U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:56 AM

7,124 posts, read 1,787,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its so strange, no one here in the US ever seems to hold the DEA responsible, they are the ones tasked with getting this problem under control (or at least attempting to do so), but how many years have they been waging the drug war now?

They have to be one of the most ineffective govt agencies in existence, but no one seems to ever hold them accountable?!! At some point, Id figure the american people would stand up and say enough is enough, you have had your chance to deal with this and youve done nothing but make it worse and actually creating the perfect business climate for criminal drug cartels to operate!!

People talk about collusion in regards to Trump and Russia all the time, yet no one seems to care that a federal LE agency is is full collusion with foreign drug cartels!!! LOL

I think the government and politicians are good at distracting the masses. They make the left distrust the right and visa versa yet they keep chipping away at our liberties. Its really like "1984" where people are focused on a fictional enemy and a fake war while the government keeps screwing everyone.

Not only has the drug war failed it spawned all this surveillance of Americans and spying. Like the war on terror. All these wars that are suppose to be against the bad guys end up being directed towards all Americans. We suffer from it. Now you have to dig deeper to prove who you are just to drive because you might be a bad one. Guilty until proven innocent.

But as long as people are busy hating other Americans because their ideologies are different no one will notice what is really going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 11:10 AM

45,831 posts, read 34,049,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
the FREEDOM to do whatever one wants with ones own body/life as long as it does NO harm to others is what i refer to...

in the mid 1800s the women's temperance league became a political force to push their idea of upright "moral" behavior on the rest of the US and eventually much of the world....this included booze as well

we have had the common sense to rollback the booze part but nevertheless still cling to various narcotics....

the results ARE in over a hundred years of cleaning up peoples "morals" we have seen NO decline in demand or supply and a tremendous rise in prison population...
this is if anything a health issue that we have criminalized....what gives another the right to takeaway anothers freedom based on unsound policy of immorality in another?

the classic old narcotics such as codeine, morphine and heroin are dirt cheap and cost pennies to produce and could be registered and dispensed by prescription to valid addicts at a fraction of the grief and cost of our "WAR"

if one eliminates all the hustle and bustle of todays war..most will be responsible hold jobs and do every other thing the rest of society does without incident...but this seems beyond manys comprehension
88,000 deaths a year are attributed to alcohol related causes. This does not include the 10,000 fatalities caused by alcohol impaired driving which are not limited to the drivers.

In contrast, there are 70,000 annual deaths attributed to Opioid/ Opiate overdose. The majority of these deaths are caused by Fentanyl/ analogs.

I am a long time, on again/ off again volunteer at a hospital detox/ treatment facility. The only countries that donít experience major challenges with drug addicted populations, have a history of imposing harsh consequences- including death.

Thatís not going to happen in the US. So.......

Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM

50,633 posts, read 26,718,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^Exactly.

First off, this is Canada's choice, doesn't affect me.

Some of you sound like a neighbor looking over the fence and seeing me cooking brats and saying, "I don't like brats". Well who cares, they're not for you.

If others experiment with various programs and some fail and some work then we can learn from those experiences on THEIR DIME.
I donít understand why Americans are always so hung on actions that other countries take to get ahead of a problem. Theyíre just doing the best they can.

The thing that kills me is we criticize other nations for crap that WE CANíT FIX in our own country! Yet Americans are constantly throwing stones at glass houses as if what we do actually works.

Itís so damn annoying.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM

14,201 posts, read 6,110,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its very simple...when that person gets out of jail and still has the addiction, would you rather the corner drug dealer be supplying them or some quality controlled, regulated supply?

Keep in mind, if they are going to the corner drug dealers, this means, its the drug cartels that are profiting and benefiting, all the violence and other problems that come with criminal organizations will still be around.

If the heroin is legal, its quality controlled and regulated, this means NO CRIMINAL ORGANIZATIONS involved, no violence, no crimes or beheadings, no shootouts over drug turf, etc, etc. (alcohol is a great example, once it was made legal again, the criminal element had no choice but to get out of the alcohol game, its why we dont see violence and killing over alcohol sales today).

But hey, if you support the drug cartels and wish for them to keep raking in the money and thriving, keep laws in place and keep things the way they are, the only way the cartels thrive and succeed, is if we keep doing the same thing.
Are you for real? You think taxpayers should subsidize junkies and provide them heroin?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:05 PM

766 posts, read 252,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
88,000 deaths a year are attributed to alcohol related causes. This does not include the 10,000 fatalities caused by alcohol impaired driving which are not limited to the drivers.

In contrast, there are 70,000 annual deaths attributed to Opioid/ Opiate overdose. The majority of these deaths are caused by Fentanyl/ analogs.

I am a long time, on again/ off again volunteer at a hospital detox/ treatment facility. The only countries that donít experience major challenges with drug addicted populations, have a history of imposing harsh consequences- including death.

Thatís not going to happen in the US. So.......
in this country we have an individual such as Elvis getting a DEA badge from Nixon supporting drug enforcement policy while simultaneously being filled to the Brim with every drug under the sun...and THAT sort of expresses the general public's knowledge of the issue....i only abused Rx drugs myself as i distrusted bathtub dope..lol as long as drug abuse was confined to those "other" people we had one attitude..but now that we have seen drug abuse across the socioeconomic spectrum the discussion of a "solution" becomes more acceptable...i have always known that to live life on life's terms i must deal with those that prefer addicts be boiled in oil

Old 06-13-2019, 01:47 PM

7,124 posts, read 1,787,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Are you for real? You think taxpayers should subsidize junkies and provide them heroin?

No its much better to have scores of heroin junkies running around desperate and willing to do almost anything to get the money for their fix. Taxpayers subsidize the government trying to catch these people now. If we catch them and throw them in jail the taxpayers are paying for their incarceration. If we don't catch them they are probably going to harm some innocent people.

Everyone knows a definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. That is our drug war for the past 40 years. Perhaps its time to stop the insanity to paraphrase that exercise guru from the 90's.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 PM

12,687 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Good, hopefully they all overdose. Everybody gets a win.
Such a cold, hateful thing to say.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:53 PM

12,687 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Quote:
Who pays for the pharmaceutical grade heroin these prisoners will receive? It’s not the drug addicts, so it must be the government, i.e., taxpayers.
Yes. We also pay for the nurses and staff, office space, clean needles, etc.

My tax dollars trying to do some good.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:05 PM

10,596 posts, read 2,705,869 times
Quote:
I understand...You side with the drug cartels, and believe things should remain the same (where the cartels supply the nations dope and the drug laws enable them to do so).

I am against the drug cartels though and support taking the criminal element out of the picture altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies