U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 03:28 PM

48,172 posts, read 45,495,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
You know, Trump is actually quite popular abroad, for a US President. I understand your embarrassment at the idea of having a "dumb" (or seemingly dumb) President - this concern was legitimate under George W. Bush. Bush Jr was perceived as dumb, arrogant, and a daddy's son.
He's popular in Russia and Israel. He's isn't very popular in other parts of the world. He isn't that popular in much of Europe outside of Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM

260 posts, read 53,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He's popular in Russia and Israel. He's isn't very popular in other parts of the world. He isn't that popular in much of Europe outside of Russia.
For a US President, he is.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
He might be well known, but only a few countries actually like or respect him.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 AM

12,735 posts, read 3,228,585 times
Quote:
Just remember this. Trump might have won the election, but he lost the popular vote. A majority of people didn't vote for him. Alot of people just feel stuck with him at this point. Among those that did vote for him, some of them take the "yeah we vote for him, so go suck a lemon" mentality. If this were TV, I think about individuals from The Simpsons. Specifically these characters: Bart, Homer, and Monty Burns.

When I look at Trump, and then listen to him, I don't think "leader". I think "buffoon". He doesn't seem like a leader to me. However, there are people that love him as if he was the second coming or something. And then I think about it. Part of me understands why. And this only pertains to very staunch Trump supporters. He fulfills a big need for them. He speaks on their level. They can relate to him. He talks vulgar, crazy, and he's unhinged. He speaks to an anger than many individuals have. Said persons are angry, bitter, and for many reasons. He echoes that anger.

You can talk about terrorism and illegal immigration, you can be honest, without actively seeking enemies. Trump, however, is doing what some people would like for him to do. Some view it as "us vs them". There is no "middle ground". There is no being a moderate. There is no trying to be diplomatic. Some see Trump from this perspective: "We don't want diplomatic and respectful. If they're not with us they are against us and we want that line drawn". When he says "bad hombres", we know what he means and they know what he means. He isn't going to say "those Mexicans". He doesn't have to. Now, if you want to talk about illegal immigration, you could do so without bringing up race and ethnicity. You can be firm and fair at the same time. You'll attract more flies with honey than vinegar. But Trump insists on using vinegar. I think Trump is a reflection of how some people think and feel, but don't always say so.

Some people look to a vulgar, immature uncle for some reasons. Some people feel like "well, he's real" or "he's the only one with any truth in him". They are willing to overlook his nasty faults for such reasons. Or, some people relate to him because they are like that themselves.
Not sure how remembering any of this helps me or America any, but I am thankful that not all Americans are inspired by people like Trump. Though we really can't be sure who would have won the popular vote if all the popular vote had been counted, if all in the most blue and red states had voted, we should all at least recognize the significant number of Americans who did NOT vote for Trump, and hopefully the significant number who are more likely to turn out their vote against Trump the next time around.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
It is all about "if you don't support Trump, you're against us". Trump can't take all of the credit, and many people know this. And even using numbers doesn't change the minds of some.

I agree with you that the divide has a big part to do with morals, ethics, and class. We have always had divides in this country for one reason or another. However, nowadays, things that would have been considered unthinkable in 2004 seem permissible today. It would have been unthinkable in 2004 to have a President constantly on social media poking the proverbial bear. It would have been unfathomable to have former President Bush or former President Obama on Twitter calling people stupid or tweeting some false racially motivated statistic. It would have been unthinkable to have a sitting President insult a veteran or call someone a "dumb southerner". And yet, we have individuals who think this is perfectly okay. Or, for those who don't particularly care for such behavior, they overlook it , make excuses for it, or don't seem to care.
True, and to think we would elect a POTUS even after getting caught on tape explaining how women will let you treat them like a bowling ball if your famous. Truly amazing and "unpresidented."

'Unpresidented' Trump tweet on China sets off deluge of mockery

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...deluge-mockery

I mean even GW Bush who asked "is our children learning?" Even Bush hardly embarrassed himself or the country anything like Trump has done starting even before he got elected!

When EVER did a POTUS get the U.N. literally laughing at him/us?

"Unthinkable" once upon a time, but now we're forced to hardly think about anything else on almost a daily basis...

Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
You know, Trump is actually quite popular abroad, for a US President. I understand your embarrassment at the idea of having a "dumb" (or seemingly dumb) President - this concern was legitimate under George W. Bush. Bush Jr was perceived as dumb, arrogant, and a daddy's son.
You really should include some source when making statements like these, because although some people seem to think that simply saying so makes it so (and of course this works with all too many people), the facts remain...

Trumpís International Ratings Remain Low, Especially Among Key Allies

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...ng-key-allies/

I was quick to attempt a find that might support your claim, because I've traveled abroad and though I know there are people everywhere who will get behind just about anything or anyone, I have yet to encounter a foreigner who doesn't think America essentially "lost its mind" when it made Trump POTUS. Same with other American travelers who have reported the same thing from their travels...

Old 06-22-2019, 03:18 PM

15,242 posts, read 8,532,850 times
Quote:
Yeah...he's very popular abroad with Russia, N. Korea, and China...and whoever else acts as a dictator. They'd love to drag the U.S. down to their level...and Trump is more than willing.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure how remembering any of this helps me or America any, but I am thankful that not all Americans are inspired by people like Trump. Though we really can't be sure who would have won the popular vote if all the popular vote had been counted, if all in the most blue and red states had voted, we should all at least recognize the significant number of Americans who did NOT vote for Trump, and hopefully the significant number who are more likely to turn out their vote against Trump the next time around.
If nothing else, this is to give some kind of understanding of very staunch Trump supporters. Those who don't want Trump in office will understand what they are dealing with. A majority of voters didn't pick Trump. However, because Trump won, the zealots among Trump's voting base (and specifically the zealots) will swear up and down that Trump is the best. Those who are zealous for Trump know that there are plenty of people who don't think like them. However, because Trump won, they likely feel validated, listened to, attended to. This time, those who didn't vote need to come out in very large numbers.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
True, and to think we would elect a POTUS even after getting caught on tape explaining how women will let you treat them like a bowling ball if your famous. Truly amazing and "unpresidented."

'Unpresidented' Trump tweet on China sets off deluge of mockery

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...deluge-mockery

I mean even GW Bush who asked "is our children learning?" Even Bush hardly embarrassed himself or the country anything like Trump has done starting even before he got elected!

When EVER did a POTUS get the U.N. literally laughing at him/us?

"Unthinkable" once upon a time, but now we're forced to hardly think about anything else on almost a daily basis...
Well, consider that these days, it's easier to dig up dirt on the opposition. If someone paid enough money, we could find plenty of dirt of former President Bush Jr. I think Trump winning likely symbolized that we've always had people who will overlook the most heinous things, for the right price. It's always been there. I think this time the opportunity showed itself.

At least with former President Bush, he never flaunted being immoral. Bush admitted to his drunk driving. He admitted that he made mistakes in the past and tried to rectify them. Trump has that "so what" mentality. Bush never seemed very smart to me. However, when I think about the days following September 11, 2001, I think he was the kind of leader we needed during the last 3 months of 2001. He was firm, tough, but humble. During that time when I was a teenager, I wasn't embarrassed that he was the President of the USA.

What I see with Trump, he talks to the gutter. He goes down to the level of the gutter. However, I don't think some of Trump's zealots care that the U.N. is laughing at Trump. They likely see it as "well, screw the U.N. America first". I think about the Bush supporter base. I think of God, Family, Country, and Main Street. When i think about Trump, I think of Al Bundy, Roseanne, Bart Simpson, Homer Simpson, Monty Burns.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:56 PM

21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
Quote:
this is simply factually wrong. It's not a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Americaís global image plummeted following the election of President Donald Trump, amid widespread opposition to his administrationís policies and a widely shared lack of confidence in his leadership. Now, as the second anniversary of Trumpís election approaches, a new 25-nation Pew Research Center survey finds that Trumpís international image remains poor, while ratings for the United States are much lower than during Barack Obamaís presidency.
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...ng-key-allies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies