Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM

29,341 posts, read 9,526,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It's also important to understand the history of this country, and that some things just don't change. This country has always been divided. And as of 2019, I don't see that changing. In many cases, we don't need politicians to divide people. Alot of people simply don't trust each other.
I lean toward giving people the "benefit of the doubt" first, "innocent until proven guilty" sort of thing. At the same time I think it's prudent to maintain a watchful eye and skeptical view about what other people are doing, especially in government, with realtors and used car salesmen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
Well, all I can say is that my experience in America has been different. I've found Americans to be quite friendly and ready to help a stranger, if needed.
This too a matter of locality I think...

My wife and I moved some years ago from a very nice area to where we live now. A smaller coastal town where we chose to retire after we became "empty nesters," and we are forever noticing how people are even more friendly around here. Quick with a smile, often a pleasant wave passing by, courteous with bikers and pedestrians when driving, perhaps too accommodating when it comes to the homeless many might argue. New York not as friendly generally speaking I think. Been there and just love that city. Friendly people there too of course, but the vibe is decidedly New York and not always that friendly. "Hustle and bustle" doesn't foster friendliness as a rule I don't think.

Last edited by LearnMe; 06-19-2019 at 10:00 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'll share mine too, based on a place I sometimes go for Sun and recreation, a nice home on a river owned by a very good friend of mine who is also a Trump supporter. The whole complex that surrounds his vacation home is 99% owned by fellow Trump supporters. None at all embarrassed to let you know with their MAGA hats, Trump bumper-stickers (for their many golf carts). Full-sized poster of Trump in one sliding glass door pointed out to me as we sat on one porch there drinking a beer or two...

My good friend always likes to say, "I'm for Trump not because of what he says but what he does."

His father (retired and living in the same complex) is a Mormon evangelist (92 years old) who believes Trump is part of God's plan. Much he believes about the Book of Mormon and the Mormon religion he credits for what makes the United States a great country.

If there is an exception to anyone in this "Trump compound" who does not exclusively watch Fox News, I've yet to meet them. Above referenced father says he doesn't watch anything else because everything else is too liberal.

Most if not all these people seem more emotionally driven by their extreme negative notions about all things liberal sometimes seemingly more so than their admiration for Trump.

All are gun enthusiasts.

Few if any seem at all concerned about the environment as they drive their Razors and motorcycles all over the desert, also all types of water craft up and down the river sucking up gas like there is no tomorrow.

All are big about respecting the flag, saluting the flag, singing the National Anthem, expressing all manner of unconditional devotion and loyalty to America.

I've never seen a black person in this mobile home park. Only white people and some Hispanics. Conservative Hispanics (unless secretly not so). Mostly older white males and their families.

Almost all are similarly negative about government in general. All things guboment. They love that Trump is a business person instead, not beholden to anyone or any party for money, almost no matter what Trump says or does.

Trump "talks straight" far as they are concerned, and they can understand the talk; about fearing Hispanic "bad hombres," the huge wall that will protect us, keeping Muslim terrorists from coming here. No BS from Trump about racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and global warming that lots of these people are not sure even exists.

All that and anything else anyone care believe it means to "make America great again."

I could go on, but I doubt my list is news to anyone or that the rest describing a typical Trump supporter is any sort of unknown. We've all seen the demographics that are important too, well beyond our personal experiences, but I can add that all these Trump people have been plenty good people to be around from a social standpoint. Good people in general. Mostly successful business people too. Not sure if all the alcohol consumption has anything to do with the general good cheer, but no doubt avoiding discussion about politics and religion as a rule is also part of what keeps the peace and the times there more enjoyable for all concerned. Between themselves they're all comfortable knowing they are among their own. A liberal like me in their midst is a rare thing. Not something I go out of my way to advertise anyway. There is little point in doing so, no matter how much I might disagree with something someone says there.

We all know nobody changes their mind about anything no matter what facts, reason and logic is offered. Not once we get past our twenties anyway...
I grew up around people just like this. Though I don't recall the suspicion and hatred of Mexicans and Muslims. It was African-Americans and Nazis back then.

For the most part, they went to church on Sundays. Beat their kids and often their wives, and were hateful as hell upon occasion.

Woman should not have equal rights. How the hell could they serve in the military? Would never work.

The Vietnam war was a noble fight against Communism and the Chinese, domino theory and all. Draft dodgers were scum.

Nixon was hounded out of office by that "witch hunt."

"Yankee ingenuity" would solve the nuclear waste problem, turn it into something useful and that within 10 years, thanks to nuclear energy, electricity would be so cheap we wouldn't even bother with meters. Everyone would just have a flat charge.

They were wrong on nearly every count.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:09 PM

926 posts, read 412,529 times
Quote:
Of course...

Subsets of the total data base will very often differ from the whole, but I think more generally speaking the focus here is on Republicans vs Democrats in the aggregate across the country, liberals vs conservatives (per the title of the thread). Locally, on the other hand, another story. In New York, I'd be curious how true your assumption about NYC Republicans might be, because my assumption is that most of the 32% pro-lifers in the state (in this poll) are Republicans...

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...tion/by/state/
You're talking about NYS, I'm talking about NYC - two different crowds.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 PM

72,829 posts, read 62,174,096 times
Quote:
I lean toward giving people the "benefit of the doubt" first, "innocent until proven guilty" sort of thing. At the same time I think it's prudent to maintain a watchful eye and skeptical view about what other people are doing, especially in government, with realtors and used car salesmen...
That's kind of hard for me to do. I get why you do it. I'm simply stating that you have to be watchful.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,804,036 times
Quote:
That's kind of hard for me to do. I get why you do it. I'm simply stating that you have to be watchful.
Trust but verify.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Trust but verify.
John F. Kennedy.

Old 06-19-2019, 01:58 PM

Saying that "conservatives understand liberals, not the other way around" is teaching me something about some conservatives. There is a strong "us versus them" mentality. It's on both sides. However, this is my understanding regarding some conservatives, particularly the most ardent of Trump supporters. Many like him because they see him as cursing the left. They see him as making the left/liberals angry. It's a war, a culture war. I will expand on this in future posts.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Saying that "conservatives understand liberals, not the other way around" is teaching me something about some conservatives. There is a strong "us versus them" mentality. It's on both sides. However, this is my understanding regarding some conservatives, particularly the most ardent of Trump supporters. Many like him because they see him as cursing the left. They see him as making the left/liberals angry. It's a war, a culture war. I will expand on this in future posts.
Expand away but not as if we've not heard lots about this sad dynamic for a good while now, from lots of people...

"Trump provokes anxiety in both the right and the left perhaps equally, albeit in very different ways. For the right, he fuels their fears about minorities and dissimilar others, calling Hispanic immigrants “murderers and rapists,” and stating in blanket-fashion that “Islam hates us.” His demonization of the “liberal media” and the Obama administration has transformed many right-wingers into full-fledged conspiracy theorists.

For the left, President Trump is the fear. His narcissistic personality and unpredictable, unrestrained behavior makes him a dangerous commander-in-chief—one that is liable to get the U.S. into a game of nuclear chicken with countries led by similarly erratic leaders, like North Korea. Trump’s policies and willingness to please his most extreme supporters threatens the rights of gays, transgender folk, and women across the country. The only thing liberals might fear worse than Trump himself is the sentiment he brings out in his supporters, which has already proved deadly in Charlottesville, Virginia.

As a result of the amplified fear and anxiety on the right and the left, the nation is more polarized than ever, and tensions seem to be at an all-time high.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...es-how-we-heal

Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 2,885,484 times
Just sitting here in Trump land, beer in my hand and watching backyard t-ball go down. The world is crazy but not here...not here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies