Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM

2,923 posts, read 977,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
liberals tend to use "critical thinking" skills were one examines ALL points of view...conservatives tend to only support their point of view...by examining all points of view one sometimes becomes uncertain...as in wise men are full of doubt and fools so certain of themselves
insane take. elvis has left the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
Though the original post was, well, psychotic, it is correct about one thing: no, I definitely do not understand how conservatives think.

Money is more important than people?
You are proud to have a leader of the free world who groped women and mocked special needs?
You voted for someone who said a war hero is a loser and still maintains that hatred after his death?
You are proud of how the animals are dying, we are choking, and crops are becoming more scarce due to global warming?
You are proudly shunning the science of global warming though it may actually kill your own grand kids/ great grand kids?

No I do NOT understand the conservative thoughts nor dogma.

T.H.A.N.K. G.O.D. !!!!
There are people, both liberal and conservative who believe that money is more important than people. We live in a society where many people look out for #1. How that thought process manifests itself often varies.

And there are other things I would like to say. I'm learning that some people held their noses while voting for Trump. Yes, there are alot of people who are ardently pro-Trump. I live around such types. At the same time, I think some people voted for Trump because they disliked Hilary Clinton and while liking Gary Johnson, didn't feel he had a chance.

Now, there are things I will address. I understand some people who would proudly support someone who fits some of the things you describe. Alot of it is anger. This is a culture war. I was one of those persons who thought "there's no way Trump can win. He's proven how brutish and ugly of heart he can be". I never understood why some people would say "Trump's good for Black people" or "Trump is doing good for Blacks". I understand now. Even after living in conservative areas for a large part of my life, there were things I didn't understand, until the last 2 years. Why support someone who mocks a physically challenged person? Why support someone who has made some inflammatory remarks on Twitter regarding Blacks? Why support someone who mocks a veteran, even up to that veteran's death?

It's all about that culture war. There are many who like that Trump is this way. He isn't saying things that everyone is thinking. However, he is saying many things that many people want to hear, or at the very least, aren't offended by. Some might look at his behavior as "We're sick of political correctness and he's the antidote to the problem". There are individuals who want it to be okay to just say whatever is on their mind, without any kind of recourse. There are individuals who feel that they are under siege, threatened by the way things are.

In general, this is my theory about the most ardent of Trump supporters. He says what they want to hear. That is my understanding of them. No one tells me how to think. This is my thinking, my conclusion based on what I've grown up around, what I live around, and the experiences that I have had.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:22 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Wrong. I grew up in an Independent Fundamental Baptist church and my father is still a pastor. I grew up believing that America was a once a Christian nation and that we were greatest in the 1950s. Everything was perfect, just like an episode of "Leave it to Beaver." Then the hippie movement happened in the 1960s which destroyed America. I fully understand how Trump supporters think. They are willing and ready to subvert democracy if that's what it takes to get their "Christian nation." That's why Trump and the zeal of his supporters is so frightening to me.
Actually, no you don't understand. Your upbringing in an "Independent Fundamental Baptist church" appears to have given you a very skewed view of Trump supporters and conservatives in general. Trump supporters are not some monolithic bloc of fanatics only slightly more liberal than the loons at westboro baptist, dreaming of returning to the days of the sock hop and huge tail fins that you seem to believe.

White, working class people voted for Donald Trump at about 2:1 over Hillary, yet 42% of them
"seldom or never" attend church services.

I'm wondering why such a large number of people, the vast majority of whom only attend church services monthly at the most would be willing to "subvert democracy" to get "their Christian nation."
If Trump supporters are the religious zealots you seem to think they are, wouldn't they all be much more devout church goers?

Then there's the CATO Institute study that identified five distinct groups of Trump voters, only 31% of them being "staunch conservatives." https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publ...s-trump-voters
Attached Thumbnails
Conservatives understand libs and the way they think.....reverse is not true-religion.jpg  

Old 06-11-2019, 03:44 PM

926 posts, read 417,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
Actually, no you don't understand. Your upbringing in an "Independent Fundamental Baptist church" appears to have given you a very skewed view of Trump supporters and conservatives in general. Trump supporters are not some monolithic bloc of fanatics only slightly more liberal than the loons at westboro baptist, dreaming of returning to the days of the sock hop and huge tail fins that you seem to believe.

White, working class people voted for Donald Trump at about 2:1 over Hillary, yet 42% of them
"seldom or never" attend church services.

I'm wondering why such a large number of people, the vast majority of whom only attend church services monthly at the most would be willing to "subvert democracy" to get "their Christian nation."
If Trump supporters are the religious zealots you seem to think they are, wouldn't they all be much more devout church goers?

Then there's the CATO Institute study that identified five distinct groups of Trump voters, only 31% of them being "staunch conservatives." https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publ...s-trump-voters
That's right. Plus, there are also people who are not Christians among Trump supporters.

In fact, I doubt that most uber-socially-conservative people are big fans of Donald Trump. Trump is not socially conservative. He is a pro-business, fiscally conservative, New-York Republican type.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
My experience has been that most true Americans hate him, whether they are Liberals or Conservatives, Democrats or Republicans. The people that love Trump are the ones who want to return America back to pre-revolutionairy times, you know, the stuff we left England and Europe for.

Trump himself will tell you that if you don't applaud him you are a traitor. If you don't agree with him, you should be jailed. I know a lot of "fine people on both sides". Very few of them support Trump, and I do believe that those who do, will one day realize they were tricked.
wow are you out there!

Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are several posters here, who I could even name specifically if I didn't fear a TOS violation, who called Michelle Obama "Mooch"
This would come up very quickly in a C-D word search, no doubt, so I invite people to try it themselves.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,685 times
As an outsider looking in on US politics it seems that neither side really WANTS to understand the other, it has become very polarised with people going to extreme lengths to put down the other side without any notion of compromise or trying to understand where people they disagree with are coming from. I don't think it was always that way, even if you look back to presidential debates in the Reagan era they seemed much more civilised and respectful. Is that a real thing in general live or does it just seem that way because of online media including this forum that encourages people to think and act that way? Are most folks in general life away from the Internet as riled up about 'the enemy' on the other side as they seem to be on forums like this?

It seems to be going the same way in my country the UK when you look at online activity, especially with the Brexit debate, but in real life away from the Internet it is still more reasonable and understanding, most people are not extremists for one side or the other. Is that the same in the US?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
That might be correct.

I know it's very difficult for me to understand how anyone with basic intelligence, basic humanity, and basic integrity could support someone as mean, ignorant, untruthful, bullying, and bigoted as Trump, or even could support some of the heartlessly greedy goals of the GOP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Like the DNC aren't greedy at times with being SJWs?
I know of no president who has exhibited such self-dealing greed, both before and during his tenure, and a main goal of the GOP, too, is constantly focusing on how to enrich the wealthy, whether through lower taxes or sweetheart business deals.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
As an outsider looking in on US politics it seems that neither side really WANTS to understand the other, it has become very polarised with people going to extreme lengths to put down the other side without any notion of compromise or trying to understand where people they disagree with are coming from. I don't think it was always that way, even if you look back to presidential debates in the Reagan era they seemed much more civilised and respectful. Is that a real thing in general live or does it just seem that way because of online media including this forum that encourages people to think and act that way? Are most folks in general life away from the Internet as riled up about 'the enemy' on the other side as they seem to be on forums like this?

It seems to be going the same way in my country the UK when you look at online activity, especially with the Brexit debate, but in real life away from the Internet it is still more reasonable and understanding, most people are not extremists for one side or the other. Is that the same in the US?
Yes, it is the same. I think that the anonymity of the internet emboldens people to be more extreme than they might be in person. Most everyone I know did not vote for Trump, however, I know a few people who did. The two "groups" have no problem socializing. But we just avoid talking about politics. I will agree, however, that the US is more polarized than I have ever seen it, and I am in my 60s.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are people, both liberal and conservative who believe that money is more important than people. We live in a society where many people look out for #1. How that thought process manifests itself often varies.

And there are other things I would like to say. I'm learning that some people held their noses while voting for Trump. Yes, there are alot of people who are ardently pro-Trump. I live around such types. At the same time, I think some people voted for Trump because they disliked Hilary Clinton and while liking Gary Johnson, didn't feel he had a chance.

Now, there are things I will address. I understand some people who would proudly support someone who fits some of the things you describe. Alot of it is anger. This is a culture war. I was one of those persons who thought "there's no way Trump can win. He's proven how brutish and ugly of heart he can be". I never understood why some people would say "Trump's good for Black people" or "Trump is doing good for Blacks". I understand now. Even after living in conservative areas for a large part of my life, there were things I didn't understand, until the last 2 years. Why support someone who mocks a physically challenged person? Why support someone who has made some inflammatory remarks on Twitter regarding Blacks? Why support someone who mocks a veteran, even up to that veteran's death?

It's all about that culture war. There are many who like that Trump is this way. He isn't saying things that everyone is thinking. However, he is saying many things that many people want to hear, or at the very least, aren't offended by. Some might look at his behavior as "We're sick of political correctness and he's the antidote to the problem". There are individuals who want it to be okay to just say whatever is on their mind, without any kind of recourse. There are individuals who feel that they are under siege, threatened by the way things are.

In general, this is my theory about the most ardent of Trump supporters. He says what they want to hear. That is my understanding of them. No one tells me how to think. This is my thinking, my conclusion based on what I've grown up around, what I live around, and the experiences that I have had.
Though I do not entirely agree with this, this was very well explained and thank you. The part I have bolded is the most concerning part about It and the It supporters: It is a fear-based culture.
Anyone operating from a position of fear is very very dangerous.

I am in Texas. Though Dallas itself is liberal, one need not go far from the center circle to find conservatives- it IS Texas, after all. Having said that, and after living in 2 very liberal west coast states, I do not see Texas as all that conservative. We have very high taxes that support a lot of programs and infrastructure, we have a major cross-cultural society, more than I have seen anywhere except NYC, you get the gist. Texas conservatives, yes painting with a broad brush here, still want to protect people, preserve the relationship with Mexico, do not want the wall, and expect government to handle a lot of the issues in infrastructure which would require taxation, and recycle. Liberals in Texas (not me, BTW) mostly do not care for open borders, Obamacare, and are begrudgingly perhaps for oil extraction because of our economy. I am the lunatic fringe in Texas, as are those who support Pres. It. Therefore, I do understand where you are coming from.....I am just not really in love with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies