Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:25 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,415,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
After coasting to an easy victory last week in what was expected to be a competitive and potentially groundbreaking Democratic primary election, City Councilman Kenyatta Johnson returned to Council just two days later with his eyes set on regulating new construction in his fast-gentrifying district — a contentious subject that was seen as a key issue in his primary race.

Johnson, who represents much of South Philadelphia, introduced a bill during City Council’s May 23 session that would ban balconies and bay windows across Point Breeze and Grays Ferry. The two architectural features would still be allowed outside of those two neighborhoods, but according to the bill, the distance from which they can project from a building would continue to be regulated.
https://tinyurl.com/y6n3cxja

Bay windows are Raycis!

Add it to the list:

Everything Is Racism | Hire a civil rights lawyer. You're a victim of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
I read the article. Where does Johnson claim the changes to the buildings are racist?

Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,182,912 times
Standard liberal lunacy. Nothing new.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:58 PM

39,810 posts, read 26,408,051 times
Just when you're convinced Democrats can't get anyone dumber, another one shows up and goes "hold my beer".

Old 06-11-2019, 08:03 AM

28,355 posts, read 16,320,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I read the article. Where does Johnson claim the changes to the buildings are racist?

I didn't see it, either.

Now, I hate bay windows and would gladly see them die a quick death, but that's for my own personal aesthetic reasons....

Old 06-11-2019, 08:16 AM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
he doesn't, so pretty indicative of the political discourse "gotcha" that's so popular here.

However, "gentrification" is a code word for "white interlopers and racist against existing black residents", and that word was used several times.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 AM

5,257 posts, read 6,183,331 times
Gentrification is not limited to whites an blacks. There are several other races that come into play and folks can be displaced by others in their own race...

As far as the building elements I think a lot of people do not understand what they are looking at. Most of those buildings had overhangs not bay windows. And there was no explanation of a bay window vs bowfront. I'm also not sure if they meant the cantilevers were over actual public land or simply the public right of way or setbacks- two very different scenarios.

Ironically when you limit what can be built to actual drives up prices more quickly because it limits supply or makes existing larger homes/buildings more advantageous.

There is also an argument to be made for building/community preservation efforts which are pretty much color blind.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM

30,564 posts, read 18,061,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
Gentrification is not limited to whites an blacks. There are several other races that come into play and folks can be displaced by others in their own race...

As far as the building elements I think a lot of people do not understand what they are looking at. Most of those buildings had overhangs not bay windows. And there was no explanation of a bay window vs bowfront. I'm also not sure if they meant the cantilevers were over actual public land or simply the public right of way or setbacks- two very different scenarios.

Ironically when you limit what can be built to actual drives up prices more quickly because it limits supply or makes existing larger homes/buildings more advantageous.

There is also an argument to be made for building/community preservation efforts which are pretty much color blind.
While technically true, you're kidding yourself if you believe that the term as used in modern political discourse does not refer to whites moving into minority communities, which makes the term inherently racial as used. There is zero outrage when wealthier blacks are moving in displacing poorer blacks.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:54 AM

19,492 posts, read 12,126,903 times
What horrific architecture.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM

5,973 posts, read 2,214,423 times
Perhaps it's because some parts of Philadelphia should look like Philadelphia not Seattle or some other non-descript West-Coast city.

The second floors of those buildings look like IKEA "Build a Second Floor" kits. Old brick to light pastel upper second floors looks hideous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies