U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM

12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That claim has been thoroughly debunked many times here.

I've also debunked it when it rightwingers trying to use red\blue to attack "blue states".

Use your search function, go back about 2 years and I did something like a 10 point list of the major flaws in the claim from both statistical and economic standpoints.

Some of the short version big errors are:
-The assumption that the democrats and repubs in a state all contribute equally to federal tax coffers or crime or whatever idiocy red vs. blue faux analysis are targeting.

-Shared economic goods like military bases, nuclear waste depositories, Indian reservations, interstate highways etc. are somehow "free money" to rural "red" states.

-How they assign crop program $$$$ as well as corporate taxes is grossly flawed too.

There are more, you can learn A LOT of neat concepts by digging into these fyi.
Am I a moderate, liberal or progressive because I lean in the same direction? The direction that considers the facts of these matters while trying to ignore all the immature partisan insults?

Like you, I have looked into these numbers many times. More often than not to point out all the false claims made in the name of pushing an agenda based on false premise. That's a real problem, because most people really don't care about the facts as much as they care about their agenda, right or wrong. If the facts conflict with their blind ideology (like California being a positive net federal tax contributor) then the fact is either ignored or simply lied about!

Consider the number of comments in this thread by people who even bother to evaluate the cost of medical attention for someone not insured to begin with, as compared to what California is considering alternatively. No matter? If money matters, the trade-off costs to treat uninsured people also matters, because even conservatives don't believe a sick person should be refused medical attention. That's not the way hospitals work in any case.

If it's a matter of comparison, fact is California is better compared to other countries given it's significant size of economy, diversity, border with other countries, immigration issues, land mass and so much more. Compare to Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama, and maybe California can be considered far left, but compared to lots of other modern advanced countries, even California is not all that left leaning. We're all still to the right when it comes to universal health care for example.

Most Californians are for sensible immigration reform. Nobody likes anything about the homeless problem, but most Californians are also not wanting to be Nazi, draconian or backward about addressing these issues either. Most people don't realize what it is like to be a POC immigrant, legal OR illegal. Not most of the conservatives commenting in this thread from what I can tell. Certainly not most people complaining the most about them.

Lots of Californians in any case are simply not as inclined to be hypocritical about how we lure these immigrants here to work for us in the first place while at the same time make them out to be parasites, leppers and "bad hombres."

What's wrong with that picture? Nothing really, unless you actually take a good honest look at that picture. Nothing like that happening in threads like this one. Obviously.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:09 PM

12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
We need to get a room. LOL!

You really do make the perfect couple! Please try not to be TOO loud and obnoxious in there...

Old 06-10-2019, 12:17 PM

31,971 posts, read 36,604,313 times
What happened to providing all the Mental Health coverage and needs of the Homeless ??

Old 06-10-2019, 12:19 PM

29,360 posts, read 15,414,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Don't bet the rent money. Real California liberals would never move to Texas. Sounds like something my niece would support.

She has been offered great jobs in Texas, great salary. She said she would never move to Texas for any amount of money.
Thank God.

We have too many as it is.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 PM

22,491 posts, read 11,581,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post

Most Californians are for sensible immigration reform. Nobody likes anything about the homeless problem, but most Californians are also not wanting to be Nazi, draconian or backward about addressing these issues either. Most people don't realize what it is like to be a POC immigrant, legal OR illegal. Not most of the conservatives commenting in this thread from what I can tell.l.
My wife is a POC immigrant. What problems does she face she has never told me about in the 38 years we have been together?

Old 06-10-2019, 12:40 PM

22,491 posts, read 11,581,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Don't bet the rent money. Real California liberals would never move to Texas. Sounds like something my niece would support.

She has been offered great jobs in Texas, great salary. She said she would never move to Texas for any amount of money.
She’s never been to Austin.

If you hate Texas you will love Austin.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:02 PM

9,902 posts, read 8,066,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow, California has really gone beyond stupid. The politicians in Sacramento actually make the politicians in Albany look moderate and rational. Who would have thought?

I can see it already. Taxing working people and giving it to non-working people who should not even be in the country. This is a game changer for the 2020 election. Big time.
Yep. Just when I think the NJ government is nuts, California comes by and says, "Here, hold my beer."

Old 06-10-2019, 01:14 PM

3,659 posts, read 2,330,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
eventually California's largest companies will pull out - Wells Fargo - Oracle - Apple - Intel and leave the state.

1,800 companies either relocated or "disinvested" in the formerly Golden State in 2016. This exodus will only grow.
Wells Fargo is already shopping Charlotte NC with a goal of a complete withdrawl from CA, leaving only the bank branches.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM

2,030 posts, read 857,321 times
Jesus was a liberal rabble rouser. That's why he was executed by the conservatives. Three of his miracles were to heal the sick for free, feed the hungry for free, and provide free wine for everyone at a wedding. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be a Trumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don't believe in Jesus, but if I did....now would be a good time for him to come back and save us from leftists.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM

70 posts, read 13,697 times
I was in Lone Tree, Co. for a week-long IT training course. I frequented a local Wings/Sports Bar (Great Food!). One thing though, almost everyone I met was a transplant from California. I should mention this is a new city - incorporated in the 1990s. Something you don't in the East that often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies