Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The bolded is what is wrong with what you said. You have this belief that it's only "Christian fundamentalists" who support Trump. I'm sorry if your upbringing was filled with phony Christians, but that doesn't make you an expert on Trump supporters.

There are plenty of conservatives who were liberals when they were young - in my case, in my teens - but faced reality and realized that the lunatic dream from the fools on the left is an exercise in stupidity. I was not only "one of them" when I was a kid, because I didn't know jack spit about politics NOR reality, I've spent far too much time around them when I lived in very liberal cities. I spent 13 years in Seattle - I know exactly how destructively the left thinks.
No doubt your further definition about Trump supporters makes sense, but also of course we all know where the Evangelists tend to lean in a big way, the Religious Right too, and it ain't toward the left...

Poll: white evangelical support for Trump is at an all-time high

Republican partisanship and a utilitarian evangelical strategy might help explain why.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...-all-time-high

As for changing your views, you either "cemented" them in your twenties or you are very much the exception to the rule (none of which has anything to do with facing reality or stupidity objectively speaking). When did the ridiculous rhetoric start I wonder?

Why We Believe What We Do...

If only we Americans could reconcile our misunderstandings and disagreements by way of reason and logic rather than all else that "cements" our differing views about right vs wrong, better vs worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
Yet another mistaken conservative poster telling liberals what (s)he thinks liberals think. Doesn't it get old telling us that you know what or how we think? I think liberals must understand conservative minds better just from reading all these I-know-what-you-are-thinking posts that are nonsensical.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I think I better understand what you are trying to suggest here, but all considered it's very hard to explain Trump as POTUS other than because of the conservative element in America today. Embarrassing on many levels, even for some who consider themselves conservative, but all told, conservatives put Trump in office and Trump may stay in office because of the same conservatives.

What this says about what a conservative stands for today vs yesterday, perhaps there is some difference, but at the core, there is still the same reverence for Religious Right ways of thinking, maintaining the status quo AKA MAGA (whatever that means), racism, xenophobia and sexism among still too many. Not all but still too many. Trump leading the way with his birther nonsense.

What conservatives once upon believed in that once upon was more about what you note simply doesn't compare to what all too many conservatives care about even more. This is why someone like Trump commands the base support he does, regardless all the hypocrisy, flip-flopping changes in policy, ludicrous and false promises, tweet storms rather than press conferences and all the rest.

Just like what Trump explained women will let you do to them if you're famous, we're seeing what Trump supporters will also allow thanks to very similar misguided admiration...

You are right.
I guess some people will throw all their ideology and beliefs aside, to get what they want.

I think their main goals are to do away with Row Vs Wade, build the wall, Stopping Muslim Immigrants and bringing back coal.....not caring really what else they have to sacrifice in the terms of integrity and decency to get there. Or in terms of Democracy or what the majority of people really want.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt your further definition about Trump supporters makes sense, but also of course we all know where the Evangelists tend to lean in a big way, the Religious Right too, and it ain't toward the left...

Poll: white evangelical support for Trump is at an all-time high

Republican partisanship and a utilitarian evangelical strategy might help explain why.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...-all-time-high

As for changing your views, you either "cemented" them in your twenties or you are very much the exception to the rule (none of which has anything to do with facing reality or stupidity objectively speaking). When did the ridiculous rhetoric start I wonder?

Why We Believe What We Do...

If only we Americans could reconcile our misunderstandings and disagreements by way of reason and logic rather than all else that "cements" our differing views about right vs wrong, better vs worse...
Which is kind of funny how the evangelicals support Trump who has divorced 3x and had extra-marital affairs.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:34 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post

It will end just fine.

President Bone Spurs is NOT a Conservative. Anything, but!

Our Forefathers went to a lot of trouble making sure Government and Religion never merged into one, creating a Theocracy....anytime that has ever happened, it's not been good.Not at all.

The way people of color, women and gay people were treated was awful. A nightmare.
NO US citizen should ever be treated that way. Ever.
Just picked a few of your statements to comment about.

Will it end just fine? Maybe, and I share some of your optimism, but history tells us that many times it does NOT end up just fine. To think that way leads to complacency. We must always be on guard for the emergence of fascism and authoritarianism.

Trump is not a conservative by any measurement whatsoever. That's just a fantasy thrown out there by Republicans after Trump hijacked their party to win the election.

I'm an old creaker, and you are right, bigotry in those days was far more overt. With that being said, there was much greater reluctance to resort to extremist positions on either the Right or the Left, because the memory of WWII and the Depression was still strong. Those folks understood clearly that to win a world war or to overcome a Depression, we had to remain united at some level. They did not have the luxury of indulging in selfish partisan politics like we do today.

The Religious Right are a threat for sure, but in this area I agree with you that our youth will prevent us from straying too far down that path.

Last edited by GearHeadDave; 06-11-2019 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Which is kind of funny how the evangelicals support Trump who has divorced 3x and had extra-marital affairs.
Not really that funny when considering how people will quickly dismiss what they believe on the one hand for what they believe more strongly on the other. Some call it hypocrisy, but really it's just human nature. Frankly we all deal with this dilemma given no candidate or leader that is without flaws, but also no doubt there are some more flawed than others...

Also needless to say, people of faith will go on about family values, the sanctity of marriage and all the rest, but even some who preach the loudest don't exactly practice what they preach. Many don't, and when push comes to shove, promoting some of the more conservative agendas, like the pro-life agenda, marriage only for heterosexuals and whatever else MAGA means in their minds, pushing those agendas matters more than whether Trump is morally embarrassing.

"Ends justify the means" sort of thing. Simple as that...

Old 06-11-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Just picked a few of your statements to comment about.

Will it end just fine? Maybe, and I share some of your optimism, but history tells us that many times it does NOT end up just fine. To think that way leads to complacency. We must always be on guard for the emergence of fascism and authoritarianism.

Trump is not a conservative by any measurement whatsoever. That's just a fantasy thrown out there by Republicans after Trump hijacked their party to win the election.

I'm an old creaker, and you are right, bigotry in those days was far more overt. With that being said, there was much greater reluctance to resort to extremist positions on either the Right or the Left, because the memory of WWII and the Depression was still strong. Those folks understood clearly that to win a world war or to overcome a Depression, we had to remain united at some level. They did not have the luxury of indulging in selfish partisan politics like we do today.

The Religious Right are a threat for sure, but in this area I agree with you that our youth will prevent us from straying too far down that path.
I've really got to sign off now and do something productive with the rest of my day, but you leave me wondering the answer to this question...

If "Trump is not a conservative," and if Trump is even less a liberal, then what is he?

I suppose we're supposed to answer the question without recognizing which party not only chose Trump as their presidential nominee but got him elected, and I suppose we're supposed to ignore which party is falling in line with Trump if not supporting him still today, along with all the rest conservatives claim their reasons to support Trump..., not conservative?

What then?

I suppose we're also supposed to ignore the incredibly high approval ratings for Trump among Republicans too. They too not conservative?

Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
On C-D, I have never read a single post from a con or a Trumpist that gave any evidence that there was actual understanding of liberals. Far from it. It has always seemed that understanding liberals is not a goal; the fun part is just denegrating, labeling, and demonizing liberals. Its like a schoolyard bully; half the fun is calling out belittling names and getting away with it. It makes them feel more powerful.
Is this a serious post? Which tribe uses the accusation of "racism" with wild abandon?

Check it out:

Everything Is Racism | Hire a civil rights lawyer. You're a victim of racism.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:11 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post
Well.. that might have something to do with the months after Obama won, most conservatives on the 10+ or so forums I visit, where calling him a N.lack man... several type of primate names.. and not to mention calling his wife a primate name for years...

Then it slowly died down, when they realized being called racists for 8 years where doing them any good.
Then they started to complain about his tan suit or mustard on a hot dog... Oh, and that he secretly hates white people, is a closet Gay Muslim and wannabe Communist Dictator.

I never noticed anybody calling his children names though.. so there must be some decency in those people.

Sure.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Sure.
There are several posters here, who I could even name specifically if I didn't fear a TOS violation, who called Michelle Obama "Mooch"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies