U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 AM

23,080 posts, read 12,289,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Not sure if people are being daft or they sincerely don't get it, but...

How does moving production out of a belligerent and adversarial nation, and towards friendly ones instead, benefit the US as a whole?

Do you really need an explanation?
So this post implies that Trump's concern with trade with China is that they are perceived as a belligerent and adversarial nation NOT because Trump is concerned with the trade deficit.

That's not the impression I have been getting. I could be wrong.

But I thought the whole concern with international trade with Trump is his obsession that we have deficits...even sometimes when there is no deficit (i.e. Canada deficit with goods only -- surplus with goods & services -- so net is a trad surplus......).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 AM

1,089 posts, read 477,833 times
Don’t know tariffs make America great or not, it sure make things costly as artificial inflations with the import tax. China just cut off purchasing American soybeans and tens of billions dollars per year of business is gone forever. Now Trump wants to end the trade war he started. China is doing well with twice the GDP growth rate and record trade surplus.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:09 PM

1,356 posts, read 546,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm sorry, but when did the goal change from increasing jobs and improving the US, to the goal being to hurt China?

Hurting China doesn't help us. So far we have pushed Xi and Putin together in a close friendship.... and that is NOT in our best interest.
That is precisely our goal to push China and Russia together as what had happened between PRC and USSR in 1950s.

What goes on between US and China is not merely a trade war. It is also a war of technology, i.e. how U.S. targets Huawei.

Since US has banned all high technology transfer to China, what China should do is to seek the technology from EU and Japan. EU countries are somewhat neutral in the dispute between US and China. In fact, it tilts a little bit towards China since many countries are fed up with Trump.

But if China enters into alliance with Russia, which is the greatest foe of EU, they will naturally refrain from cooperating with China.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:59 PM

4,684 posts, read 3,612,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Typical wumao/apologist thinking, that China's growth is infinite and somehow impervious to the machinations of the rest of the world. It's not.

In any case, wait a few years until China's demographic time bomb explodes and see how wonderful its already-unstable economy is after that.
Yeah join the likes of Michael Chang whose been foretelling crap like the coming collapse of China for more than a freaking decade now. He’s nothing but sh#2it on a stick and so are his fellow compatriots who hate china. Lol

Old 06-13-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Don’t know tariffs make America great or not, it sure make things costly as artificial inflations with the import tax. China just cut off purchasing American soybeans and tens of billions dollars per year of business is gone forever. Now Trump wants to end the trade war he started. China is doing well with twice the GDP growth rate and record trade surplus.
And...china can stop selling precious metals to us companies. The us will need to start polluting its own land and get these precious metals at a loss. Too bad. China shouldn’t be selling precious metals to foreigners anyway. What were they thinking.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So this post implies that Trump's concern with trade with China is that they are perceived as a belligerent and adversarial nation NOT because Trump is concerned with the trade deficit.

That's not the impression I have been getting. I could be wrong.

But I thought the whole concern with international trade with Trump is his obsession that we have deficits...even sometimes when there is no deficit (i.e. Canada deficit with goods only -- surplus with goods & services -- so net is a trad surplus......).
No trump could care less about a us trade deficit. He is influenced by the China hawks to try to stem the rise of China by forcing China into a self castrating position like the us did with japan in the 1980s. Except that China isn’t japan. The Chinese are independent and not subservient to us military power like japan was and is...so trump will lose his war against China. Trump is too stupid to fight this supposed trade war by himself. He’s being directed by those china haters like mnuchin and others whose name I don’t care to look up to spell correctly.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah join the likes of Michael Chang whose been foretelling crap like the coming collapse of China for more than a freaking decade now. He’s nothing but sh#2it on a stick and so are his fellow compatriots who hate china. Lol
Completely and totally irrelevant comment right here, I'm not sure who this fellow is.

How is China going to simply dodge this enormous social and economic hit? Let me guess: robots. Zzzzzzzz. I know you love China, but it's looking at a very rough future and its leaders know it. This would be a great time for you to come here and find yourself a Chinese guy, though; millions are already unable to find a gf or wife and are getting desperate...

Old 06-14-2019, 05:20 AM

9,779 posts, read 13,353,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
Lowest trade growth in 17 years, and that's just the start...
https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-e...owth-lowest-17
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1TF0NU

China's not going to "go away" or collapse, of course not. But, it's definitely been dealt a series of blows it wasn't prepared to deal with and it's struggling to respond. I doubt that the Chinese people will be able to somehow magically pull together and become sort of fantastical self-sustaining nation that defies the realities of the rest of the globe; this is so far from anything even close to the reality of life and business in China, it's laughable that people who haven't ever lived or probably even traveled here would believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or