U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:34 PM

14,234 posts, read 6,132,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the FREEDOM to do whatever one wants with ones own body/life as long as it does NO harm to others is what i refer to...

in the mid 1800s the women's temperance league became a political force to push their idea of upright "moral" behavior on the rest of the US and eventually much of the world....this included booze as well

we have had the common sense to rollback the booze part but nevertheless still cling to various narcotics....

the results ARE in over a hundred years of cleaning up peoples "morals" we have seen NO decline in demand or supply and a tremendous rise in prison population...
this is if anything a health issue that we have criminalized....what gives another the right to takeaway anothers freedom based on unsound policy of immorality in another?

the classic old narcotics such as codeine, morphine and heroin are dirt cheap and cost pennies to produce and could be registered and dispensed by prescription to valid addicts at a fraction of the grief and cost of our "WAR"

if one eliminates all the hustle and bustle of todays war..most will be responsible hold jobs and do every other thing the rest of society does without incident...but this seems beyond manys comprehension
I donít want heroin legal because legal means acceptable. I also donít think taxpayers should be forced against their will to fund someoneís addiction. Thatís not freedom for the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 12:44 PM

50,773 posts, read 26,797,889 times
Quote:
the problem is a certain percentage of the population is going to be addicted to some type of substance

i really don't think posters change their mind frequently from the information contained on any of these forums......the US has experience with prohibition from booze and saw firsthand what all the money and corruption did...using common sense the country repealed THAT prohibition...
1) much gun violence and general petty theft stopped with regulated low price substance
2) Mexican drug war violence curtailed and people fleeing such violence curtailed by degrees

i have lifelong experience with abuse and have been sober 20 years working voluntarily and professionally in the field...drug addicts are some of the hardest working people i have ever seen working a regular job as well as scoring dope lol....my mother was a nurse from the 1940s thru the 1970s and spent time as an active narcotics user on and off (she was the head nurse of an entire floor)

nearly ALL the misinformation and beliefs about drug use stem from drug war hysteria

BUT please just carry on with all the mostly wrong headed beliefs that much of the general population has AND continue to enrich the drug Cartels they certainly thank you
Meh...Americans love passing judgement on other nations without looking at themselves first. It makes us feel better about ourselves.

No first world country is as doped up as the United States is. Americans have no room to criticize drug problems and remedyís to those problems in any other society but their own.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM

13,173 posts, read 4,504,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...Americans love passing judgement on other nations without looking at themselves first. It makes us feel better about ourselves.

No first world country is as doped up as the United States is. Americans have no room to criticize drug problems and remedyís to those problems in any other society but their own.
Letting prisoners use heroin is not a remedy by any stretch of the imagination. It worsens the problem. Forcing them to detox and get off of it is an actual remedy.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:59 PM

11,217 posts, read 2,785,194 times
I can see alcoholics suing the prison system, demanding they have mini-bars in their cells.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:01 PM

5,342 posts, read 1,453,757 times
What a wonderful incentive to get oneself put in jail.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What a wonderful incentive to get oneself put in jail.
pretty much. Why suffer on the streets when you can just go to jail and get 3 hots, a cot and a few bags of heroin a day. It's a dream come true for the addict.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM

11,183 posts, read 8,575,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
How humane it must be for Canadians to know their government will allow them the dignity of staying high because their government didn't want to intrude on minorities that preyed on their good nature to make them into sources of income via drug addiction, because that would be racist.
Huh? Where were the parts that mentioned anything about race or minorities? You're also assuming minorities are the only drug dealers.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 PM

798 posts, read 257,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I donít want heroin legal because legal means acceptable. I also donít think taxpayers should be forced against their will to fund someoneís addiction. Thatís not freedom for the taxpayer.
again i repeat im NOT sure any of us has a "right" to judge what is acceptable for another as long as it does no harm to other people...and again if drugs were legal albeit restricted to prescription they would be parceled out just as any other medication and i again refer to the cheapness of the very old narcotics codeine morphine and heroin...i dont even see where taxpayers enter into the equation of the scenario i propose at all

Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 1,453,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
pretty much. Why suffer on the streets when you can just go to jail and get 3 hots, a cot and a few bags of heroin a day. It's a dream come true for the addict.
Clean heroin at that. For an addict, life is better in prison.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
again i repeat im NOT sure any of us has a "right" to judge what is acceptable for another as long as it does no harm to other people...and again if drugs were legal albeit restricted to prescription they would be parceled out just as any other medication and i again refer to the cheapness of the very old narcotics codeine morphine and heroin...i dont even see where taxpayers enter into the equation of the scenario i propose at all
Almost all heroin addicts don't work because they can't hold a job. Who pays for their "medicine"? Yep, the tax payer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies