U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-30-2019, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Chicago area
14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times
Reputation: 53461

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
"All the surprising number of reps" just proves how hateful and bigoted the left is when it comes to anyone who disagrees with them.


You TDS cases really don't understand the typical Trump voter. We're not the toothless caricatures you envision. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of us are smarter and more successful than the typical never Trumper/liberal.
LOL Okay. It's not TDS it's a concern for the change in personality I've seen with good people turned into haters. (I was just at a party last night in a million dollar plus house with rich friends who are both attorneys. I would consider them pretty successful and they did not vote for Trump. So there goes that theory.)
Perception has nothing to do with hate or TDS. I've seen my Trump supporting friends become bigoted. "I want the wall because some Mexican's were speaking Spanish at my gym and it irritated me." My response was "Do you think they will all magically disappear because Trump builds a wall? What about the Mexican's that are citizens, are they supposed to go too?" Her response was to say that I was upsetting her and not invite me in to see her daughter and grand child but to invite someone standing next to us who hadn't known her more than a nano second. I had just finished shoveling her snow, I think maybe a thank you was the least she could have done, but no, not even that. I was upsetting her because I gave her some facts that interfered with her hate fantasy. That makes me bigoted? I don't think so.

You're so typical of a Trump supporter that doesn't want to hear anything but sugar coated truth and spin. I would bet that you never even looked at one passage from the Mueller report and you wouldn't believe it any way. It's bizarre to be that attached to a president who doesn't even know your name.

( Actually, one of those reps came from one ardent Trump supporter and was quite a nice surprise.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A lot of conservatives used to be liberal, that seems to be the progression for the majority. I know people can also go the other direction but honestly I've never met anyone who did.
I was moderately liberal when I turned 18. When I got around religious conservatives, I turned conservative, at age 18. A year later, I started to turn away from conservatism. I never turned away from my faith. I just turned away from conservatism. I still held on to certain opinions. However, I started to embrace socialism and slowly became an environmentalist. Rising gas prices, living in an area that was quite hard on pedestrians. I also felt at that time that conservatism would not do me any good as a Black person. I flipped from liberal to conservative and back to liberal.

Since my mid 20s, I really haven't identified with either liberal or conservative. I'm a registered Democrat, but I'm at the point where I don't really fit with any party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Israel
260 posts, read 52,792 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A lot of conservatives used to be liberal, that seems to be the progression for the majority. I know people can also go the other direction but honestly I've never met anyone who did.
True. I'm one of these people. Back in my late teens I was very liberal - both socially and fiscally. Since then I have slowly but surely drifted to the right. Still liberal regarding some social issues, but definitely conservative fiscally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Israel
260 posts, read 52,792 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another thing is he is addressing the illegal immigration problem but the poster you are replying to sees nothing positive about that? In fact most liberals see that as a negative they want to see our country filled up with more minorities even if that means coming here illegally and raping our country.
Oh, absolutely. I didn't mention that but really should have: it's a very important issue, and Trump has been dealing with it the right way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Israel
260 posts, read 52,792 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't see Trump as a New York Republican. He is just a more blunt version of the Republicans I've dealt with in the South.
I see what you mean, yes. But still, there is a big difference IMO: religion. The typical Republican in the deep South tends to be very religious, church every Sunday, etc. Trump isn't. At all. His religion, or should I say his religions, are business and real estate. That, in itself, is very New Yorkish if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2019, 04:45 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
47,974 posts, read 45,435,742 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
I see what you mean, yes. But still, there is a big difference IMO: religion. The typical Republican in the deep South tends to be very religious, church every Sunday, etc. Trump isn't. At all. His religion, or should I say his religions, are business and real estate. That, in itself, is very New Yorkish if you ask me.
That would be a factor. That is the #1 difference in my opinion. Outside of that, New York Republicans and Georgia Republicans aren't that much different.

Interestingly, the Republicans, as individuals, that I've had the most respect for have been Midwestern Republicans (Bob Dole, John Kasich).

I would have given a Republican a chance this past election had it been the right kind of Republican. Trump wasn't the kind of Republican I needed or felt would have been helpful to me. I knew about him before he started running for office. His Central Park 5 comments made me lose respect for him a long time ago (I only heard about it back in 2010). His comments claiming that former President Obama wasn't a citizen made me lose even more respect for him. I had issues with him before he ran for President.

What got to me is this. How he could be so loved in spite of the stupid things he has said and done. Now I'm not surprised anymore (and to an extent mentally and emotionally broken by it). I remember talking to one woman. She isn't too happy about Trump, but voted for him anyway. She basically "sucked it up" and voted for him because she was scared of Hilary Clinton. I hated both Trump and Clinton, so I went for a 3rd party. I was naive to think that more people would be on board with it. I figured "maybe this will be the election that a 3rd party candidate will get alot of votes". It didn't happen. Over the past 2 years, I've seen more people become more bold with anger and bigoted comments. There are people I don't speak to anymore. Part of me thinks this has brought out the worst in many. But when I think about it, the worst in everyone has been out there for years upon years. Social media has just revealed what I didn't know before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Another thing is he is addressing the illegal immigration problem but the poster you are replying to sees nothing positive about that? In fact most liberals see that as a negative they want to see our country filled up with more minorities even if that means coming here illegally and raping our country.
A bit more complicated than how you put things, but one thing I can tell you for certain...

Most who don't think like you don't consider more or less minorities a good or bad thing. Where, how or why do minorities become other than people just like those who make up majorities? That's just for starters before we get into some pretty "disturbing" notions that equate minorities as "illegal and raping our country."

This is truly some pretty "ugly American" stuff if you ask me...

One guess. Trump supporter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM
 
5,145 posts, read 1,414,156 times
Reputation: 3171
It indeed is true that most conservatives understand liberals and the way they think because all of us were once young and many of us were liberal during our youth and therefore understand how both liberals and conservatives think.

Those of us who become conservative in age, do so because we have something to conserve - our jobs, the wealth we've managed to accumulate, our families, etc. We've also grown wise to the ways of the world and human nature, realizing that we are responsible for ourselves and our own actions have consequences.

By comparison, liberals who are young are understandable. However, as humans grow older and wiser, under normal human development, they are supposed to shed their childish ways. Liberals who are older and still liberal have simply never outgrown the adolescent stage of human development and as a result, cannot possibly understand the mindset of a conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 10:15 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A lot of conservatives used to be liberal, that seems to be the progression for the majority. I know people can also go the other direction but honestly I've never met anyone who did.
My experience has been the opposite, once we get beyond our twenties...

Why We Believe What We Do...

Might further argue the data tends to support my "Cement Theory" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2019, 10:21 AM
 
12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I disagree with this for many reasons. Trump might have accomplished alot of things. However, my reasons for not liking him have alot to with him not being helpful for me. I am anti-Clinton. I don't like her either. She's a snake in my book. That's why I voted for a 3rd party in 2016. My first time ever doing that. I could not stand either of them.
I appreciate your comments, really do, but every time I read that someone wastes their vote like this, by voting for other than someone who actually has a chance to win, typically -- inadvertently -- helps the party and candidate they least support politically speaking. As such, all the reasons for doing so don't resonate so well with me and many others who don't believe anyone should abdicate their "oar in the water" where it will serve one best.

All that is assuming our vote matters of course. Sometimes one really has to wonder about that too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top