Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 06:53 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

I'm sure any of us who have kept up with the news know about the devastating storms and floods in the midwest and the South the past two weeks. I'm sure those of us in the Western US (namely California, Arizona and Nevada) know about the wildfires. Both are national emergencies yet Trump isn't doing aanything but talk about his tariffs. Why was it so easy for him to use the national emergency for his faked border crisis about the wall, yet he cannot for Americans suffering due to severe weather that are statistically thousand year storms and phenomenon?

Better yet, why aren't anyone even the "liberal" media holding his feet to the fire on this issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 08:19 PM

3,646 posts, read 3,781,229 times
Acquaintances of mine in rural places who have had flooding are getting aid. Reports from areas affected by wildfire indicate they, too, are getting necessary aid.

What are the majority of media outlets going to report? "Bad things are happening, but Federal aid is going smoothly?". Not for this president. . Not for any.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Acquaintances of mine in rural places who have had flooding are getting aid. Reports from areas affected by wildfire indicate they, too, are getting necessary aid.

What are the majority of media outlets going to report? "Bad things are happening, but Federal aid is going smoothly?". Not for this president. . Not for any.
Trump isn't outspoken about the natural disasters and talks about them so I feel it is fair. Bush while Katrina was a mess federally, wasn't as bad being public with national emergency response as Trump is with these emergencies.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,032 times
The emergency will be constant for decades as regions become uninhabitable and people adapt to climate change.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
This is the new normal because of anthropogenic climate change. It will get worse. Much worse if nothing is done to curtail carbon emissions.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM

50,233 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Name a year when we haven't had wildfires in California.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:04 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Name a year when we haven't had wildfires in California.
Yeah, for the past 6 years the Leftist media has been wringing its hands over the California drought and the "new normal". Now the drought is officially over and...*sound of crickets*

https://www.drought.gov/drought/states/california

Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm sure any of us who have kept up with the news know about the devastating storms and floods in the midwest and the South the past two weeks. I'm sure those of us in the Western US (namely California, Arizona and Nevada) know about the wildfires. Both are national emergencies yet Trump isn't doing aanything but talk about his tariffs. Why was it so easy for him to use the national emergency for his faked border crisis about the wall, yet he cannot for Americans suffering due to severe weather that are statistically thousand year storms and phenomenon?

Better yet, why aren't anyone even the "liberal" media holding his feet to the fire on this issue?
https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Trump has declared a number of these as disaster areas, the stories have not been published nationally very much.

I am not following your complaint on this one.

What specifically is not occurring for these impacted persons that you want done?

Is it possible that nationally, people really just don't care that much about the inevitable federal aid response after yet another fire or flood? It's pretty boring stuff.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
This is the new normal because of anthropogenic climate change. It will get worse. Much worse if nothing is done to curtail carbon emissions.
Yes Chicken Little, the sky HAS fallen.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, for the past 6 years the Leftist media has been wringing its hands over the California drought and the "new normal". Now the drought is officially over and...*sound of crickets*

https://www.drought.gov/drought/states/california
remember all the dire stories about CA droughts 4-5 years ago? how they would never end?

i do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies