U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:14 PM

35,510 posts, read 10,519,191 times

Advertisements

The only thing I know about her is that she had an affair with her current husband while his then-wife was pregnant with their chilld.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 PM

535 posts, read 472,497 times
I wish people would get as fired up about this teacher's first amendment rights as they do about her disrespect of the magic skycloth.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 PM

2,119 posts, read 1,273,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Third, that teacher needs to stand. The teacher doesn’t have to say the pledge, the teacher certainly doesn’t have put their hand over their heart, but they are being disrespectful of their students who do feel it’s important to say the pledge.
No, the teacher does not need to stand.

Nor is the teacher being 'disrespectful' of their students.

The students can get a jump on learning an early life lesson about somebody having a different opinion and expressing it quietly.

And Ms. Swanson could stand to learn that lesson as well.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 AM

4,531 posts, read 891,849 times
Remember, Kaepernick: take a knee outside of your working hours!

Old 06-12-2019, 01:59 AM

9,260 posts, read 10,915,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I refuse to say the Pledge because I'm not Christian and I don't believe in it. I'm surprised the extreme hypocrisy of the right wing hasn't left them in a state of perpetual confusion.
I stand and say the Pledge. Always have. But that's MY thing. Whether other people do or do not is not any of my business.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 AM

9,260 posts, read 10,915,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, she didn't. Try reading it again.

Personally I stood and did not recite the pledge as a middle ground of showing respect for flag and country while not reciting a pledge that I do not in good faith agree with. It really doesn't bug me if someone doesn't stand. I'd rather have people not stand than stand and say things they don't agree with because of some forced collectivist identity.
I read it again. You and others who pointed out my mistake regarding Kristy Swanson are correct. Mea culpa.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:32 AM

36,941 posts, read 16,111,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So what exactly did she accomplish? She basically did what Trump did. She threw a pity party because she was not getting her way. Standing up for the Pledge does not male you a patriotic American. Shaming someone into standing for the Pledge does nothing for anyone
"So what exactly did she accomplish?"

She exposed the unpatriotic teacher, and disrespect for our country is what she accomplished.
Funny all the complaints from the left about how Trump "doesn't follow, Etiquette, established practices and protocol etc., yet you don't like it when a lefty is exposed for dong the same thing.

Many on the left are hypocrites to the core. "Do as I SAY, NOT as I DO!"

"U.S. Flag, Pledge of Allegiance, and National Anthem Etiquette"

"1. When pledging allegiance to the flag, follow the manners of participating in the National Anthem listed .(2. As citizens, our US Federal Statute (36 U.S. Code ß 301 – National anthem)) says we should face the flag (or face toward the music if there is no flag) and stand at attention with the right hand over the heart. If the music is prerecorded, look straight ahead.2. Say the Pledge out loud with the rest of those gathered.
3. Look at the flag as the Pledge is said, and don’t forget to put your right hand over your heart.

Schools teach not only the 3 R's but, RESPECT and patriotism for our country. I wouldn't be surprised you are OK with sex Ed in kindergarten.

It looks like you DON'T want these things taught. WHY?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Other countries don't pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth.
"to a piece of cloth"

The mere fact that you refer it to just a " to a piece of cloth" tell me all I need to know about you!.

Looks alike ANOTHER lib who failed Civics 101!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I worked in public schools as a TA and was asked to sign a pledge of allegiance to the US Constitution, AND the State Constitution. What? Why the State? I have no religious objection and the US is fine with me, but I refused to pledge allegiance to any individual State. Not free to move from one state for another? I've lived and worked in three different states.

Principal just laughed when I refused. "You aren't the first and won't be the last to refuse to pledge allegiance to this State".
"as a TA"

Thank GOD you weren't able to have the position to push your idiotic beliefs on any of my children.

"AND the State Constitution" "but I refused to pledge allegiance to any individual State." "Not free to move from one state for another?"

Are you so ignorant of facts that you believe you would NOT be allowed to another state if you wished?

You "pledge allegiance" to the state YOU ARE CURRENTLY IN. Duh!

No wonder so many of out kids are so STUPID and why so many teachers no longer get the admiration they used to get!

Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 AM

27,341 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
First, reread the article. She said she stands for their anthems, no mention was made of pledges. They are not the same thing. It is respectful to stand for other nationís anthems.

Second, through the years I had many Jehovah Witnesses. They ALL stood during the pleadge, not because I made them, but because that was what they did. They had no problem standing, and based on what a couple told me were told by parents/church to do otherwise was disrespectful of the school, they just didnít place their hand over their heart or say the pledge.

Third, that teacher needs to stand. The teacher doesnít have to say the pledge, the teacher certainly doesnít have put their hand over their heart, but they are being disrespectful of their students who do feel itís important to say the pledge.
I've gone to hockey games for 25 years. Seen all but one NHL team (the Wild) and you know for a while Americans booed the Canadian national anthem and Canadians booed the American national anthem. So much so they had a video before the anthems to show respect to the anthems. Every once in a while you still have some American Idiot boo the Canadian anthem or won't stand for it.

The other thing that I have a problem with the anthem debate is how many of those who complain about the "kneelers" are likely American Idiots. What I mean by that also break the code of the anthem or the flag but only calls you outif you don't stand or kneel during it. I can't tell you how many American Idiots I see fly flags off their trucks, even in the rain. As a former Boy Scout and an Eagle Scout with silver palm as signed by George W. Bush, I know you shouldn't even fly flags in the rain. Also little known fact, during the Anthem, unless you sing along, you shouldn't be doing anything during it (Well except maybe the bathroom I'd you were already in.) No cat calls, no whistling, no cheering the high notes. Yet American Idiots do this.

I have no doubt that this Kristy Swanson who is an OK actress (her Buffy sucked) is yet another American Idiot. Yes I'm stealing an idea from a Green Day song and album, but it is a good description of "modern day patriotism."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or