U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 07:09 PM

47,988 posts, read 45,443,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Just sitting here in Trump land, beer in my hand and watching backyard t-ball go down. The world is crazy but not here...not here...
I live in Trump land. It's kind of crazy here. Meth is a big problem in the county I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Expand away but not as if we've not heard lots about this sad dynamic for a good while now, from lots of people...

"Trump provokes anxiety in both the right and the left perhaps equally, albeit in very different ways. For the right, he fuels their fears about minorities and dissimilar others, calling Hispanic immigrants “murderers and rapists,” and stating in blanket-fashion that “Islam hates us.” His demonization of the “liberal media” and the Obama administration has transformed many right-wingers into full-fledged conspiracy theorists.

For the left, President Trump is the fear. His narcissistic personality and unpredictable, unrestrained behavior makes him a dangerous commander-in-chief—one that is liable to get the U.S. into a game of nuclear chicken with countries led by similarly erratic leaders, like North Korea. Trump’s policies and willingness to please his most extreme supporters threatens the rights of gays, transgender folk, and women across the country. The only thing liberals might fear worse than Trump himself is the sentiment he brings out in his supporters, which has already proved deadly in Charlottesville, Virginia.

As a result of the amplified fear and anxiety on the right and the left, the nation is more polarized than ever, and tensions seem to be at an all-time high.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...es-how-we-heal
Based on what you've this, this is what I can say. Trump is someone who knows how to be a good divider. Actually, Trump doesn't have to do that. We're already a very divided. It's always been this way. However, what Trump did is take those divides and played up to them. He knew the divisions were there, and the stuff he says does provoke anxiety. Those who like this, he says things that they want to here. He says things that they are feeling. It is one thing to be against illegal aliens and wanting immigration laws to be enforced. However, Trump took it to the next level. It's one thing to be concerned about terrorism and want to make sure that refugees are vetted properly. Trump took it to another level by speaking to the fear and anger of some of those who would vote for him. Those who adamantly love him like that he speaks to their fear and anger.

And those persons like that he whips up anger and fear in the left/liberals. Trump angers many liberals and it has much to do with his demeanor and unstable personality. Many who like Trump see it as "he's angering the left". There were some things I didn't like about former President Bush. And there was some vitriol towards him from many liberals. However, it was not to the same level as what we're seeing towards Trump. Most of what was going on had more to do with the war than anything else. With Trump, the anger has everything to do with not just policy, but Trump himself. There is one thing I can say about Bush. He didn't speak to the levels of anger in his supporters. He could talk tough, but at the same time, well, you can never mistaken him for Trump. One was expected to rise to Bush's level. Trump drops down to the level of those who don't mind being irrational.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 PM

5,152 posts, read 1,418,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in Trump land. It's kind of crazy here. Meth is a big problem in the county I live in.
I also live in a Trump area and meth is not an issue. But, growth is a big thing, with a great economy, low unemployment and low poverty. So you see, one cannot say this area is for Trump and is this or that area is for Trump and is that.

This continued division is killing us.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I also live in a Trump area and meth is not an issue. But, growth is a big thing, with a great economy, low unemployment and low poverty. So you see, one cannot say this area is for Trump and is this or that area is for Trump and is that.

This continued division is killing us.
Well, lucky for you. The county I live in has had several drug busts over the last few years. The county has grown alot in population, but this has been going on over the last 25 years.

As for low unemployment, unemployment started dropping towards 2012 and kept dropping into 2016. Trump gets no credit for that.

And this country has always been divided, from day one. It's killing this country, but Trump isn't the solution.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:37 AM

12,636 posts, read 3,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
Just sitting here in Trump land, beer in my hand and watching backyard t-ball go down. The world is crazy but not here...not here...
Guess you're not in Colorado...

Kids pay for parents' brawl at Colorado baseball game involving 7-year-olds

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...sports-parents

I'm sitting here far from Trump land and all seems good here too, except for learning in the news this morning that Trump nearly pulled his hair trigger in the direction of Iran but then somebody told him some people might die, and apparently that got him to thinking...

Crazy is what got Trump elected no matter where you live!

Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Based on what you've this, this is what I can say. Trump is someone who knows how to be a good divider. Actually, Trump doesn't have to do that. We're already a very divided. It's always been this way. However, what Trump did is take those divides and played up to them. He knew the divisions were there, and the stuff he says does provoke anxiety. Those who like this, he says things that they want to here. He says things that they are feeling. It is one thing to be against illegal aliens and wanting immigration laws to be enforced. However, Trump took it to the next level. It's one thing to be concerned about terrorism and want to make sure that refugees are vetted properly. Trump took it to another level by speaking to the fear and anger of some of those who would vote for him. Those who adamantly love him like that he speaks to their fear and anger.

And those persons like that he whips up anger and fear in the left/liberals. Trump angers many liberals and it has much to do with his demeanor and unstable personality. Many who like Trump see it as "he's angering the left". There were some things I didn't like about former President Bush. And there was some vitriol towards him from many liberals. However, it was not to the same level as what we're seeing towards Trump. Most of what was going on had more to do with the war than anything else. With Trump, the anger has everything to do with not just policy, but Trump himself. There is one thing I can say about Bush. He didn't speak to the levels of anger in his supporters. He could talk tough, but at the same time, well, you can never mistaken him for Trump. One was expected to rise to Bush's level. Trump drops down to the level of those who don't mind being irrational.
Among much that "rubs me the wrong way" about Trump, is this sense of embarrassment that the United States should choose such a man to be POTUS. America isn't perfect by any means, but I've always had some pride in whatever way we've managed to be a GOOD leader of the free world. Now putting Trump at the helm, watching how he speaks, tweets, reasons and insults like an immature child, just embarrasses the Hell out of me. Something like having an uncle who is a deek, so you avoid him like a bad smell, and you're embarrassed he's part of your family...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-21-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 06-21-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Well, lucky for you. The county I live in has had several drug busts over the last few years. The county has grown alot in population, but this has been going on over the last 25 years.

As for low unemployment, unemployment started dropping towards 2012 and kept dropping into 2016. Trump gets no credit for that.

And this country has always been divided, from day one. It's killing this country, but Trump isn't the solution.
I surely WISH Trump gets no credit, but with Trump supporters, Trump gets ALL the credit! If it's a good thing, Trump gets credit. Another source of real embarrassment...

Though there has always been difference of opinion beginning with our founding fathers who vigorously debated much even then, the sort of divide we're seeing now is different. The divide today seems to be more about differences related to our basic sense of morals and ethics, what is "classy," respectable and admirable, well beyond the typical political divide that has always existed in this country and always will.

Trump has introduced something into the air that I for one have never witnessed a POTUS do before anyway...

Old 06-21-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Among much that "rubs me the wrong way" about Trump, is this sense of embarrassment that the United States should choose such a man to be POTUS. America isn't perfect by any means, but I've always had some pride in whatever way we've managed to be a GOOD leader of the free world. Now putting Trump at the helm, watching how he speaks, tweets, reasons and insults like an immature child, just embarrasses the Hell out of me. Something like having an uncle who is a deek, so you avoid him like a bad smell, and you're embarrassed he's part of your family...
Just remember this. Trump might have won the election, but he lost the popular vote. A majority of people didn't vote for him. Alot of people just feel stuck with him at this point. Among those that did vote for him, some of them take the "yeah we vote for him, so go suck a lemon" mentality. If this were TV, I think about individuals from The Simpsons. Specifically these characters: Bart, Homer, and Monty Burns.

When I look at Trump, and then listen to him, I don't think "leader". I think "buffoon". He doesn't seem like a leader to me. However, there are people that love him as if he was the second coming or something. And then I think about it. Part of me understands why. And this only pertains to very staunch Trump supporters. He fulfills a big need for them. He speaks on their level. They can relate to him. He talks vulgar, crazy, and he's unhinged. He speaks to an anger than many individuals have. Said persons are angry, bitter, and for many reasons. He echoes that anger.

You can talk about terrorism and illegal immigration, you can be honest, without actively seeking enemies. Trump, however, is doing what some people would like for him to do. Some view it as "us vs them". There is no "middle ground". There is no being a moderate. There is no trying to be diplomatic. Some see Trump from this perspective: "We don't want diplomatic and respectful. If they're not with us they are against us and we want that line drawn". When he says "bad hombres", we know what he means and they know what he means. He isn't going to say "those Mexicans". He doesn't have to. Now, if you want to talk about illegal immigration, you could do so without bringing up race and ethnicity. You can be firm and fair at the same time. You'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. But Trump insists on using vinegar. I think Trump is a reflection of how some people think and feel, but don't always say so.

Some people look to a vulgar, immature uncle for some reasons. Some people feel like "well, he's real" or "he's the only one with any truth in him". They are willing to overlook his nasty faults for such reasons. Or, some people relate to him because they are like that themselves.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I surely WISH Trump gets no credit, but with Trump supporters, Trump gets ALL the credit! If it's a good thing, Trump gets credit. Another source of real embarrassment...

Though there has always been difference of opinion beginning with our founding fathers who vigorously debated much even then, the sort of divide we're seeing now is different. The divide today seems to be more about differences related to our basic sense of morals and ethics, what is "classy," respectable and admirable, well beyond the typical political divide that has always existed in this country and always will.

Trump has introduced something into the air that I for one have never witnessed a POTUS do before anyway...
It is all about "if you don't support Trump, you're against us". Trump can't take all of the credit, and many people know this. And even using numbers doesn't change the minds of some.

I agree with you that the divide has a big part to do with morals, ethics, and class. We have always had divides in this country for one reason or another. However, nowadays, things that would have been considered unthinkable in 2004 seem permissible today. It would have been unthinkable in 2004 to have a President constantly on social media poking the proverbial bear. It would have been unfathomable to have former President Bush or former President Obama on Twitter calling people stupid or tweeting some false racially motivated statistic. It would have been unthinkable to have a sitting President insult a veteran or call someone a "dumb southerner". And yet, we have individuals who think this is perfectly okay. Or, for those who don't particularly care for such behavior, they overlook it , make excuses for it, or don't seem to care.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 PM

260 posts, read 52,920 times
Quote:
You know, Trump is actually quite popular abroad, for a US President. I understand your embarrassment at the idea of having a "dumb" (or seemingly dumb) President - this concern was legitimate under George W. Bush. Bush Jr was perceived as dumb, arrogant, and a daddy's son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies