Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM

926 posts, read 417,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, what I know about alot of Trump supporters comes from where I live. And it would likely be more so for Alabama, South Carolina, Louisiana, and Mississippi. It might be similar for conservatives living in places like Oklahoma and Kansas, but not to the same extent as in the Deep South.

I think Kansas has a different kind of conservatism than what's found in the Deep South. In my opinion, Kansas politics is more a product of farming country and ranching country. And it has the aerospace industry, as well as the Kansas suburbs of the Greater Kansas City MO-KS area. Farming in KS is different from what Georgia always had. Kansas represents that pioneer turned farmer spirit. Georgia has a long plantation history.
So, Kansas is more similar to Texas, no?
Never been to either states, so I'm just guessing here.

The Deep South is more religious, and because of that (of thanks to that, depending on your perspective), it is significantly more socially conservative that other parts of the US. Conservatives in the Northeast are different.

I think that states like Missouri and Kentucky are pretty socially conservative, too. But probably not to the extent of AL or MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 04:08 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
So, Kansas is more similar to Texas, no?
Never been to either states, so I'm just guessing here.

The Deep South is more religious, and because of that (of thanks to that, depending on your perspective), it is significantly more socially conservative that other parts of the US. Conservatives in the Northeast are different.

I think that states like Missouri and Kentucky are pretty socially conservative, too. But probably not to the extent of AL or MS.
I would say Kansas is more similar to Nebraska, with a bit of Oklahoma. Texas is its own thing. Kansas is religious, but not the way places in the Deep South are. While Kansas has a Protestant majority, Catholics are 18% of Kansas' population. Kansas does have Baptists, but not Southern Baptists. I know about Kansas because I've met people from Kansas, and as someone who's done alot of research and work in Geography, these are things I tend to learn.

I've been to Texas. Texas is its ownt thing. It has the large Southern Baptist influence from southerners who moved to Texas. On the other hand, it has the big cowboy culture, especially in ranching areas. In Texas, cowboys are a thing. Texas also has a large Catholic population. This is the product of a large Hispanic population, and immigrants from Poland (Texas has one of the largest Polish-American populations in the USA), Germany, Czech Republic, and Ireland. This influence is especially felt in Central Texas. I would also say the oil industry plays a big part in Texas conservatism. It doesn't play a role for everyone though. Cities like Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Austin are not particularly conservative. Austin most certainly is not. Big college town and it's the capital of Texas.

Some of the most religious states outside of the Deep South are South Dakota, New Jersey, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Minnesota. Kansas, the Dakotas, and Nebraska are not what we would call liberal. Minnesota and New Jersey are liberal states. There are other factors to consider.

New Jersey has a larger Catholic population than Protestant population. New Jersey has one of the largest Jewish populations in the USA. The state has a small Orthodox Christian population, but larger than other states. New Jersey being a northeastern state will function much more differently from a southern state for other reasons. New Jersey is a major industrial state. It sits in the shadows of New York City and Philadelphia. It's a centerpiece for the Boswash corridor. It's also a very diverse state.

Minnesota is a religious state. Lutheranism and Catholicism are big in Minnesota. Minnesota has been influenced by alot of labor politics. While alot of Scandinavian immigrants went to the Dakotas, Minnesota has been shaped by the Minneapolis-St. Paul region and the Iron Range (Duluth). Labor politics have been a big thing as opposed to a large farming economy in the Dakotas. Minnesota is big on agriculture, but it also has the industrial influence of St. Paul and Minneapolis. Duluth as well.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:

New Jersey has a larger Catholic population than Protestant population. New Jersey has one of the largest Jewish populations in the USA. The state has a small Orthodox Christian population, but larger than other states. New Jersey being a northeastern state will function much more differently from a southern state for other reasons. New Jersey is a major industrial state. It sits in the shadows of New York City and Philadelphia. It's a centerpiece for the Boswash corridor. It's also a very diverse state.
You're right that NJ sits in the shadows of NYC and Philadelphia. Back in 2005-2007 I was living in NYC, and one thing I didn't like there was how some New Yorkers looked down on NJ. I didn't understand why, somehow, New Jersey was so "uncool".

Old 06-15-2019, 05:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
ok. So, besides intelligence and critical thinking, what else do liberals have a monopoly on: kindness? open-mindedness? tolerance?
They have a monopoly on BELIEVING they have a monopoly on all those things.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
You're right that NJ sits in the shadows of NYC and Philadelphia. Back in 2005-2007 I was living in NYC, and one thing I didn't like there was how some New Yorkers looked down on NJ. I didn't understand why, somehow, New Jersey was so "uncool".
Some of those persons would look down on Connecticut too. NYC is considered the center of the universe by many.

As for New Jersey, while it has many religious people, it has far different influence than Georgia or anything in the Deep South.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Some of those persons would look down on Connecticut too. NYC is considered the center of the universe by many.
Possibly, but I've never heard it. Only against NJ. I was living, working and socializing on the Upper West Side (right across the river from New Jersey), so that might explain it. I'm not sure.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:32 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
As the libs try to figure out Trump and are becoming increasingly deranged they prove the premise. The Trump base runs in the background untouched by the lamestream media and the imitation wonks in print media as well. The major failure of conservatism so far is our failure to put arch constitutionalists/patriots in the educational pipeline in the 60's when leftist nut cases were everywhere. They have now harvested a crop of witless snowflakes who are twisted in every way. Eco freaks and tree huggers who get a sense of worth from recycling, rather than understanding the brilliance of our founding fathers and the constitution. As the USA was setup to prosper with self sustaining capitalist citizens who don't need to rely on government, it's probably not going to end well.
LMAO. Man I must give you all credit, you all come up with some of the craziest posts on this board. It seems all conservatives know everything about Liberals and the Left. Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:41 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Trump is neither a Republican or a Conservative so I agree with the OP.
You will never understand Trump by studying other Republicans.

Trump is easy to figure out if you like Mob Movies, listen to Hip Hop, or follow dictators.
You got it there. Trump has my vote, because he's not the Nation destroying Obama/Hillary, or their Leftist predecessors, and by that fact a far more peaceful man.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Many liberals eventually become conservative. If a liberal did not become well off, then they become conservative.

Any liberal that calls for all the changes that they are pushing recently and then see first hand at the cost it takes to implement these policies they will revolt against it.

You want open borders? Sure, once these immigrants starts coming to your home town and need free food, rent, and healthcare. And your taxes go up. You'll think otherwise.

Want environmental regulations? Ok, Obama was about to increase gas and car sales tax by 25% if the mpg doesn't meet standards and penalize gas consumption. Liberals may say they are driving Teslas and could care less. But the cost of goods and services for people who deliver these things will pass down to consumers.

This is why liberals usually don't understand the cause and effects to their issues. Very few liberals understand it until they start paying for the stuff then they complain why taxes and costs goes up without justification.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Possibly, but I've never heard it. Only against NJ. I was living, working and socializing on the Upper West Side (right across the river from New Jersey), so that might explain it. I'm not sure.
You might have gotten a different perspective from someone living in Staten Island or Brooklyn.

Anyway, back to conservatism. One major difference between religious northern areas and the Deep South is labor politics. Unions have been a big thing in northern states. The Deep South isn't much for Unions. In the South, Unions have been thought of as "communist". Religion aside, there are other factors affecting the South's politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies