U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:17 AM

19,242 posts, read 12,256,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
He’s not the only one. If you do decide to go “stay away from the mini bars”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...ter-being-shot

California man died in April at Dominican Republic resort after drink from hotel room minibar

https://www.foxnews.com/world/domini...l-room-minibar

Maybe they were just passionate Yankees fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:41 AM

33,111 posts, read 13,972,929 times
Its always been dangerous outside the resorts, that is nothing new. Never had an issue, there are shootings but it wouldn't have received the attention if it was someone other than Ortiz. The people that died inside the resort deserve more investigation but that is certainly not the norm.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:28 PM

11,188 posts, read 2,777,733 times
Tucker Carlson just did a report on the other Americans who died. There was a quick interview with the owner of the resorts. He said when people are on vacation at an all inclusive resort where everything is free, they eat and drink too much. So gluttony killed them?

Old 06-20-2019, 01:48 PM

121 posts, read 22,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The ONLY Island I would ever consider visiting would be Puerto Rico because of their US affiliation.
PR is way way more dangerous than DR by a long shot, murder/crime rate is more than double.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:52 PM

183 posts, read 113,640 times
I definitely wouldn't go there

Old 06-20-2019, 02:03 PM

50,757 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
The ONLY Island I would ever consider visiting would be Puerto Rico because of their US affiliation.
You can’t be serious. Plus the Virgin Islands are part of the United States and is less dangerous than Puerto Rico by a long shot.

Puerto Rico would be one of the LAST islands in the Caribbean that I’d travel to. It’s just as dangerous as the Dominican Republic, and a lot more expensive.

The overwhelming majority of nations in the West Indies are extremely safe. What are you afraid of? Aruba, Martinique, Trinidad, Turks & Caicos, Dominica, Grenada...all far more safe than Puerto Rico.

Simply put, like the typical American, you’re too provincial in your thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
And American women are getting raped in Mexican hotels, but TripAdvisor has censored it.
American women are getting raped in American hotels. By Americans.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM

50,757 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
PR is way way more dangerous than DR by a long shot, murder/crime rate is more than double.
Some folks on YouTube were saying that even Haiti is far safer than Puerto Rico, and I can believe it.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:05 PM

6,409 posts, read 3,594,818 times
Daughter and family (3 and 5 year old sons) were supposed to go to Nickeloden Resort there in November. Flying Jet Blue which issued statement they would refund flights there to anyone who wanted. That reality celeb who got sick at that Nickeloden Resort convinced her.

She considered Aruba instead but too expensive and not "family friendly". Disney Florida is also too expensive and she thinks her 3 year old too young for it. I agree on that one bringing HER there when she was 4.

Daughter is now considering Jamaica! What??? I said to her what about the US Virgin Islands, or maybe even Bermuda? She and her husband have been to PR before children, but right now don't think that is a good idea either.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You can’t be serious. Plus the Virgin Islands are part of the United States and is less dangerous than Puerto Rico by a long shot.

Puerto Rico would be one of the LAST islands in the Caribbean that I’d travel to. It’s just as dangerous as the Dominican Republic, and a lot more expensive.

The overwhelming majority of nations in the West Indies are extremely safe. What are you afraid of? Aruba, Martinique, Trinidad, Turks & Caicos, Dominica, Grenada...all far more safe than Puerto Rico.

Simply put, like the typical American, you’re too provincial in your thinking.

American women are getting raped in American hotels. By Americans.
you lost all credibility when you said Trinidad is safe. Trinidad , st Kitts, and Jamaica all have Crime rate that double that of Puerto Rico and 5 TIMES HIGHER than DR. lol

Old 06-20-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Daughter and family (3 and 5 year old sons) were supposed to go to Nickeloden Resort there in November. Flying Jet Blue which issued statement they would refund flights there to anyone who wanted. That reality celeb who got sick at that Nickeloden Resort convinced her.

She considered Aruba instead but too expensive and not "family friendly". Disney Florida is also too expensive and she thinks her 3 year old too young for it. I agree on that one bringing HER there when she was 4.

Daughter is now considering Jamaica! What??? I said to her what about the US Virgin Islands, or maybe even Bermuda? She and her husband have been to PR before children, but right now don't think that is a good idea either.
I think they overreacted. DR is a very safe place, all this is a made up "crisis" like they do every summer with sharks or other scare tactics to keep people looking at the media.

Just to give some context, the first trimester of 2019 the Dominican murder rate was 9.3 per 100k, thats about the same rate of South Carolina or Georgia.
In tourist areas crime is almost null. You are actually safer in a tourist area in DR than in your average US city or mid size town.

http://www.oscrd.gob.do/images/Informes/OSC-IE-031.pdf (in Spanish)

Last edited by Grabandgo; 06-20-2019 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies