U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 09:05 PM

6,643 posts, read 1,966,961 times

Advertisements

If you watch the PBS News Hour, you know that there's a Friday segment that pairs a liberal and conservative journalist, in this case, Mark Shields and Peter Wehner. I hope you look at the transcript, but I'm only going to provide a short abbreviated excerpt.

Q: All right, I want to ask you both about — this is clearly a week we have spent in somber reflection on D-Day.

Peter Wehner: But, for me, what was, well, frankly, sickening was this interview that Donald Trump did with Laura Ingraham on FOX News, not just what he said, but where he said it. He had thousands and thousands of gravestones behind him, these people who had been cut down in the prime of their life. And he was attacking Nancy Pelosi and Robert Mueller, who himself was a — was a war hero, in petty terms. And to have done it then was, in my mind, a desecration at a sacred place. And it was another window into the bonfire of anger and resentments and grievances that is Donald Trump.

Mark Shields: I would just add this, Judy, that the 9,388 Americans, husbands, fathers, sons, brothers, sweethearts are buried there who either died at Normandy or in the liberation of France. We had 20 million victory gardens that civilians built that provided 40 percent of the vegetables for the whole country. We rationed everything from gasoline, to liquor, to cigarettes, to butter, to meat. And all Americans were part of the collective effort, the collective sacrifice, and it was led by those at the top, those of the greatest influence. The president of the United States [FDR] had four sons. Every one of them served in combat. Every one of them was awarded in combat. You take the multimillionaire son, sickly son of a multimillionaire, who asked his father to use his contacts to get him into combat, John Kennedy, rather than stay out.
And you go forward to where we are now — one out of four American males served in World War II. And now we have one-third — 1 percent of Americans serving. And they are serving over and over and over again, 18 years in Afghanistan. And if we had a draft, that wouldn't be the case... 18 years, longer than World War I, World War II, Korea and the Civil War combined. And we're still there. And what are we doing to pay for it in sacrifice? We have had three tax cuts.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/sh...-rule-reversal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or