U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:54 AM

17,618 posts, read 8,837,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Here in Massachusetts it's the liberals with their beachfront homes on Nantucket Sound who are fighting tooth and nail to block the wind farms that will blot their million dollar views.
Typical liberal/progressive NIMBYS. They also cheat on their taxes to not pay so much, yet want everyone else to pay more. Hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:59 AM

988 posts, read 167,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Typical liberal/progressive NIMBYS. They also cheat on their taxes to not pay so much, yet want everyone else to pay more. Hypocrites.
Oh just stop. I don't see Republicans lining the Florida coast willing to give up a little view. Our beaches won't tolerate a 1 foot rise but no one is asking for renewable energy here. Huckabee is still whining about people walking on the beach blocking his view.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:07 AM

39,449 posts, read 40,753,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The coal industry also gets subsidies, so that should not determine how much of an edge renewable has.

"...The coal industry and its allies in the Trump administration have devoted considerable energy to arguing that subsidies to renewable energy have distorted energy markets and helped drive coal out of business ..."

"...Energy analysts have made the point again and again that fossil fuels, not renewable energy, most benefit from supportive public policy. Yet this fact, so inconvenient to the conservative worldview, never seems to sink in to the energy debate in a serious way. The supports offered to fossil fuels are so old and familiar, they fade into the background. It is support offered to challengers — typically temporary, fragmentary, and politically uncertain support — that is forever in the spotlight..."

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-envir...-oil-subsidies

https://www.taxpayer.net/energy-natu...-of-subsidies/

Just to add looking at the inflated study cited in the Vox article....

Quote:

Inadequate industry fees recouped to cover the Abandoned Mine Land Grant Fund ($400 million):
This is funded by active coal mines, they all pay X amount per ton. It is used to reclaim abandoned mining land which can date back more than a century. Gold mines, ore mines, coal mines, any type of mine. Not a great example but the EPA debacle in Colorado at that abandoned gold mine a few years back was primarily funded by active coal mines.

The way I like to analogize this is if the government required the big three to clean up hundreds of abandoned properties from car companies that went bankrupt early in the past century. We will also require them to pay to clean up abandoned rail yards and ship yards.

I do not know where they are getting this 400 million shortfall from but any funding is effectively a gift to the taxpayer therefore any shortfall is certainly not a subsidy.

Last edited by thecoalman; 06-12-2019 at 05:31 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 05:51 AM

8,619 posts, read 8,525,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Moving away from coal is good. Aside from renewables, natural gas is our best bet and burns very clean.
One sore spot for me is the greenie groups that want to have all the dams demolished, when everything and everyone would actually benefit from holding back more water.
If we were smart we'd put Hydro electric on every stretch of water that could handle it... Low head, run of the river. Everywhere....There's 12 gig worth on existing non powered dams now...

https://www.energy.gov/articles/ener...-us-hydropower

https://hydrosource.ornl.gov/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies