Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times

Advertisements

Thats pretty easy. Libs think. Cons don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:25 PM

926 posts, read 417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Thats pretty easy. Libs think. Cons don't.
Liberals have a monopoly on intelligence and critical thinking?

Old 06-15-2019, 08:15 AM

29,544 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Liberals have a monopoly on intelligence and critical thinking?
Well if explaining that only some whites can be racist, one really has to wonder...

Old 06-15-2019, 11:58 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'll share mine too, based on a place I sometimes go for Sun and recreation, a nice home on a river owned by a very good friend of mine who is also a Trump supporter. The whole complex that surrounds his vacation home is 99% owned by fellow Trump supporters. None at all embarrassed to let you know with their MAGA hats, Trump bumper-stickers (for their many golf carts). Full-sized poster of Trump in one sliding glass door pointed out to me as we sat on one porch there drinking a beer or two...

My good friend always likes to say, "I'm for Trump not because of what he says but what he does."

His father (retired and living in the same complex) is a Mormon evangelist (92 years old) who believes Trump is part of God's plan. Much he believes about the Book of Mormon and the Mormon religion he credits for what makes the United States a great country.

If there is an exception to anyone in this "Trump compound" who does not exclusively watch Fox News, I've yet to meet them. Above referenced father says he doesn't watch anything else because everything else is too liberal.

Most if not all these people seem more emotionally driven by their extreme negative notions about all things liberal sometimes seemingly more so than their admiration for Trump.

All are gun enthusiasts.

Few if any seem at all concerned about the environment as they drive their Razors and motorcycles all over the desert, also all types of water craft up and down the river sucking up gas like there is no tomorrow.

All are big about respecting the flag, saluting the flag, singing the National Anthem, expressing all manner of unconditional devotion and loyalty to America.

I've never seen a black person in this mobile home park. Only white people and some Hispanics. Conservative Hispanics (unless secretly not so). Mostly older white males and their families.

Almost all are similarly negative about government in general. All things guboment. They love that Trump is a business person instead, not beholden to anyone or any party for money, almost no matter what Trump says or does.

Trump "talks straight" far as they are concerned, and they can understand the talk; about fearing Hispanic "bad hombres," the huge wall that will protect us, keeping Muslim terrorists from coming here. No BS from Trump about racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and global warming that lots of these people are not sure even exists.

All that and anything else anyone care believe it means to "make America great again."

I could go on, but I doubt my list is news to anyone or that the rest describing a typical Trump supporter is any sort of unknown. We've all seen the demographics that are important too, well beyond our personal experiences, but I can add that all these Trump people have been plenty good people to be around from a social standpoint. Good people in general. Mostly successful business people too. Not sure if all the alcohol consumption has anything to do with the general good cheer, but no doubt avoiding discussion about politics and religion as a rule is also part of what keeps the peace and the times there more enjoyable for all concerned. Between themselves they're all comfortable knowing they are among their own. A liberal like me in their midst is a rare thing. Not something I go out of my way to advertise anyway. There is little point in doing so, no matter how much I might disagree with something someone says there.

We all know nobody changes their mind about anything no matter what facts, reason and logic is offered. Not once we get past our twenties anyway...
It sounds like you live around a retirement community. This could definitely play a big role. And I think about something else. Said persons being in the twilight years, I don't think they will worry about what anyone has to say about their views.

And you also touched on the very strong disconnect in terms of race. I haven't met one Black person who was an ardent Trump supporter. In fact, the vast majority of Black Americans I met, young AND old, do not like Trump. I get this from experience. This is what I've learned living in and getting around the Atlanta metropolitan area. The vast majority of ardent Trump supporters I've met have been White persons, mainly working class individuals. I know many young (between the ages of 30-40) Trump supporters, and it's mostly working class individuals or individuals who grew up working class. Also, some members of the military. However, of the African-American veterans I've met, none of them support Trump. And I have met some Trump supporters over the age of 50. Most are individuals who listen to FOX News. Maybe it's just me, but the Trump supporters over 50 don't seem overtly hostile of feeling like they were threatened. And it's mainly Trump supporters in the 45-60 age range whom have tried to get me to support Trump. The last person who came close was a woman who seemed to be a fan of Candace Owen. It's not people born in 1980 and after who try to convince me to support Trump.

And the gun enthusiast thing. I like guns. I come from a home where guns were nothing strange. My father collects guns. He's not talking about "they're coming for your guns". In fact, I rarely ever hear African-American men talk about "the Democrats are coming for your guns". The only Black people I've heard talk about gun control have talked about it from a historical perspective. They speak of it from "back in the day they didn't want Black people owning guns because it was a way of controlling Black people". The vast majority of those posting things about "they've coming for your guns" or constantly posting pictures about guns are White male conservatives. This is just what I've observed living in the metropolitan Atlanta area.

I know one or two Hispanic conservatives. Both of them are devout Roman Catholics who are pro-life. Both of them are parents in their 30s. Both were born elsewhere, but raised middle class in the USA. Outside of that, I know of conservative Hispanics, but very few support Trump. Most fall under being religious conservatives.

I basically living in a Trump supporting county. There are other parts of metro Atlanta (Cobb County, Gwinnett County, DeKalb County, Douglas County) that are not big of supporting Trump. It also depends on what kind of places I hang out at. Coffee places, very few Trump supporters outside of some elderly individuals.This is especially so for independent coffee places (i.e. not Starbucks). Restaurants that receive a large number of senior citizens tend to have more Trump supporters among them. Bars (well, more like restaurants that have a bar and serve alot of alcohol) tend to attract many Trump supporters for some reason, especially out towards the exurbs of metro Atlanta. Any place I've been where a large number of persons seem to like the Confederate flag, that area has alot of Trump supporters, both young and old.

In my experience, this is what I understand about many Trump supporters. They do fit a certain demographic. However, it's the mentality that is what concerns me. I'm more about the kind of mentality. What I've noticed is more or less a kind of anger. A feeling of being threatened. It's interesting that you talk about the supporters you know supporting "keeping Muslims out", a fear of Hispanics,etc. I also notice something else. If I were to speak of how vulgar and bigoted Trump could be, there might be a few persons who claim that I'm a "snowflake" or get derided for "being weak" in some form or another. I notice a sense of anger, of siege.

I am see a major racial disconnect. Even many Black conservatives do not like Trump.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump and are becoming increasingly deranged they prove the premise. The Trump base runs in the background untouched by the lamestream media and the imitation wonks in print media as well. The major failure of conservatism so far is our failure to put arch constitutionalists/patriots in the educational pipeline in the 60's when leftist nut cases were everywhere. They have now harvested a crop of witless snowflakes who are twisted in every way. Eco freaks and tree huggers who get a sense of worth from recycling, rather than understanding the brilliance of our founding fathers and the constitution. As the USA was setup to prosper with self sustaining capitalist citizens who don't need to rely on government, it's probably not going to end well.
WHY do you think conservatives shouldn't care about the environment? How can you possibly think it's ok to destroy the earth?

I am conservative in most ways, and I care about the constitution. But none of that prevents me from seeing that none of us will survive if we kill the earth.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
What's wrong about what I posted? Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again." When was it great?

And why shouldn't I know? I spent approximately 30 years in Christian fundamentalism, the backbone of Trumpism. I voted Republican in every national election from 2004 until 2016 because I felt that's what God required and that I would go to hell for supporting a pro-gay or pro-abortion candidate if I voted for the Democrats.
Homosexuality and abortion have nothing to do with Christianity.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
liberals tend to use "critical thinking" skills were one examines ALL points of view...conservatives tend to only support their point of view...by examining all points of view one sometimes becomes uncertain...as in wise men are full of doubt and fools so certain of themselves
I have never known a liberal who examined the conservative point of view on any issue. Never, not one. And never read anything written by a liberal that showed the slightest effort to understand anything about any conservative opinion.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Well if explaining that only some whites can be racist, one really has to wonder...
ok. So, besides intelligence and critical thinking, what else do liberals have a monopoly on: kindness? open-mindedness? tolerance?

Old 06-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

In my experience, this is what I understand about many Trump supporters. They do fit a certain demographic.
What you're describing is true for Georgia. I can very well see it being true for Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, maybe South Carolina and Tennessee as well.
It would be interesting to have testimonies from posters from other parts of the US, to see what kind of people are big Trump supporters in their areas.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:21 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
What you're describing is true for Georgia. I can very well see it being true for Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, maybe South Carolina and Tennessee as well.
It would be interesting to have testimonies from posters from other parts of the US, to see what kind of people are big Trump supporters in their areas.
Well, what I know about alot of Trump supporters comes from where I live. And it would likely be more so for Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Mississippi. It might be similar for conservatives living in places like Oklahoma and Kansas, but not to the same extent as in the Deep South.

I will give an example of how some things work. Kansas and Georgia had situations where a candidate running for governor had a record for voter suppresion. For Georgia, it was Brian Kemp. For Kansas, it was Kris Kobach. Kansas said NO to Kris Kobach. He lost to now-Governor Laura Kelly. A Democratic candidate lost to a Republican candidate in Kansas. In Georgia, Brian Kemp had thousands of registered voters dropped from the rolls, alot of them whom were still living in Georgia. And then the malfunctioning of voting machines, particularly in predominantly Black areas, and then he was caught on a recording, saying, in a nutshell, that he didn't want MORE people voting. All of this, and he still won. Or rather, because of it for some people. Brian Kemp appealed to "good old boy" types.

I think Kansas has a different kind of conservatism than what's found in the Deep South. In my opinion, Kansas politics is more a product of farming country and ranching country. And it has the aerospace industry, as well as the Kansas suburbs of the Greater Kansas City MO-KS area. Farming in KS is different from what Georgia always had. Kansas represents that pioneer turned farmer spirit. Georgia has a long plantation history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies