U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 07:49 PM

1,352 posts, read 691,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nothing wrong with trafficking if it’s voluntary.

Nobody is trying to change your mind.

Sex has been a commodity ever since the dawn of humankind, probably even before.

All I am saying is live and let live.

Whether something is bad for some group as a whole is not up to us to decide. Let each individual make their own decisions.

Mexican cartels are the ones doing the trafficking, and they're ruthless. There's young women that go missing all the time in Mexico but people are too afraid to speak out about it. Not just Mexico, but here too, and not just women, but men too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 07:51 PM

18,870 posts, read 9,629,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Mexican cartels are the ones doing the trafficking, and they're ruthless. There's young women that go missing all the time in Mexico but people are too afraid to speak out about it. Not just Mexico, but here too, and not just women, but men too.
Once again, if it’s VOLUNTARY, trafficking is fine.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, if it’s VOLUNTARY, trafficking is fine.

They kidnap you, and hook you on heroin, I guess it's voluntary because those people tried to live a life outside of their homes.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 PM

18,870 posts, read 9,629,862 times
Quote:
They kidnap you, and hook you on heroin, I guess it's voluntary because those people tried to live a life outside of their homes.
How is kidnaping voluntary?

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

7,125 posts, read 1,787,539 times
Quote:

Best example here is the Nevada brothels. No one is kidnapped or forced heroin. That kind of stuff is more likely when illegal enterprises control it. Looked what happened when alcohol was illegal during prohibition. People still bought it but from the mob not legal stores.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 PM

9,527 posts, read 5,367,349 times
Quote:
Kidnapping kinda implies it isn't voluntary.

I personally don't support pimping and pandering but just the individual rights portion. But any job you can't voluntarily leave is and has always been illegal.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:55 PM

12,679 posts, read 10,505,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Don't want to discuss nor be challenged your opinions, don't put it on the table... never understood why people do that?

Anyways...

You are wrong... your opinion is actually the popular one... There is more support for legalization of marijuana than support to give women right/dominion over their body. What does that tell yah about our society?
I have discussed my opinions but I am also solid in those beliefs, so nothing will change my mind. I firmly believe that men buying sex from women, commodifying sex, is harmful to women as a whole and how men view women in society.

My opinion is not the popular one amongst young liberal people today (I am a young person, and in my experience young people around me at least lean liberal), mainstream today at least amongst liberals seems to be "sex work is work" and valid, not that it is actually harmful and while making it illegal may not work, it shouldn't be encouraged as some valid option and that women should be encouraged to seek other avenues when they are desperate and not resort to selling their bodies to desperate men. Idk how conservatives feel about it, I imagine they would want it regulated because controlling bodies is their thing but I suspect their opinions may often stem from religious beliefs like their opinions on abortion and birth control and sex in general often do.

The question in prostitution is whether women are truly making a choice. You and others can think that a lot of women totally voluntarily choose it when they have a variety of other options and opportunities but I disagree. It is exploitative and many women are coerced into it, even if not trafficked; they are actually coerced or feel like they have no other choice because of their situations. If women truly are voluntarily going into it and aren't getting harmed at all and are making good money and are safe, then good - they can do what they want. But this is not the reality for many, so it's not truly a "choice between two consenting adults" imo in most situations. And even if it is in rare cases, I still think the idea that men can buy sex from women is damaging.

My opinion does not stem from wanting control at all, it comes from a point of concern for individual women and women as a whole. Women are already at a higher risk of experiencing violence at the hands of men than men are by women, and getting seriously hurt or killed from it. There is already a problem where some men feel entitled to women and their attention, and get violent if they don't get it or it doesn't go their way. I don't think that the idea that men can buy sex from women helps this at all. It creates an idea of entitlement and inequality. Women could buy sex from men, sure, and some do, but there is not nearly an equal demand. Prostitution is largely a woman's "job" and men are the paying customers. It is just an aspect of society and it is an unequal one and I see it as damaging.

Whether it is legal or not, whether it happens or not, this is my view on it.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Ok... going off the deep end here...

But trafficking of other labor types... other legal types... still exists even if legal. What does that tell yah?

Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Best example here is the Nevada brothels. No one is kidnapped or forced heroin. That kind of stuff is more likely when illegal enterprises control it. Looked what happened when alcohol was illegal during prohibition. People still bought it but from the mob not legal stores.

It's there, like in sleezy run down motels off the interstates. Not everyone can afford the legal prostitutes.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I have discussed my opinions but I am also solid in those beliefs, so nothing will change my mind. I firmly believe that men buying sex from women, commodifying sex, is harmful to women as a whole and how men view women in society.
Again.. your take on it.... overly simplistic view... with many wrong assumptions. So promiscuous women are also commodifying sex and also should be banned or behavior restrict? How about if they sell it for a dollar... 10 dollars... 30 40 100 200..1000. When does it go from individual choice to commodifying? Again.. its not up to you to decide what goes on in private.

Since you don't want to discuss then why even continue....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or