U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM

14,930 posts, read 13,320,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Many liberals eventually become conservative. If a liberal did not become well off, then they become conservative.

Any liberal that calls for all the changes that they are pushing recently and then see first hand at the cost it takes to implement these policies they will revolt against it.

You want open borders? Sure, once these immigrants starts coming to your home town and need free food, rent, and healthcare. And your taxes go up. You'll think otherwise.

Want environmental regulations? Ok, Obama was about to increase gas and car sales tax by 25% if the mpg doesn't meet standards and penalize gas consumption. Liberals may say they are driving Teslas and could care less. But the cost of goods and services for people who deliver these things will pass down to consumers.

This is why liberals usually don't understand the cause and effects to their issues. Very few liberals understand it until they start paying for the stuff then they complain why taxes and costs goes up without justification.
WRONG. Liberals and conservatives alike know full well what they're doing when they vote yes to raise taxes for a new civic project to make local government bigger. Not all liberals want open borders or drive certain cars.

Conservatives as in the Republican mayor and liberals in Oklahoma City both don't mind keeping the city sales tax up to make government bigger with new civic projects such as street cars downtown. Some talk now for the latest idea to keep city sales tax up is to build a new aquarium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 01:10 PM

260 posts, read 52,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You got it there. Trump has my vote, because he's not the Nation destroying Obama/Hillary, or their Leftist predecessors, and by that fact a far more peaceful man.
I feel the same way.
Plus, let's be honest for a second: Hillary Clinton was a bad candidate. Really. She lost at least as much as Trump won.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM

14,930 posts, read 13,320,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Homosexuality and abortion have nothing to do with Christianity.
LOL, Many people on the Christian Right would quite strongly disagree with you.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 9,873,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.”

-- Socrates
I can just about promise you that the OP has no idea why you replied this to his or her post.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM

12,628 posts, read 3,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It sounds like you live around a retirement community. This could definitely play a big role. And I think about something else. Said persons being in the twilight years, I don't think they will worry about what anyone has to say about their views.
I started my comment by explaining it was "based on a place I sometimes go for Sun and recreation, a nice home on a river owned by a very good friend of mine who is also a Trump supporter. The whole complex that surrounds his vacation home is 99% owned by fellow Trump supporters."

A good distance from my friend's vacation home, I live in the only county in the Bay Area that favored Bernie Sanders over Hillary. About as anti-Trump an area of the country can be. The place I was describing is a place where a lot of Trump-like people go for recreation on weekends, vacation homes, where off-roading in the desert and boating is the main source of outdoor entertainment.

All that said, I suspect your observations and mine about Trump supporters in general are much alike, and again there are always the broader demographics that fill out the picture well beyond anyone's personal observations at the local level.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Homosexuality and abortion have nothing to do with Christianity.
Say what?

Isn't that something like saying crime has nothing to do with law enforcement?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
WHY do you think conservatives shouldn't care about the environment? How can you possibly think it's ok to destroy the earth?

I am conservative in most ways, and I care about the constitution. But none of that prevents me from seeing that none of us will survive if we kill the earth.
Good question and so true on so many levels...

Where does your plastic go? Global investigation reveals America's dirty secret

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-global-crisis

Just read this article before getting to this forum, and to think how many other ways we're quickly mucking up our world. Hard to fathom, but no doubt much of the indifference is beginning to become impossible all over the world!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I have never known a liberal who examined the conservative point of view on any issue. Never, not one. And never read anything written by a liberal that showed the slightest effort to understand anything about any conservative opinion.
You should read more of my comments!

Old 06-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
ok. So, besides intelligence and critical thinking, what else do liberals have a monopoly on: kindness? open-mindedness? tolerance?
I'd say we're not as good at silly questions for starters...

I don't look at this question (or answer) the way you do anyway. I consider what sort of thinking any individual exhibits and consider the merit of that thinking (reason and logic) on an individual basis. Critical thinking, in any case, wouldn't suggest that liberals or conservatives have a "monopoly" on smarts or stupidity. If you get my drift...

Old 06-17-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
They have a monopoly on BELIEVING they have a monopoly on all those things.
Not nitwit comments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies