U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:14 PM

50,629 posts, read 26,718,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Sneak into Canada and you can enjoy all the drugs you want in their prisons.
Again, whatís your solution? The Canadians are being proactive in their search. The United States isnít being active at all except building more prisons and continuing a failed drug war.

If Americans know so much about what to do, why is our country a drug addled cesspool and our prisons are not only innumerable, but out of control?

Canada has to do whatís best for Canada. Maybe you guys should use Canada as a Socratic exercise and come up with a solution of your own instead of just being critical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 AM

7,235 posts, read 6,581,911 times
Quote:

If drug addict foreigners sneak into Canada and commit crimes that would put them into prison the foreigners will be arrested, charged and then handed directly over to the authorities in their own country that they came from. They will then have criminal records in both Canada and in their own country and they will also be permanently banned from ever entering Canada again. And they don't get to pass go, when they are deported they will go directly to jail in their own country where they will get a harsher sentence and won't be getting any drugs provided to them.

Canada doesn't keep other foreign countries' criminals in its jails, it just arrests and charges them and then deports them. It's a no-brainer. Canadian prisons are for Canadian criminals only and are paid for by Canadian tax-payers. Foreign criminals aren't welcome and won't be babysat and paid for in Canada's prisons. They are their own countries' problems to deal with, not Canada's problem. And if their own country has much harsher sentencing and punishments for the crimes committed in more lenient countries like Canada, possibly even including a death sentence, well, that's the criminal's problem isn't it? Canadians won't care. The foreign criminals weren't invited to crash Canada's party.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:07 AM

975 posts, read 190,895 times
Cons seem to think that all heroine addicts are like the ones you see in movies. Completely broken down and can't function, no teeth, criminals.

If they are THAT broken, its most likely secondary symptoms.

If Heroin was made as a "public good" distributed to those that need it... a dose would cost less then $1.
A person could hold on to a minimum paying job and easily control their addiction.

As it is today, its chopped, diluted, additives added, costs are astronomical and people can't afford to keep jobs and keep paying for it. It ruins their lives, increases crimes and costs taxpayers $Billions each year, so somebody can feel good and criticize others lives.

The American Conservative way is to shame them and blame their morals, while the rest of the world sees it as a medical issue.
A issue that could be treated with CHEAP and clean heroin...

Old 06-13-2019, 01:21 AM

2,172 posts, read 1,751,462 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be a terribly enjoyable experience.

I've been in Canadian prisons--not as an inmate, but as a lawyer, dealing with my clients. Although I always get to leave at the end of my visit, the few hours I spend there are enough to convince me that they are places I never want to end up in, being unable to leave for years, instead at the end of the day.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:17 AM

7,115 posts, read 1,785,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yep, the only groups that benefit from this are, law enforcement, prisons, the courts, and the drug cartels.

Gee, I wonder why all these groups are colluding with each other?!! LOL

You can take it one step further. Why are all these Central Americans scrambling to get up here? This whole war on drugs has helped foster the 18th street gangs and all the drug dealing associated with it. Those people get caught and deported and they end up using all the stuff they learned on the streets in America back down in Central America. The violence and crime has sky rocketed there and now people living there want to leave and come here.

There is always a cause and effect.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:25 AM

7,115 posts, read 1,785,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post

If Heroin was made as a "public good" distributed to those that need it... a dose would cost less then $1.
A person could hold on to a minimum paying job and easily control their addiction.

As it is today, its chopped, diluted, additives added, costs are astronomical and people can't afford to keep jobs and keep paying for it. It ruins their lives, increases crimes and costs taxpayers $Billions each year, so somebody can feel good and criticize others lives.

Exactly. Before prohibition there were many who thought alcoholism was the greatest threat to society and banning it would solve all our problems. But people kept drinking it they were just paying mobsters instead of legal businesses for it. Crime went way up and nothing was solved from it.

Heroin is a horrible drug. But the drug war approach to dealing with it has failed and hurt society. Having it illegal and much more expensive that if it was legal just encourages addicts to commit crimes to get the money to buy it. It does not stop its use.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again, whatís your solution? The Canadians are being proactive in their search. The United States isnít being active at all except building more prisons and continuing a failed drug war.

If Americans know so much about what to do, why is our country a drug addled cesspool and our prisons are not only innumerable, but out of control?

Canada has to do whatís best for Canada. Maybe you guys should use Canada as a Socratic exercise and come up with a solution of your own instead of just being critical.
^^^Exactly.

First off, this is Canada's choice, doesn't affect me.

Some of you sound like a neighbor looking over the fence and seeing me cooking brats and saying, "I don't like brats". Well who cares, they're not for you.

If others experiment with various programs and some fail and some work then we can learn from those experiences on THEIR DIME.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:39 AM

10,588 posts, read 2,702,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Exactly. Before prohibition there were many who thought alcoholism was the greatest threat to society and banning it would solve all our problems. But people kept drinking it they were just paying mobsters instead of legal businesses for it. Crime went way up and nothing was solved from it.

Heroin is a horrible drug. But the drug war approach to dealing with it has failed and hurt society. Having it illegal and much more expensive that if it was legal just encourages addicts to commit crimes to get the money to buy it. It does not stop its use.
Its so strange, no one here in the US ever seems to hold the DEA responsible, they are the ones tasked with getting this problem under control (or at least attempting to do so), but how many years have they been waging the drug war now?

They have to be one of the most ineffective govt agencies in existence, but no one seems to ever hold them accountable?!! At some point, Id figure the american people would stand up and say enough is enough, you have had your chance to deal with this and youve done nothing but make it worse and actually creating the perfect business climate for criminal drug cartels to operate!!

People talk about collusion in regards to Trump and Russia all the time, yet no one seems to care that a federal LE agency is is full collusion with foreign drug cartels!!! LOL

Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM

14,199 posts, read 6,110,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
again i repeat im NOT sure any of us has a "right" to judge what is acceptable for another as long as it does no harm to other people...and again if drugs were legal albeit restricted to prescription they would be parceled out just as any other medication and i again refer to the cheapness of the very old narcotics codeine morphine and heroin...i dont even see where taxpayers enter into the equation of the scenario i propose at all
Who pays for the pharmaceutical grade heroin these prisoners will receive? Itís not the drug addicts, so it must be the government, i.e., taxpayers.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 AM

45,822 posts, read 34,049,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Would you rather continue paying for YEARS and YEARS of Suboxone and methodone treatment for former heroin addicts, like whats going on in the US right now? The Suboxone doctors office I go to, 99% of the patients are on state medicaid and pay nothing, they have weekly doctor visits, weekly drug screens, and are prescribed Suboxone, which costs about $700 per month, per person...All of this paid by the taxpayers!
And as you know, Subs have a high street value.

While it is an effective treatment for Opioid addiction, when used as directed, it is commonly diverted, sold and misused on the street.

As I understand it, some state Medicare Systems no longer pay for Subs and instead increasingly rely on Bunavail, a lesser dose alternative to Suboxone.

This thing about Subs is that many Opioid/ Opiate addicts have a tendency to turn to non Opioid/ Opiate substances. Living life as is without the benefit of substances is challenging for many people, not just Opioid/ Opiate addicts.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 06-13-2019 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies