U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:32 PM

12,636 posts, read 3,210,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Immigration isn't only made up of minorities. I'm not Latina or Black, and yet I would have loved to move to the USA and become a permanent resident. But I was NOT ready to do it illegally, so life took me elsewhere. Rewarding those who disrespect the law (and therefore the country) is wrong. It also penalizes those who did respect the law and didn't force their way in illegally. Kudos to President Trump for his tough stance on illegals.
The comment I was referring to specified minorities, and the issue of how we treat people on American soil versus how we keep people from getting on American soil are TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Yes, but our friend here equally disliked both Trump and Clinton. So in this case, that wasn't an option.
Anyone who claims "equal" dislike in these regards hasn't done their homework or know much about politics. I was not crazy about either too, but really?

Unintended consequences of the "protest vote."

Old 07-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
To say that conservatives understand liberals better than liberals understand conservatives, that is incredibly stupid. I disagree with it. I look at the discourse from both liberals and conservatives, neither side really understands one another very well. Both sides understand a few things about each other. However, to say that a conservative understands a liberal better than a liberal understands a conservative is crap.
Yes, and anyone who doesn't understand what you are explaining is stupid too, but not like we don't have a whole lot of stupid to contend with in America! Right? Some people think this sort of observation or realization is snobby and/or hubris, but really it is not. I certainly wish I knew more about what I need to know more about, and I'm not afraid to admit it, but then I see all the data that shows how much Americans know even less than I do, about most things, and this truth is nothing but a sad recognition on my part that we really don't have much chance to do much better with our political system in this country. Just too many factors working against us, most certainly including ignorance, while the rich make off with the spoils...

Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM

36 posts, read 7,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump....

What's to figure out? What is known is that Trump is an unindicted co-conspirator in a felony. What is not yet known is that Trump is likely a lot worse than that! And this is the man you are supporting? That is what is difficult to fathom.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:14 PM

27,495 posts, read 17,618,687 times
Quote:
Conservatives understand libs and the way they think.....reverse is not true
Nope. I'm conservative on most things and can't begin to understand the way liberals think.

The hatred for this nation.

The bigotry and racism they embrace.

Their demand to put men in girls locker rooms and showers.

The insistence on sacrificing American lives in foreign wars.

Placing the happiness of illegal aliens above the safety and prosperity of American citizens.

The efforts to destroy jobs in this country.

The dependence and demand on the government to provide their wants and needs, instead of doing something for themselves.

Their support for violent Muslims and insistence on importing an ideology based on conquest, subjugation and intolerance of non-Muslims-and the murder of the LGBT community, to this country.

Their support for Iran-the world's largest sponsor of state terrorism. A nation whose leadership has vowed the destruction of the US and the genocide of Israeli people.

Their demands to punish successful, hard working people.

Their support for criminal aliens at the expense of Americans-particularly minorities. Specifically true in competition for low-skill jobs and depression of wages.

Their utter childishness, rage, violence and constant temper tantrums over Hillary losing an election.

Just for a start. So no-this conservative does not claim to "understand" liberals. As a rational person, I the only way I can "understand" them is to conclude that they are insane. Or that they are determined to see America and American citizens suffer-which is pretty much the same thing.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:23 PM

3,056 posts, read 948,395 times
Ive noticed something speaking with many younger people;

The latest generation is being programmed by much of society to accept only far left political ideologies as "righteous". This allows any hatred for opposing views to be "righteous", as well.
This, in turn, silences those that prefer to choose ideologies for themselves or haplessly decide that they should have the freedom to believe as they wish.

It's similar to many religious and political movements of the past.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:57 AM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Nope. I'm conservative on most things and can't begin to understand the way liberals think.

Their demand to put men in girls locker rooms and showers.

The insistence on sacrificing American lives in foreign wars.

Placing the happiness of illegal aliens above the safety and prosperity of American citizens.

The efforts to destroy jobs in this country.

The dependence and demand on the government to provide their wants and needs, instead of doing something for themselves.

Their support for violent Muslims and insistence on importing an ideology based on conquest, subjugation and intolerance of non-Muslims-and the murder of the LGBT community, to this country.

Their support for Iran-the world's largest sponsor of state terrorism. A nation whose leadership has vowed the destruction of the US and the genocide of Israeli people.

Their demands to punish successful, hard working people.

Their support for criminal aliens at the expense of Americans-particularly minorities. Specifically true in competition for low-skill jobs and depression of wages.

Their utter childishness, rage, violence and constant temper tantrums over Hillary losing an election.

Just for a start. So no-this conservative does not claim to "understand" liberals. As a rational person, I the only way I can "understand" them is to conclude that they are insane. Or that they are determined to see America and American citizens suffer-which is pretty much the same thing.
OP is right. I am a liberal (sort of) and cannot understand the mind of a conservative like Toyman.

Conservatives hate democracy and its institutions that have stood for 250 years. They seem to much prefer the autocratic tendencies of Trump.

Conservative hate the rule of law especially by those in power; they seem to think it is OK that our leaders flagrantly violate the law with impunity.

Conservatives are bonkers when it comes to foreigners, particularly those with different skin color or different religions. There is a word for that (actually two): xenophobic and racist.

Conservatives are willing to turn a blind eye to the worst despots and autocrats in the world: Putin, MSB, Duarte, and now Kim. These are murderers of journalists and others that get in their way.

Conservatives are stuck in the past and want America to be what it was in an era that has long since seen it heyday. Rather than pushing America to be the leader in growing fields like AI, clean energy, and robotics they want us to be the king of coal.

Conservatives hate an educated populace. China is kicking our butts in educating their people and because of that are kicking our butts in high tech. Rather than improve our schools they clamor to close the Department of Education.

Conservatives are fine with letting China displace the US as the technology powerhouse of the world.

Conservatives hate clean air and clean water. They would much rather poison their kids, all because it is better for business.

Conservatives hate the idea of caring for your fellow man who is sick and cannot afford a doctor.

Those conservatives who claim to be Christians are hypocrites with their disregard for the teachings of Jesus.

Conservatives hate science despite the many advances we have gotten from science. If the science does not suit their agenda, they find totally BS reasons to say it is a Chinese hoax.

Conservatives believe that 3rd world countries that have minimal public services is the model for what America should be.

Conservatives are just plain hateful. Just read the posts here with the vile things said about good people who happen to democrats.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Just how bad can it get?

I suspect you are serious and even if you are just trying to be ridiculous, I know there are people who actually believe this sort of thing, but to honestly suggest liberals have "hatred for this nation" is all the proof anyone need that your perspective is FUBAR. Of course you can't understand ridiculous! The more ridiculous the harder it is for ANYONE to understand, just like I can't understand your comment.

"The bigotry and racism they embrace."

Utterly ridiculous!

Old 07-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Ive noticed something speaking with many younger people;

The latest generation is being programmed by much of society to accept only far left political ideologies as "righteous". This allows any hatred for opposing views to be "righteous", as well.
This, in turn, silences those that prefer to choose ideologies for themselves or haplessly decide that they should have the freedom to believe as they wish.

It's similar to many religious and political movements of the past.
What I have noticed is a sense of losing patience...

There is so much in the way of problems and backward thinking that the Baby Boomers, for example, simply "kicked down the road," the younger generation is starting to think that the "centrist" approach simply retards the progress that's long overdue.

Beyond the generalities, however, we'd have to look at these chosen "ideologies" and decide which are appropriate, which are not and why. Most of the younger generation promoting progress like most next generations do, albeit very incrementally as a rule, are usually on the side of right all considered...

Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
OP is right. I am a liberal (sort of) and cannot understand the mind of a conservative like Toyman.

Conservatives hate democracy and its institutions that have stood for 250 years. They seem to much prefer the autocratic tendencies of Trump.

Conservative hate the rule of law especially by those in power; they seem to think it is OK that our leaders flagrantly violate the law with impunity.

Conservatives are bonkers when it comes to foreigners, particularly those with different skin color or different religions. There is a word for that (actually two): xenophobic and racist.

Conservatives are willing to turn a blind eye to the worst despots and autocrats in the world: Putin, MSB, Duarte, and now Kim. These are murderers of journalists and others that get in their way.

Conservatives are stuck in the past and want America to be what it was in an era that has long since seen it heyday. Rather than pushing America to be the leader in growing fields like AI, clean energy, and robotics they want us to be the king of coal.

Conservatives hate an educated populace. China is kicking our butts in educating their people and because of that are kicking our butts in high tech. Rather than improve our schools they clamor to close the Department of Education.

Conservatives are fine with letting China displace the US as the technology powerhouse of the world.

Conservatives hate clean air and clean water. They would much rather poison their kids, all because it is better for business.

Conservatives hate the idea of caring for your fellow man who is sick and cannot afford a doctor.

Those conservatives who claim to be Christians are hypocrites with their disregard for the teachings of Jesus.

Conservatives hate science despite the many advances we have gotten from science. If the science does not suit their agenda, they find totally BS reasons to say it is a Chinese hoax.

Conservatives believe that 3rd world countries that have minimal public services is the model for what America should be.

Conservatives are just plain hateful. Just read the posts here with the vile things said about good people who happen to democrats.
Nice "turn of the table" that helps prove how ridiculous begets ridiculous, but maybe some level of better understanding can be had if by process of elimination the more ridiculous notions are put aside.

Right. Back to the "demonizing" of opinion different from ours. Much easier and far more fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies