U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 AM

3,934 posts, read 3,257,479 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty liberal and I've known plenty of people who voted for Trump. Most of those have been acquaintances, friends, ex co workers, and some whom I see occasionally in social settings. For the most part they seemed to be folks who shun education, worked hard, had difficult lives, raised children, and harbor strong feelings of social alienation. Not neo Nazis, not criminals, not bad people, but definitely ill informed.

On the liberal side I have friends, family, neighbors, and some ex co workers, and some of those people are still smarting over Hilary's loss and obsessing about Trump. Others are more centered and feel that change has to come soon if we are to salvage our democracy. The biggest difference between the two groups seems to revolve around educational levels, blue and white collar work, economic understanding, and income levels.

All in all, I see our frictional politics as something growing, not from one group against another, but moreover, many groups and ideologies clashing over what they perceive as their own self interest. In the Trump camp, there doesn't seem to be a lockstep mentality on every issue, but there definitely is an underlying current of feeling disenfranchised. The liberals seem to be in the better earning bracket and display little empathy for those in the blue collar world, not to mention their growing disenchantment with those on the bottom. Both groups are hating the homeless hordes, but for different reasons, and at different decibel levels.

The one outstanding aspect of US politics seems to be the anger displayed by both ends of the spectrum. Trump haters, Hilary haters, black haters, white haters, women haters, and men haters-- and some who have just gone bonkers with hate and shot up a classroom, shopping mall, or concert venue. We are now a nation divided, and that division is being encouraged by the politicos of every stripe, both parties warring over their need to be in power, and all the while our citizen power is being used up by arguing over our differences. Ahh, the politicians have never been happier....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM

21,153 posts, read 11,754,604 times
The premise of this thread is a joke. The Right THINKS they understand what the Left things, but they always, always get it completely wrong. Thread after thread here on CD is ample proof of that. But it's typical for a Trump supporter to think that what they believe is actual reality, when nothing could be further from the objective truth. That's perhaps Trump's worst impact on this country, that he has amplified the concept that truth does not exist if you don't like it. Sadly, large numbers of people actually believe that idiocy.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM

6,974 posts, read 3,990,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump and are becoming increasingly deranged they prove the premise. The Trump base runs in the background untouched by the lamestream media and the imitation wonks in print media as well. The major failure of conservatism so far is our failure to put arch constitutionalists/patriots in the educational pipeline in the 60's when leftist nut cases were everywhere. They have now harvested a crop of witless snowflakes who are twisted in every way. Eco freaks and tree huggers who get a sense of worth from recycling, rather than understanding the brilliance of our founding fathers and the constitution. As the USA was setup to prosper with self sustaining capitalist citizens who don't need to rely on government, it's probably not going to end well.
It will end just fine.
There are a lot of great young people out there, you are just not giving them credit.
The whole gist of this thread is mixed up. Conservatives? I can tell you one thing for sure Donald Trump is NOT a conservative. No way. A Conservative believes in small Government, one which is not intrusive into people's lives. They are fiscally conservative and want a balanced budget.
They believe in Capitalism, Free Speech, and free trade....exactly the opposite of what Trump has done. President Bone Spurs is NOT
a Conservative. Anything, but!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Wrong. I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and my father is still a pastor. I grew up believing that America was a once a Christian nation and that we were greatest in the 1950s. Everything was perfect, just like an episode of "Leave it to Beaver." Then the hippie movement happened in the 1960s which destroyed America. I fully understand how Trump supporters think. They are willing and ready to subvert democracy if that's what it takes to get their "Christian nation." That's why Trump and the zeal of his supporters is so frightening to me.
Yes, that part the Religious Right, I think is one of the most terrifying groups in America today.
They are our American Taliban. Our Forefathers went to a lot of trouble making sure Government and Religion
never merged into one, creating a Theocracy....anytime that has ever happened, it's not been good.Not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Scary, yes. I think Leave it to Beaver years were like that because people and society just didn't air all of their dirty laundry of which there was plenty. All of the crap stayed "hidden" and many liked that. Wow, you must have stories to tell.

I was alive back then, and things in some ways were really nice, but somethings were terrible and we should never
go back to that again. You can never go back. Never.
Just a lot of old people trying to get back to the good old days, and disliking the young and the way the world has evolved.
The way people of color, women and gay people were treated was awful. A nightmare.
NO US citizen should ever be treated that way. Ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2b3mkipd3U

Old 06-11-2019, 11:45 AM

12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump and are becoming increasingly deranged they prove the premise. The Trump base runs in the background untouched by the lamestream media and the imitation wonks in print media as well. The major failure of conservatism so far is our failure to put arch constitutionalists/patriots in the educational pipeline in the 60's when leftist nut cases were everywhere. They have now harvested a crop of witless snowflakes who are twisted in every way. Eco freaks and tree huggers who get a sense of worth from recycling, rather than understanding the brilliance of our founding fathers and the constitution. As the USA was setup to prosper with self sustaining capitalist citizens who don't need to rely on government, it's probably not going to end well.
Opinion expressed with this sort of rhetoric is hardly worth "figuring out." Not that there is much to figure out here, but if the idea is to understand opinion different from our own, I suspect our founding fathers would have a bit different way of promoting intelligent reason. Not like they didn't disagree with one another too BTW, but they went about addressing their disagreements like adults, not immature children.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:47 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,954,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your post should win a prize for posting one of the most falsehoods in here.
Just because someone thinks they are a true American does not make them so.

I stand by my post. The people it applies to most, are the ones who are so sure of themselves, that they will never realize it is THEY who are the most unAmerican of all of us.

If you read the second paragraph of my post, those are things that actually happened. Not falsehoods. That alone qualifies my comment as truth.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:49 AM

18,910 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Surely, you can’t be serious......
I smell a Leslie Nielsen joke here...

Old 06-11-2019, 11:51 AM

22,246 posts, read 9,457,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDiFiore View Post
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.”

-- Socrates
Don't go bringing humility into this discussion. We're talking about Trump and the base.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 AM

22,699 posts, read 16,804,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
What's wrong about what I posted? Trump's slogan is "Make America Great Again." When was it great?

And why shouldn't I know? I spent approximately 30 years in Christian fundamentalism, the backbone of Trumpism. I voted Republican in every national election from 2004 until 2016 because I felt that's what God required and that I would go to hell for supporting a pro-gay or pro-abortion candidate if I voted for the Democrats.
The bolded is what is wrong with what you said. You have this belief that it's only "Christian fundamentalists" who support Trump. I'm sorry if your upbringing was filled with phony Christians, but that doesn't make you an expert on Trump supporters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Nah... that's really not true. There are plenty of liberal, progressive people in this country who have spent a LOT of time around conservatives.

We know exactly how they think.

There are, however, plenty of cons who know how liberals think because those cons used to be more open minded before they got so set in their ways.

Also... there are plenty who THINK they know what the "libs" are like because they watch it on Fox News or the like.

Which isn't really the truth.
There are plenty of conservatives who were liberals when they were young - in my case, in my teens - but faced reality and realized that the lunatic dream from the fools on the left is an exercise in stupidity. I was not only "one of them" when I was a kid, because I didn't know jack spit about politics NOR reality, I've spent far too much time around them when I lived in very liberal cities. I spent 13 years in Seattle - I know exactly how destructively the left thinks.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:02 PM

12,607 posts, read 3,205,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
The whole gist of this thread is mixed up. Conservatives? I can tell you one thing for sure Donald Trump is NOT a conservative. No way. A Conservative believes in small Government, one which is not intrusive into people's lives.
They believe in Capitalism, and free trade....exactly the opposite of what Trump has done. President Bone Spurs is NOT
a Conservative. Anything, but!
I think I better understand what you are trying to suggest here, but all considered it's very hard to explain Trump as POTUS other than because of the conservative element in America today. Embarrassing on many levels, even for some who consider themselves conservative, but all told, conservatives put Trump in office and Trump may stay in office because of the same conservatives.

What this says about what a conservative stands for today vs yesterday, perhaps there is some difference, but at the core, there is still the same reverence for Religious Right ways of thinking, maintaining the status quo AKA MAGA (whatever that means), racism, xenophobia and sexism among still too many. Not all but still too many. Trump leading the way with his birther nonsense.

What conservatives once upon believed was more about what you note but those beliefs simply don't compare to what all too many conservatives care about even more. This is why someone like Trump commands the base support he does, regardless all the hypocrisy, flip-flopping changes in policy, ludicrous and false promises, tweet storms rather than press conferences and all the rest.

Just like what Trump explained women will let you do to them if you're famous, we're seeing what Trump supporters will also allow thanks to very similar misguided admiration...

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-11-2019 at 12:16 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM

6,974 posts, read 3,990,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

There are plenty of conservatives who were liberals when they were young - in my case, in my teens - but faced reality and realized that the lunatic dream from the fools on the left is an exercise in stupidity. I was not only "one of them" when I was a kid, because I didn't know jack spit about politics NOR reality, I've spent far too much time around them when I lived in very liberal cities. I spent 13 years in Seattle - I know exactly how destructively the left thinks.

I was one of the Liberals (actually I am probably more of a Moderate, but in comparison to people on this board I am a Liberal now, I suppose)who was a Conservative when I was very young. I registered as a Republican when I was 18 and able to vote in 1976 and remained one until 2016. And I had to leave because of Trump. The man excels in to tearing our country apart and ripping it to shreds. He is never more happy than when he divides us. How sad is that?)United we Stand,Divided we Fall. He seems to lack decency, morals or ethics in any form....how weird that the Religious right loves him so. He acts in crude, crass manner way below the dignity of his office.

Anyways, through the years I saw things, experienced things, really terrible things, it helped me to develop compassion and empathy toward others. I learned to hold true to the Freedom so hard won by Fathers and Grandfathers past.
And I became pretty good at spotting Con men. So I know what Trump is. And I see how he is using people and manipulating people. I hate how he is dividing us and attacking our Democracy.

If you want to talk about real Conservatives, then you need to look at people like Ronald Reagan and Eisenhower.

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-11-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies