U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 PM

17,249 posts, read 10,169,578 times

Advertisements

Good for her!

While people can do what they like, it also means people are free to call them out too, goes both ways.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kris...154840747.html

Quote:
Kristy Swanson, star of the 1992 film Buffy the Vampire Slayer, is back in the news thanks to her participation in a pro-Trump production focusing on the texts between two former FBI agents investigating the president for collusion. But the conservative actress took a break from rehearsals for FBI Lovebirds: UnderCovers to vent about a teacher at her sonís school whom she claims refuses to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 11:53 PM
Status: "serving a suspended sentence for not being a right winger" (set 20 days ago)

7,329 posts, read 4,446,277 times
So what exactly did she accomplish? She basically did what Trump did. She threw a pity party because she was not getting her way. Standing up for the Pledge does not male you a patriotic American. Shaming someone into standing for the Pledge does nothing for anyone

Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 AM

3,313 posts, read 1,316,393 times
Stand, sit kneel... IDGAF because each means something to the person making that particular statement. Minding one's business and stop acting like a fascist statist because someone else is doing or not doing something you "don't like", if that something is not encroaching upon the rights or property of another, now THAT is something IGAF about. Just because someone is not behaving according to YOUR will, beliefs, morality or dictates if their action or inaction does not encroach upon the rights or property of another, that's YOUR problem and you need to get over yourself. I don't care if the statism is from the left or the right, statism is evil. If a person is not encroaching upon the rights or property of another, no one should have ANY say in that action or inaction... otherwise LIBERTY is dead.

But then again, that's just MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 AM

4,810 posts, read 2,567,327 times
Is this the same Kristy Swanson who was arrested for a cocaine overdose in 1988, the one who plead no contest for DWI in 2000 or the same one who was charged with assault in 2007?

Truly a role model for truth, justice and the American way, but I guess in terms of Trumpian morality it's just a little transgression to be overlooked.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 AM

9,250 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So what exactly did she accomplish? She basically did what Trump did. She threw a pity party because she was not getting her way. Standing up for the Pledge does not male you a patriotic American. Shaming someone into standing for the Pledge does nothing for anyone
What's funny to me is reading her response, that she also stands and pledges when in any other country as well, out of respect. Now I'm not saying it's wrong to be polite and respect a moment at an event while overseas. But Kristy, sweetheart, do you not understand a pledge? Also, just throwing this out there, Jehovah's Witnesses, for example, do not pledge allegiance to the flag. It's considered idolatry.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,748,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What's funny to me is reading her response, that she also stands and pledges when in any other country as well, out of respect.
Other countries don't pledge allegiance to a piece of cloth.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:35 AM

9,250 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
We in the USA are funny that way, huh? And we like to add rules to it. When my kid was in grade school here in Texas they added the pledge to the Texas flag. I'm a fifth generation Texan and had never recited that pledge in my entire life, never heard it. "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible." So, other parents and I during school events are stumbling through this thing, never having recited it before but I guess we were supposed to pretend we've done this all of our lives. In 2007 they added "one state under God". "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible." Which just sounds like word babble to me.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 5,425,236 times
And the obsession with actors (does she still act?) continues....

Old 06-11-2019, 04:59 AM

10,067 posts, read 6,309,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I'm not so sure about pledges, but their sure is a lot of national pride. My only real experience with other countries is at international sporting events (World Cup and other tournaments). Everybody stands for each other's anthems, it would be really rude not to.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:14 AM

6,344 posts, read 3,573,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
We in the USA are funny that way, huh? And we like to add rules to it. When my kid was in grade school here in Texas they added the pledge to the Texas flag. I'm a fifth generation Texan and had never recited that pledge in my entire life, never heard it. "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible." So, other parents and I during school events are stumbling through this thing, never having recited it before but I guess we were supposed to pretend we've done this all of our lives. In 2007 they added "one state under God". "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible." Which just sounds like word babble to me.
I worked in public schools as a TA and was asked to sign a pledge of allegiance to the US Constitution, AND the State Constitution. What? Why the State? I have no religious objection and the US is fine with me, but I refused to pledge allegiance to any individual State. Not free to move from one state for another? I've lived and worked in three different states.

Principal just laughed when I refused. "You aren't the first and won't be the last to refuse to pledge allegiance to this State".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or