U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 04:00 PM

9,515 posts, read 2,339,655 times

Advertisements

What A Horrible Decision Promoting A Woman To Command The US Army Infantry

I am having a hard time understanding the problem here ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM

5,769 posts, read 2,332,095 times
I have nothing against this. In combat roles the limitations are physical for women. Not mental.

I daresay women just might be better at it.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:09 PM

19,953 posts, read 14,260,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Last I looked, there was no more Corps Artillery.
Sure there is. Granted, under the modular force concept they've been relegated to ARNG or Reserve status, but they can be activated, if needed.

Quote:
Your training is obviously vastly out of date and just pure wrong.
You mean my "PC & Sensitivity Training?" Yeah, I'll grant you that.

Quote:
First, there is a reason a division commander has a staff. They are present to assist with elements of the force. A division commander does not formulate a plan within a vacuum.
How could she possibly know whom to select for her staff? I'm sure someone could hand-pick a staff for her, so that she appears to be effective.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 PM

4,605 posts, read 903,785 times
Many accomplishments in many fields for many people who are not straight White and cisgender men should have been accomplished decades ago.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 PM

18,308 posts, read 8,252,607 times
I don't think this discussion turned out the way the OP was hoping it would...

Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 PM

18,308 posts, read 8,252,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sure there is. Granted, under the modular force concept they've been relegated to ARNG or Reserve status, but they can be activated, if needed.

You mean my "PC & Sensitivity Training?" Yeah, I'll grant you that.

How could she possibly know whom to select for her staff? I'm sure someone could hand-pick a staff for her, so that she appears to be effective.
Why do you think she has been deaf, dumb, and blind throughout her career? You seem to think she must need to invent it all from scratch, that she has made no friends, has no allies, and certainly no mentors.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:38 AM

33,373 posts, read 20,152,781 times
Quote:
Because it's 2019, not 1919. Women have shown themselves fully capable of leadership on the battlefield.

Actually, a NG division can command battle space. The 36th out of Texas has done it. As have others.
I don't mean to be difficult, I just want to learn something new. You seem to be a person who is experienced, so I have two questions.

< First thing first, I have NO problems that she is a woman. Yes, you are right, a woman is more than capable to command as long as she is qualified. So my issue (maybe I should say question) has nothing to do with her gender >

Question number 1

On her uniform, she has a Medical Badge, an Aviator badge and assigned to the Medical Command,
which tells me she was a Medical Air Ambulance pilot.No problem with that but I don't see any combat unit badge or line officer patch or badge.

So is she more suitable to be in-charge of a Medical Division ? Her experience seems to be in medical.

Question number 2

It seems to me that, The logic behind putting her in charge of an infantry unit is akin to having a grunt go take over an aviation unit. Seems a bit odd. No?

I don't mean to be rude, like I said, I just am here to learn something new and apologize in advance if I had said anything offensive.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 06-13-2019 at 12:48 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 12:49 AM

50,757 posts, read 26,780,454 times
Meh, a woman can be an Infantry Div commander. It ainít like sheís ground pounding herself. Her brigade and battalion commanders handle the dirty work anyway. Most grunts donít even see the Division Commander unless youíre in a Division run or a change of command ceremony. Div commanders are shadowy figures for the most part.

Iím a former grunt myself, and it was unthinkable to have a female anywhere in our chain of command back then, but times have changed. If she were a platoon leader or company commander, Iíd have more questions. But at the Division or Corps level, itís not even noticeable in the life of a soldier.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 11,660,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't mean to be difficult, I just want to learn something new. You seem to be a person who is experienced, so I have two questions.

< First thing first, I have NO problems that she is a woman. Yes, you are right, a woman is more than capable to command as long as she is qualified. So my issue (maybe I should say question) has nothing to do with her gender >

Question number 1

On her uniform, she has a Medical Badge, an Aviator badge and assigned to the Medical Command,
which tells me she was a Medical Air Ambulance pilot.No problem with that but I don't see any combat unit badge or line officer patch or badge.

So is she more suitable to be in-charge of a Medical Division ? Her experience seems to be in medical.

Question number 2

It seems to me that, The logic behind putting her in charge of an infantry unit is akin to having a grunt go take over an aviation unit. Seems a bit odd. No?

I don't mean to be rude, like I said, I just am here to learn something new and apologize in advance if I had said anything offensive.

Well. at the level of command she is at (a star ain't no Twinky thing) her ability to lead various different outfits shouldn't be in question. I have to admit that a ROTC commission doesn't hold the same weight for me as academy or OCS (unfortunately mustang officers are a thing of the past) but at her level she is not operating on the ground.

In a combat situation happening live she would not be calling the shots on troop maneuvers, placement of reinforcements, and things of that nature. She may approve such things in the end and have responsibility for the results but a full bird down to a Captain would be the one requesting where and how to deploy them. Besides, I'm sure that she has training and education in both conventional and asymmetrical combat tactics and is intelligent enough to listen to her unit commanders.

I don't think she is going to be picking her staff and will be working with the people who have been there. I highly doubt she will be bringing a horde of medical or aviation types over with her. And as far as command at division level of a medical unit, she has no medical degree as a doctor. Medical is a different world. More akin to running a huge hospital in which case I would indeed doubt her ability with a combat force.

I believe she will do fine, BUT with that said I don't know a lot of particulars here.Military command at this level can indeed have a lot of politics involved and I have no idea what such things might be in play. I guess we'll find out as time goes by.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM

8,639 posts, read 8,542,329 times
Is she married? What happens when her SO says make me a samich!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or