U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 02:45 PM

260 posts, read 52,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
As for Trump popularity in Israel. After Trump's unilateral declares Jerusalem the capital of Israel?

He only got a town named after him?
Yes, Ramat Trump, up North. A tiny town right now, but might grow with time.

He was popular from the very beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 03:05 PM

260 posts, read 52,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He is known for the wrong reasons. Now, I need your answer. Why do you love Trump so much? I have to ask because from my view, I see nothing lovable about him.
There are several reasons. Initially, I wasn't so much pro-Trump as I was anti-Clinton. Truly, deeply anti-Hillary-Clinton. Trump's election was a relief in that sense.
4 years of Clinton would have meant 4 more years of neo-con international policy, wars, blood and tears.

Now, regarding Trump himself: I had heard of him before. Having lived in New York City back in 2005-2007, I was familiar with the name and had basic knowledge of his story. I knew he was an incredibly smart and witty man with an oversized ego.

Since being elected, he has done what is best for the US, a country I love. The economy is booming, unemployment is low. No more unnecessary warmongering. No more pitting groups of people against each other. Trump is about getting the work done, not pleasing anyone or bowing down to political correctness. In more than one way he is similar to Rudy Giuliani, who did an amazing job lifting New York City up.
Both are what you could call "New York Republicans" - they are a different version of GOP than the one you have down South.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:16 PM

47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
There are several reasons. Initially, I wasn't so much pro-Trump as I was anti-Clinton. Truly, deeply anti-Hillary-Clinton. Trump's election was a relief in that sense.
4 years of Clinton would have meant 4 more years of neo-con international policy, wars, blood and tears.

Now, regarding Trump himself: I had heard of him before. Having lived in New York City back in 2005-2007, I was familiar with the name and had basic knowledge of his story. I knew he was an incredibly smart and witty man with an oversized ego.

Since being elected, he has done what is best for the US, a country I love. The economy is booming, unemployment is low. No more unnecessary warmongering. No more pitting groups of people against each other. Trump is about getting the work done, not pleasing anyone or bowing down to political correctness. In more than one way he is similar to Rudy Giuliani, who did an amazing job lifting New York City up.
Both are what you could call "New York Republicans" - they are a different version of GOP than the one you have down South.
I disagree with this for many reasons. Trump might have accomplished alot of things. However, my reasons for not liking him have alot to with him not being helpful for me. I am anti-Clinton. I don't like her either. She's a snake in my book. That's why I voted for a 3rd party in 2016. My first time ever doing that. I could not stand either of them.

Now, my reasons.

1) Trump has more than just an ego problem. He has a reckless mentality and he has a "strongman" attitude.

We know that he's wrong for those Central Park 5 comments. He refuses to apologize. He was very quick to go crazy on the Central Park 5, but when Heather Heyer got murdered by a white supremacist, he was very slow to call it out, and he did it in a very stupid way. The "there are good people on both sides" crap doesn't fly with me. There is nothing good about people screaming "Jews will not replace us".

Other things he has done include retweeting a Neo-Nazi tweet. That tweet included very bigoted and false statistics about Black crime, and those "statistics" listed a source that doesn't exist. The only reason someone would retweet that is because they have a bigoted mindset. And then when called in it, he said "I never check my sources". Why would I want someone like that to be the President of this country?

Then there is his comment "I like soldiers who weren't captured". If Trump had issues with John McCain, he didn't need to hit below the belt like that. That was a really stupid thing to say.

There is also he "look at my African-American over there" comment, pointing out a Black man at a Trump rally in Redding,CA. What kind of President does crap like that?

2) Funny you mention Giuliani and Trump in the same sentence. Guiliani is the one who started Stop & Frisk. Trump wanted to see Stop and Frisk taken nationwide. It violates the 4th Amendment, unreasonable search and seizure. You need more than just a hunch. You need probable cause to stop and search someone. S&F operates off of less than that. And the murder rate in NYC was dropping BEFORE that policy was tried. Most of the people who were stopped and frisked were not found to be doing anything wrong. It just turned into alot of Blacks and Hispanics getting their 4th Amendment rights violated. I'm against Stop and Frisk, and any President who wants it expanded nationally is a threat to me.

3) Something else. Trump doesn't have to try hard to pit people against each other. We're already there. We've been there for quite some time, long before the 21st century started. We're just seeing the seeds of it bloom. Liberals and conservatives ripping at each other. Racial tensions all over the place. Actually, that has been a problem in this country from day one. Trump himself has said some very divisive things, which I have notice in reason #1. There is being honest and getting down to business, and then there is just being a complete a-hole.

I don't see Trump as a New York Republican. He is just a more blunt version of the Republicans I've dealt with in the South.

4) Trump doesn't deserve as much credit for the economy as he is being given. The unemployment rate has been dropping since 2012. Under Trump, all he has really done is maintained it. Trump has not helped create jobs. He just inherited a falling unemployment rate. And Trump himself said that the UE rate is isn't the real rate. Well, there is something that hasn't been discussed, something no President has been able to do. Get more Americans working. The unemployment rate is about those who are technically part of the workforce but don't have jobs. He hasn't address the workforce participation rate, which has been dropping each year since 2007. That hasn't gone up.

And being a Black person, I notice there are individuals who claim that I should appreciate Trump. Black Americans are the only group who watched their unemployment rates go up between 2018 and 2019. The group who suffers the worst from unemployment and poverty hasn't done much better. Now, I have a job, so I'm alright. However, I spent much of the Trump administration unemployed or underemployed. And this is in spite of me having a college degree and a bit of professional experience.

And I want to mention something else. For as much as I don't want us being involved in the Middle East, and it is an issue, maybe I just haven't felt the effects of it yet. I know that other people have felt the effects of war.

In conclusion, from my perspective, and for all the things I have to deal with, Trump hasn't done anything for me. In your case, you live overseas so you don't have to deal with it. I live in the USA. I have to deal with it every day unless I leave the USA. And I have thought about leaving the USA (I considered doing it as far back as my teenage years). I'm still here, so it is me that has to deal with Trump. I see him from the perspective of someone who lives in the USA. The perspective of someone who feels looked down on alot.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM

5,098 posts, read 2,743,062 times
I look at trumps people and see exactly how they operate and think. I think look at the leftists and see the same.

I fear from both as neither are rational.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I look at trumps people and see exactly how they operate and think. I think look at the leftists and see the same.

I fear from both as neither are rational.
The thing is, being rational takes sitting down and thinking. There are many on both sides who are angry,who don't want compromise, who look at things as "it's my way or no way". And I'll admit it, there are times that I think this way. Anger, fear, the feeling of "I need to survive" has turned many people irrational, or some people are just like this and it's coming out in full force.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:53 PM

36,736 posts, read 16,339,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post

Another thing is he is addressing the illegal immigration problem but the poster you are replying to sees nothing positive about that? In fact most liberals see that as a negative they want to see our country filled up with more minorities even if that means coming here illegally and raping our country.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:56 PM

10,467 posts, read 8,417,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
This is probably the most bigoted and false piece of pap Iíve ever read on this site.
Ö and here I was thinking it was one of the most human and compassionate and honest posts I'd ever read on this site. Who knew?

Old 06-29-2019, 04:56 PM

5,098 posts, read 2,743,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The thing is, being rational takes sitting down and thinking. There are many on both sides who are angry,who don't want compromise, who look at things as "it's my way or no way". And I'll admit it, there are times that I think this way. Anger, fear, the feeling of "I need to survive" has turned many people irrational, or some people are just like this and it's coming out in full force.

anger and fear are never good times to start thinking and trying to drive political discourse. IMO the culture of softness and being offended has gone way past any sensible point. When somebody starts telling me their opinion and leads with that they have been offended I immediately stop caring.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
anger and fear are never good times to start thinking and trying to drive political discourse. IMO the culture of softness and being offended has gone way past any sensible point. When somebody starts telling me their opinion and leads with that they have been offended I immediately stop caring.
They aren't good ways to start a political discourse. I agree. Sadly, that is the point in which so many things start. History has shown where anger and fear lead. I don't think it's "softness" as such. The thing is that we've always had a strain of tribalism and divisions in this country. We can start with all the racial strife that has been in this countries for centuries. We can start with the Civil War. Thousands killed because some sullen plantation owners wanted to keep slavery. People have always been "offended" by things for a long time, and reacted violently. Look at the reaction to school busing in Boston during the 70s. Violence. Look for a photo of "Soiling Old Glory".

Old 06-30-2019, 03:50 AM

30,684 posts, read 33,445,013 times
A lot of conservatives used to be liberal, that seems to be the progression for the majority. I know people can also go the other direction but honestly I've never met anyone who did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies