Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 03:25 PM

926 posts, read 412,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is how I understand things. Two people might live next door to one another. However, they will have different problems, different issues. They are going to pick the person who will look out for their interests. They aren't going to think in terms of "look out for national interests". For person A, a problem they need addressed is more important to them than the national interests. Why? Because person A figured person B will vote for a person who supports policies that are against person A's interest. Person A is going to look out for self because person A figures person B might be a threat to them.
I'm not sure about that. Of course they'll look at their own interests, yes, but they will ALSO (and possibly first) look at the national interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 03:31 PM

7,987 posts, read 10,552,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Lol, they could never top the name calling of the liberals though. They have it down to an art. Do the labels, racist, bigot, hater, etc. ring a bell? Don't be a hypocrite!
You forgot all the "phobes". Homophobes, xenophobes, blah, blah....

Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM

62,439 posts, read 28,688,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
I'm not sure about that. Of course they'll look at their own interests, yes, but they will ALSO (and possibly first) look at the national interests.
People who aren't selfish will look out for the national interests first and foremost. That "what's in it for me" attitude sucks!

Old 06-18-2019, 03:36 PM

72,816 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
People who aren't selfish will look out for the national interests first and foremost. That "what's in it for me" attitude sucks!
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying I understand where it comes from. It comes from a feeling of "I can't trust my neighbor to look out for me, so I have to look out for myself". It comes from a feeling of "I can't put nation before self if it means I have to make some major sacrifices, sacrifices that could hurt me". It's a mentality of fear, distrust, and a survival mentality.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
It's also important to understand the history of this country, and that some things just don't change. This country has always been divided. And as of 2019, I don't see that changing. In many cases, we don't need politicians to divide people. Alot of people simply don't trust each other.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I agree. To be honest, I was shocked the first time I read it here on CD.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's also important to understand the history of this country, and that some things just don't change. This country has always been divided. And as of 2019, I don't see that changing. In many cases, we don't need politicians to divide people. Alot of people simply don't trust each other.
Well, all I can say is that my experience in America has been different. I've found Americans to be quite friendly and ready to help a stranger, if needed.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
I agree. To be honest, I was shocked the first time I read it here on CD.
As cynical as I can be, this is what I've learned in 33 years of living. Alot of people are out for themselves, regardless of what they say.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Well, all I can say is that my experience in America has been different. I've found Americans to be quite friendly and ready to help a stranger, if needed.
And I've run into people who would do the same. I've also been around some very selfish people (and been victimized by some). I've seen enough bad that I have to watch out. I've seen alot of good, and I've seen alot of bad.

As far as voting goes, people will consider national issues. They are also going to weigh what issues are important to them. People are going to this "is this issue really going to affect me or will something else?". I've learned that many people are like that.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 AM

29,335 posts, read 9,517,834 times
Quote:
Oh, sure. At the national level, yes. But I was talking about NYC Republicans. You can be certain that the numbers would be different for that group.
Of course...

Subsets of the total data base will very often differ from the whole, but I think more generally speaking the focus here is on Republicans vs Democrats in the aggregate across the country, liberals vs conservatives (per the title of the thread). Locally, on the other hand, another story. In New York, I'd be curious how true your assumption about NYC Republicans might be, because my assumption is that most of the 32% pro-lifers in the state (in this poll) are Republicans...

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...tion/by/state/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies