures and impartiality are under attack.

The author, Andrew McCabe, a registered Republican for the entirety of his adult life, takes us through his training in Quantico through his experiences chasing the Russian mob, the Boston Marathon bombers and others. It actually is patriotically stirring. It is a book about national security and how the 37000 members of the FBI (and the rest of the intelligence community) painstakingly work to keep Americans safe from threats, both foreign and domestic.

The accounts of his dealings with Jeff Sessions are disturbingly comical and the book does push back against the president’s astonishing war on facts.

The trash talking and lies that Trump spews about Mueller, Comey and McCabe are refuted easily by this book. Learning about the people who work there and the way they do things you will find that the idea of three Republican career FBI men being involved in a plot against the man in the White House is ludicrous. You will be just as concerned as they were, and just as alarmed.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 06-09-2019 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or