U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 AM

27,404 posts, read 15,827,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Trump has declared a number of these as disaster areas, the stories have not been published nationally very much.

I am not following your complaint on this one.

What specifically is not occurring for these impacted persons that you want done?

Is it possible that nationally, people really just don't care that much about the inevitable federal aid response after yet another fire or flood? It's pretty boring stuff.
He has done some but as I have said for some reason the media don't report it. I have watched the nightly news broadcasts hastily religiously flipping between ABC and NBC if there is sports conflicts. It isn't shown. That said, ironically the main one shown that has anational emergency is Oklahoma, despite the flooding even.going as no.rth as Michigan. Your Google link now shows a news article where Michigan's governor is begging for disaster relief funding from the President. So he has done.some, but not enough and he talks more about his pet issues than actually worry about the disaster sites and people. Maybe this is why voting an atypical president is a bad thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:50 AM

4,989 posts, read 2,013,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm sure any of us who have kept up with the news know about the devastating storms and floods in the midwest and the South the past two weeks. I'm sure those of us in the Western US (namely California, Arizona and Nevada) know about the wildfires. Both are national emergencies yet Trump isn't doing aanything but talk about his tariffs. Why was it so easy for him to use the national emergency for his faked border crisis about the wall, yet he cannot for Americans suffering due to severe weather that are statistically thousand year storms and phenomenon?

Better yet, why aren't anyone even the "liberal" media holding his feet to the fire on this issue?
Quote:
He has done some but as I have said for some reason the media don't report it. I have watched the nightly news broadcasts hastily religiously flipping between ABC and NBC if there is sports conflicts. It isn't shown. That said, ironically the main one shown that has anational emergency is Oklahoma, despite the flooding even.going as no.rth as Michigan. Your Google link now shows a news article where Michigan's governor is begging for disaster relief funding from the President. So he has done.some, but not enough and he talks more about his pet issues than actually worry about the disaster sites and people. Maybe this is why voting an atypical president is a bad thing...

LOL! Michigan ain't begging... they just made the request for disaster relief yesterday.

Your main complaint seems to be that Trump isn't clutching pearls to your satisfaction.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM

1,022 posts, read 178,397 times
All Presidents deal with natural disasters without much fanfare. Hurricanes and huge fires are different because the media gets a head start to ramp up the story, especially with hurricanes. And to be fair, lots of people like to watch the news anchors stand in the storms and see the aftermath / response.

You only hear about natural disaster coverage nationally if it is severe enough in damage and potential loss of life, or the government screws up the response. The response is automatic and triggered regardless of who is president. As long as FEMA doesn't screw the pooch then there is not much to report once cleanup begins.

If you live in Florida like I do, you get used to seeing responses to flooding and wind damage several times a year.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:58 AM

23,260 posts, read 12,351,464 times
Isn't federal aid for natural disasters initiated by state governors.

There have been reports that aid has been approved.

Not sure why there needs to be a big story on it.

Getting the funds approved is easy.

It's the distribution of the aid that gets complicated.

North Carolina is a good example.

And yeah - -that's not on Trump necessarily....maybe the federal govt. could help the states distribute the funds quicker...but that's another story.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 AM

23,260 posts, read 12,351,464 times
oh and the folks needing the media to cover when the federal govt. does something routine right kind of makes me think we have lowered the bar. That's like your boss fussing every morning you get into work on time. Nothing extraordinary -- just showing up.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,762,158 times
Quote:
Trump isn't outspoken about the natural disasters and talks about them so I feel it is fair. Bush while Katrina was a mess federally, wasn't as bad being public with national emergency response as Trump is with these emergencies.
A quick google search shows Trump showing support for states hard hit in the past month via Twitter and on local news outlets. Not sure what you want to see. Maybe you could find a way to watch him 24/7 instead of what a national tv network decides to cover.

Are you also interested in the many volunteer disaster relief groups that help around the country? I doubt that the national tv networks cover that either.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM

52,071 posts, read 41,881,580 times
Quote:
Can you give me an example of where federal relief was requested but denied?

Again, I'm just not following your complaint here.

Re: MI, if you google Trump did it last August. He was just asked again (news articles are hours old) so is your beef that??? Seems like giving someone a day or two per govt. protocols would be reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or