U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 AM

458 posts, read 126,783 times

Advertisements

What does a helicopter pilot know about infantry service? This is nothing more than PC gone amok and it’s going to hurt our Military capability down the road.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1st-woman...150916046.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:07 AM

14,729 posts, read 10,622,245 times
Officers from combat arms branches, which Aviation is one, are considered qualified to be Division Commanders. She is currently the commander of a Joint Task Force, she’s got the prerequisite leadership qualifications.

It is a guard unit, by the way, one unlikely to be activated. Guard units are controlled by the state, FYI.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
There is a reason that general officers no longer where a branch insignia in the US Army. I would be more worried about an infantry platoon leader keeping up. With so few women able to qualify in that role I would prioritize them to the special operations forces.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:15 AM

2,468 posts, read 861,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
What does a helicopter pilot know about infantry service? This is nothing more than PC gone amok and it’s going to hurt our Military capability down the road.

Helicopter pilot? "Yeager deployed to Iraq in 2011 as deputy commander of the Cal Guard's 40th Combat Aviation Brigade, then served as a battalion and brigade commander."

If she were a man I'm sure you would not be questioning her qualifications.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Helicopter pilot? "Yeager deployed to Iraq in 2011 as deputy commander of the Cal Guard's 40th Combat Aviation Brigade, then served as a battalion and brigade commander."

If she were a man I'm sure you would not be questioning her qualifications.
This. Of course, the announcement of the assumption of command wouldn’t be spotlighted on a news website with a national platform, either. Generally, these only hit base newspapers and The Army Times. Some get published in the local newspaper of the base or in the hometown news media of the commander, depending on the size of the community the paper/local news serves, which means probably not news media serving LA.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:34 AM

3,148 posts, read 1,795,310 times
Quote:
What does a helicopter pilot know about infantry service?
Because it's 2019, not 1919. Women have shown themselves fully capable of leadership on the battlefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Officers from combat arms branches, which Aviation is one, are considered qualified to be Division Commanders. She is currently the commander of a Joint Task Force, she’s got the prerequisite leadership qualifications.

It is a guard unit, by the way, one unlikely to be activated. Guard units are controlled by the state, FYI.
Actually, a NG division can command battle space. The 36th out of Texas has done it. As have others.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 28 days ago)

58,180 posts, read 40,973,781 times
Quote:

Have any facts other than gender supporting your opinion?

Old 06-11-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Because it's 2019, not 1919. Women have shown themselves fully capable of leadership on the battlefield.

Actually, a NG division can command battle space. The 36th out of Texas has done it. As have others.
That particular division is unlikely to be activated enmasse to fight in combat, meaning while it is officially a combat division she is unlikely to ever lead it in combat. It would be a bad day in America if it ever happens, not because of who leads it, but because of the situation we would have to be in for it to happen. However, bits and pieces of it have and will continue to be eligible to be activated in the future, so she may be in charge of troops or units who are in combat.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,630,171 times
Well, I worked as a civilian on an Army depot for 20+ years and one of the best COs to command the place in that time was a lady. This is an ammunition depot which also includes explosive ordnance which was not her background experience but she really straightened the joint up. Big time.

This is a light bird command billet but this gal was a rising star. She went on to full bird upon leaving and now is sporting a star. She deserves it. I would have followed her into battle. A disparate command background does not disqualify an individual officer from commanding a different kind of billet.

Male or female. I worked with a few different woman officers from Captains to full birds and they were all more than capable of handling oversight of what we did and none of them came from ordnance backgrounds. The Army handles the ammunition and ordnance for all the service branches. Storage and distribution.

I think the lady in question here will do just fine.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 AM

11,683 posts, read 6,281,571 times
She'll be fine. As a general officer in the US Army, she has (or should) the leadership skills to take on this role. And, like every flag/general officer, she won't be doing what she does alone, and will have a staff of senior officers helping with the decision making process. Kudos to you, General
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or