U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM

47,986 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
It seems that most Americans has no clue who Trump was since the 70s.. If you where living in the North East you might have better understating about the man. But maybe not..
The midwest and south seem to belive what the TV producers cast him as.. a "successful business man".

What is most mysterious... It might just be me, but even if I completely agreed 100% with Trumps politics, just the way he acts, talks and treats others, would be a 110% NO vote from me.

A person like that, I would not want as a family member, friend, coworker, boss or neighbor...
You understand within 5 min of talking to a person like that, that he is not normal!
At least I hope you do..

In ANY other job.. he would be fired and walked out of the building with guards within a week or two.. That includes ANY job I have ever held!

And THAT is whats really scary, that many are trivializing the kind of behavior and keep telling themselves that he is just "tricking the Democrats", he really doesn't belive that, he would not do that.. etc etc..

Many held their noses and voted for him... I can accept that... but the number of Republicans who are actually trivializing or accepting his behavior is truly mind boggling. I am afraid they actually want a "strong man".. and not a Republic.
I had a semblance of who he was. My college professor told the class about his Central Park rant. After that I hated Trump. I hated him even more when he went after then-President Obama, and claiming "Obama isn't a citizen". I was hoping that Trump would not run for President. I always figured he was a jerk and a bigot. I had no knowledge of other stuff he did until he started running for President.

Given Trump's behavior and his unbecoming demeanor, I figured he would lose. I figured "the moral compass has to be higher than this". As the campaign drew nearer to a close, I started realizing that there are people who will trivialize his behavior. There were individuals basically making excuses for his behavior. Some saying "he means well" or "he's from NY, that's how they are up there".

"Strongman"!! I haven't heard that term used to describe Trump since I started using it a few years ago. "Strongman" perfectly describes Trump. I have often wondered who would want a "strongman" in office. I also think about some of the most ardent supporters. Many of them feel threatened by something in some sort of way.

I also think about Trump's latest shenanigan. Trump said that if foreign sources had information about his opponent, he might inform the FBI, but he would be willing to accept that information. I didn't hear this from CNN or MSNBC (I don't watch those sources. I don't watch FOX News either). I heard it on the Steve Harvey Morning Show a few hours ago. In political terms, Trump is speaking of considering collusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 AM

34,555 posts, read 28,945,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
There's nothing lamer than people who use "lamestream media".
Yeah... not a fan of it. It somehow implies that traditional news outlets are somehow grossly incorrect and that the only way to get news is from some alt site.

Which is silly unless you're a conspiracy theorist... and I apply that to both sides of the political aisle.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Hmmmm. I've been called liberal/Democrat/etc. on this forum quite a few times, often for simply being critical of the current president.

I am not any of these, nor am I the only one this happens to on this board. I am not sure that the premise of the thread title can be anywhere near true when some of y'all can't even recognize who is liberal.
Same... though I suppose I'm socially rather liberal in that I'm a "live and let live" type who really just wants everyone to mind their own business and not discriminate against people for stuff they cannot control like race, sexual orientation, gender, etc.

I have NEVER been a Democrat. Ever. I have never belonged to a political party. I have been unaffiliated ever since I registered to vote.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I support Trump a 100 percent and I am a Christian and I am able to forgive and overlook his petty character defects with ease. I don't judge the man. That's for God. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. There sure are lots of morally superior ( in there own delusional minds) knuckleheads that sure like to attack, condemn, and belittle the man. The more they do it...the more I lift him up.
If all he had was "petty" character defects, I think most people would ignore those.

He's not an honest person. He's not a man of his word. He's not at all versed in Constitutional Law or in International Political Affairs.

His record as a businessman is abysmal.

These are reasons not to support him.

Not sure where Christianity comes into this. That's got nothing to do with being a President.

If you want to keep your cart hitched to a lame horse, go ahead.

But, I have always had issues with him and the way he does "business" and this isn't just because Trump, the lifelong Democrat, decided to put an R beside his name and start talking about Jesus (he's not religious, so he uses your religion to curry favor).

Old 06-13-2019, 11:31 AM

12,626 posts, read 3,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
"All the surprising number of reps" just proves how hateful and bigoted the left is when it comes to anyone who disagrees with them.

You TDS cases really don't understand the typical Trump voter. We're not the toothless caricatures you envision. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of us are smarter and more successful than the typical never Trumper/liberal.
To improve the understanding gap, wouldn't it help to; a) focus on those who are not hateful and bigoted and b) be a little more specific about what makes you a Trump supporter and/or c) how you are either the same or different from a "typical Trump voter?"

I for one try to focus more on the real differences that matter and spend less time on the typical knuckleheads who can do little better than litter these threads with immature Trump-like insults (though I do enjoy rubbing their nose in their own crap just for kicks now and again).

Not sure your comment helps anyone "understand the typical Trump voter" any better in any case. Just more typical insult far as I can tell. Are you one of these "do as I say not as I do" sort of people?

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'll give you my perspective on some of the Trump supporters I know.
I'll share mine too, based on a place I sometimes go for Sun and recreation, a nice home on a river owned by a very good friend of mine who is also a Trump supporter. The whole complex that surrounds his vacation home is 99% owned by fellow Trump supporters. None at all embarrassed to let you know with their MAGA hats, Trump bumper-stickers (for their many golf carts). Full-sized poster of Trump in one sliding glass door pointed out to me as we sat on one porch there drinking a beer or two...

My good friend always likes to say, "I'm for Trump not because of what he says but what he does."

His father (retired and living in the same complex) is a Mormon evangelist (92 years old) who believes Trump is part of God's plan. Much he believes about the Book of Mormon and the Mormon religion he credits for what makes the United States a great country.

If there is an exception to anyone in this "Trump compound" who does not exclusively watch Fox News, I've yet to meet them. Above referenced father says he doesn't watch anything else because everything else is too liberal.

Most if not all these people seem more emotionally driven by their extreme negative notions about all things liberal sometimes seemingly more so than their admiration for Trump.

All are gun enthusiasts.

Few if any seem at all concerned about the environment as they drive their Razors and motorcycles all over the desert, also all types of water craft up and down the river sucking up gas like there is no tomorrow.

All are big about respecting the flag, saluting the flag, singing the National Anthem, expressing all manner of unconditional devotion and loyalty to America.

I've never seen a black person in this mobile home park. Only white people and some Hispanics. Conservative Hispanics (unless secretly not so). Mostly older white males and their families.

Almost all are similarly negative about government in general. All things guboment. They love that Trump is a business person instead, not beholden to anyone or any party for money, almost no matter what Trump says or does.

Trump "talks straight" far as they are concerned, and they can understand the talk; about fearing Hispanic "bad hombres," the huge wall that will protect us, keeping Muslim terrorists from coming here. No BS from Trump about racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and global warming that lots of these people are not sure even exists.

All that and anything else anyone care believe it means to "make America great again."

I could go on, but I doubt my list is news to anyone or that the rest describing a typical Trump supporter is any sort of unknown. We've all seen the demographics that are important too, well beyond our personal experiences, but I can add that all these Trump people have been plenty good people to be around from a social standpoint. Good people in general. Mostly successful business people too. Not sure if all the alcohol consumption has anything to do with the general good cheer, but no doubt avoiding discussion about politics and religion as a rule is also part of what keeps the peace and the times there more enjoyable for all concerned. Between themselves they're all comfortable knowing they are among their own. A liberal like me in their midst is a rare thing. Not something I go out of my way to advertise anyway. There is little point in doing so, no matter how much I might disagree with something someone says there.

We all know nobody changes their mind about anything no matter what facts, reason and logic is offered. Not once we get past our twenties anyway...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-13-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 05:44 PM

1,422 posts, read 287,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
To improve the understanding gap, wouldn't it help to; a) focus on those who are not hateful and bigoted and b) be a little more specific about what makes you a Trump supporter and/or c) how you are either the same or different from a "typical Trump voter?"

I for one try to focus more on the real differences that matter and spend less time on the typical knuckleheads who can do little better than litter these threads with immature Trump-like insults (though I do enjoy rubbing their nose in their own crap just for kicks now and again).

Not sure your comment helps anyone "understand the typical Trump voter" any better in any case. Just more typical insult far as I can tell. Are you one of these "do as I say not as I do" sort of people?
OP and most of the liberals on here aren't interested in understanding people who disagree with them. That's what happens when your first thought about someone else is "you're a racist."

Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
OP and most of the liberals on here aren't interested in understanding people who disagree with them. That's what happens when your first thought about someone else is "you're a racist."
I don't know about you, but if someone thought I was a racist, I'd certainly want to understand why...

Might be the problem in some cases is that all too many people who are racist or kinda sorta lean toward racist notions don't even realize this about themselves.

Fortunately, I can honestly say I've never been called a racist, and I'm quite sure there is no reason to think I am, because I'm not. More often than not I comment in this forum about the problem of racism, and I have certainly expressed plenty sympathy for victims of racism (sexism, xenophobia and homophobia too). For anyone who has been falsely accused of being a racist, once, twice, then just best to consider the source and move on I think. However, if anyone finds themselves continuously defending against charges of racism and/or if it is true that people's "first thought" about someone else is "you're a racist," then maybe there is good reason to be interested in understanding why that is. Don't you think?

Just recently someone commented about their indifference related to some of these injustices, because they had "no skin in the game" (not black or female or gay). Isn't that a form of racism? Their concerns based on the color of their skin? Indifference because the problem of racism is not really their problem?

I'd be more inclined to argue only a racist thinks that way, because racism is all our problem. Why? Because we're all people regardless the color of our skin! As such we're supposed to have equal respect and/or concern for others, regardless the color of our skin. Right?

Old 06-14-2019, 12:38 PM

Time for me to sign off now, but before I do, here's some "fun" reading maybe someone will appreciate...

One of the crucial properties of contemporary racism is its denial, typically illustrated in such well-known disclaimers as 'I have nothing against blacks, but . . .'.

http://www.discourses.org/OldArticle...f%20racism.pdf

Might be a bit much for all racists to realize they are racist, but for starters I think it's worth noting they exist...

Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM

260 posts, read 52,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Time for me to sign off now, but before I do, here's some "fun" reading maybe someone will appreciate...

One of the crucial properties of contemporary racism is its denial, typically illustrated in such well-known disclaimers as 'I have nothing against blacks, but . . .'.

http://www.discourses.org/OldArticle...f%20racism.pdf

Might be a bit much for all racists to realize they are racist, but for starters I think it's worth noting they exist...
Racism is not a one-way street. If you believe that only (some) whites have racist views against other races/groups, then you're the one in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies