U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM

9,424 posts, read 4,329,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I've never sat in a window seat that I felt was "cozy" - also, there are lots of bay/bow windows aren't large enough to accommodate a seat. They more often than not look tacked-on, or like a stylistic afterthought to me.

On a Victorian home, some of these things are appropriate and handsome. I don't believe the OP is referring to Victorian homes.
Have you been to Philly? The bay windows on Philly row houses look both functional and attractive to me. Bay windows provide good views looking up and down the street. Plus rounding out the flatness of a typical row house. Just like the bow fronts in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM

9,424 posts, read 4,329,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
just asking...I like them, I like the idea of a window seat to do some reading...a Cozy nook

I also like other 'Victorian' features Eyebrow windows, and Stained glass windows....Ornate and decorative designs were the hallmark of Victorian homes... I also like the octagonal and round tower , turrets, dormers, and wide wrap-around porches designs of Victorian (queen anne) designs.

Decorative railings and turned posts were typical of these Victorian porches that usually wrapped around at least two sides of the house. Ornate trim work around the porches included gingerbread cutouts and spindle work

I (personally) think these are some of the most beautiful homes ever made
100% agree. But don't leave out cornices, the little extensions at the front edge of a roof. They give even little flat facade row houses a bit of class.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,013,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Kenyatta.
What a wonderful American name.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:04 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,697,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Kenyatta.
What’s an American name? Here last name Johnson classifies as an English American name but what’s an American first name? Do German American last names don’t count or Irish American or Polish American?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 PM

1,932 posts, read 406,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I read the article. Where does Johnson claim the changes to the buildings are racist?
Indirectly, because they are a sign of gentrification, and gentrification is seen as rich, mostly-white people returning back to and improving these areas and driving prices up and out of the reach of the minority community. It's all in liberal code-speak. I suggest you learn to decipher their BS, mindless and empty-headed as it is.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM

6,539 posts, read 1,339,947 times
Glad to know he has his priorities straight! (LOL)

Old 06-11-2019, 02:38 PM

45,777 posts, read 34,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
Nowhere in your link is racism mentioned.

No shortage of people of all ethnicities oppose gentrification of neighborhoods.

Sounds like this ship may have sailed, given the thousands of new row houses that have been built.

Politicians have this pesky habit of proposing legislation they know will fail. Nonetheless, they claim it as an accomplishment.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
I believe this is the same power hungry tyrant who banned businesses from using bulletproof glass. Who the hell is electing these people!?!?!?
He did? All by himself?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Kenyatta.
What exactly is an “ American” name?

Your chosen screen name is not American.

Roscoe Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or