U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 AM

10,678 posts, read 2,725,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Is this the same Kristy Swanson who was arrested for a cocaine overdose in 1988, the one who plead no contest for DWI in 2000 or the same one who was charged with assault in 2007?

Truly a role model for truth, justice and the American way, but I guess in terms of Trumpian morality it's just a little transgression to be overlooked.
Since when did obedience/ compliance, equal patriotism? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So what exactly did she accomplish? She basically did what Trump did. She threw a pity party because she was not getting her way. Standing up for the Pledge does not male you a patriotic American. Shaming someone into standing for the Pledge does nothing for anyone
No, but it teaches kids to respect our country and what it has stood for all these years. Not saying the pledge is one thing, not standing for it is quite another.

How can you,in good faith actually compare what she did or what Trump has done and claim pity party: take a look at Hillary, talk about pity party!!!!!

she may not have accomplished anything but she did what was right. In case you do not realize it we have something in the bill of rights that mentions freedom of speech. That is what she was exercising.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 AM

72,027 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Is this the same Kristy Swanson who was arrested for a cocaine overdose in 1988, the one who plead no contest for DWI in 2000 or the same one who was charged with assault in 2007?

Truly a role model for truth, justice and the American way, but I guess in terms of Trumpian morality it's just a little transgression to be overlooked.
If my math is right, that was 20 years ago. People change. But let's not forget, I think there is a candidate that wants to see felons still in prison be given the right to vote?

Old 06-11-2019, 05:53 AM

9,994 posts, read 8,097,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We in the USA are funny that way, huh? And we like to add rules to it. When my kid was in grade school here in Texas they added the pledge to the Texas flag. I'm a fifth generation Texan and had never recited that pledge in my entire life, never heard it. "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible." So, other parents and I during school events are stumbling through this thing, never having recited it before but I guess we were supposed to pretend we've done this all of our lives. In 2007 they added "one state under God". "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible." Which just sounds like word babble to me.
Interesting on the Texas flag part.

As a kid in OH, I did it every day.
My kids do it every day in bear country NJ. Red county in a blue state.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 AM

Location: Close to Pittsburgh, but NOT Pittsburgh ('cause I don't pay CoP taxes)
243 posts, read 172,934 times
Is there anything goofier than a "pledge" you have to repeat every day?

Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM

2,120 posts, read 1,275,298 times
Quote:
So what exactly did she accomplish?
She made herself newsworthy again for about fifteen minutes?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:05 AM

21,673 posts, read 11,138,235 times
Quote:
So what exactly did she accomplish? She basically did what Trump did. She threw a pity party because she was not getting her way. Standing up for the Pledge does not male you a patriotic American. Shaming someone into standing for the Pledge does nothing for anyone

Globalists want to get rid of symbols that represent being an American.. Bringing in people who are from other countries have no ties to this country.. The dems also are brainwashing Americans to hate this country.

Then you have the best generations dying off now. This means this country is definitely headed for a one party totalitarian power that is in the democrat party. They will completely control every person living here and there will be no more American citizenship. Everyone on the planet will be a global citizen. Many control sources are working together , some unknowingly to bring about this transformation . The MSM has been taken over , the democrat party has been taken over, and part of the Republican party has been taken over. When global citizens have more rights that the actual citizens this is a big sign this is happening.. those illegals will vote dem as they are bought off with tax dollars. This country will go bankrupt and their will be no middle class. We are definitely headed there now. Trump has a fight like no other in history. God help us defeat the globalists.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,342,601 times
I do not have a problem with people skipping oaths, prayers and the like- but my personal preference is always that they do so respectfully. If this person quietly took pause while others pledged I see no problem. Someone who loses their mind over someone else's decisions would be the one annoying the **** out of me.

Why there are only three people on Earth with the mental capacity to ask 'Sally, why are you leery of the Pledge?' before spouting off continues to baffle me. I've always said the Pledge/felt the US was a great nation but have never needed to pretend it was perfect to validate my self being.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:41 AM

12,039 posts, read 16,783,404 times
What a bunch of horsepucky.

What is respectable about repeating a pledge (something I take very seriously) before you're old enough to know what a pledge or allegiance means? It's nationalism theater, not something real or meaningful. If you can recite it by rote and don't think about each word you're saying (as most elementary and middle schoolers do) then it's rendered meaningless.

Not sure why an actress whose biggest claim to fame was being recast in the early 90s has any relevance here.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 AM

14,740 posts, read 10,639,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What's funny to me is reading her response, that she also stands and pledges when in any other country as well, out of respect. Now I'm not saying it's wrong to be polite and respect a moment at an event while overseas. But Kristy, sweetheart, do you not understand a pledge? Also, just throwing this out there, Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, do not pledge allegiance to the flag. It's considered idolatry.
First, reread the article. She said she stands for their anthems, no mention was made of pledges. They are not the same thing. It is respectful to stand for other nation’s anthems.

Second, through the years I had many Jehovah Witnesses. They ALL stood during the pleadge, not because I made them, but because that was what they did. They had no problem standing, and based on what a couple told me were told by parents/church to do otherwise was disrespectful of the school, they just didn’t place their hand over their heart or say the pledge.

Third, that teacher needs to stand. The teacher doesn’t have to say the pledge, the teacher certainly doesn’t have put their hand over their heart, but they are being disrespectful of their students who do feel it’s important to say the pledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or