Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:44 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,326,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Now what you said here as far as larger cities being warmer than less populated suburbs, that is true and we can see that on the local weather report every day. That's where I do believe the amount of population and human activity make a difference of a few degsF... but again, that's on a local level - not a global level.

The earth is too large and the atmosphere is too voluminous for us to put a dent in effecting the climate on a global scale.

Water covers over 70% of the earth's surface. Water vapor plays much more of a factor in temperature and climate than anything we do.

It’s Water Vapor, Not the CO2
Water vapor holds in heat too...a lot of it...but for one thing, each individual molecule of C02 and Methane hold more heat than an individual H20 molecule.

For another thing...if you have 2 things that increase temperature, and you're increasing one but not the other...it still increases temperature. Just because much of Earth's temperature is controlled by humidity doesn't mean increasing C02 won't increase it as well. In fact, higher temperatures on Earth caused by increased C02 may create a feedback loop where the increased heat creates more water vapor. Hopefully that will be reduced somewhat by increased cloud cover which I've read reflect sunlight away. I'm not sure about how much they do that though.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:47 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,326,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You were gone for 11 minutes.
If you have no real answer you should just admit it.
I'm pretty sure I have a real answer to your comments. I just need to look it up. I don't have time for that right now...only easy responses. I'll also respond to your comment about the mini-ice age. I know I've seen an explanation for that, although it might take some time to understand it well. I might look into where the sources for my information came from too.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

19,657 posts, read 9,967,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:

1. That GMO foods are not safe

2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism

3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather

4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial

6. Fluoridation of water is harmful

7. in the existence of ghosts

8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets
Fish oil lowered my cholesterol 30 points in three months. Even the ADA says that fluoride is bad for infants and the elderly. And I don't believe in AGW.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:52 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,749,400 times
Quote:
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:

1. That GMO foods are not safe

2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism

3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather

4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial

6. Fluoridation of water is harmful

7. in the existence of ghosts

8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets
You forgot the true answers is 9. All the above

Old 06-11-2019, 01:54 PM

662 posts, read 310,284 times
Quote:
I know this is basic - but what is the primary means by which humans warm the planet? It is because of our mere existence and exhaling CO2? Is it through the things we create and the energy used? Or both?

If it's either one of those, it would seem as though an area packed with humans and human activity would be warmer than other areas... if humans caused warming.

If I am totally off, why don't you give me a brief overview of how humans warm the planet.

I am trying to understand how you and/or others believe humans warm the planet in real terms... not some nebulous numbers that are far from reality.

Dust from the Sahara Desert in Africa travels in the wind and lower atmosphere as far as southern Texas.

https://weather.com/science/weather-...gulf-of-mexico

Greenhouse gases are lighter than dust and don't just hang out where they are released. They go up into the atmosphere and become part of it. Just like if you pour a bucket of water in the ocean, the molecules of water don't just stay right where you poured them, they disperse into the ocean as the currents move it around and mix it up. Greenhouse gases don't just sit over a city. They are dispersed by the wind and jet stream.

Last edited by SFit; 06-11-2019 at 02:03 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 02:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,373,172 times
Wonder how much GW accounts for the Arizona heat.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,081,852 times
Quote:
I don't believe in creationism (although a Christian).

My views regarding "science" are very consistent and coincide with what the rational scientific evidence shows.

Thus, I do not believe in any of the things I listed, nor do I believe in AGW.

The point is that most of the AGW crowd, who claim to be strict followers of "science", are exactly the opposite, as reflected in their other views. Those who actually believe in rational science do not parse or relegate their beliefs to believe in scientific evidence, then ignore it in other areas. Thus "the point" is that AGW believers actually do not believe in "science" and their views in other aspects of their lives support this contention.
You do realize that the vast majority of citizens, regardless of political affiliation, from developed countries acknowledge humans' role in the exacerbation of climate change, right? It's really only in the US that a sizable population denies it or waves it off.

And yet most of them aren't anti-vaxxers or subscribers to the chemtrails conspiracy. Few people actually believe in homeopathy. In fact, the most prominent voices of these things come from the US (by far the most right wing among developed nations), and frequently from the fringe religious right (as well as the fringe hippie left).

Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM

33,495 posts, read 36,983,135 times
Quote:
Now what you said here as far as larger cities being warmer than less populated suburbs, that is true and we can see that on the local weather report every day. That's where I do believe the amount of population and human activity make a difference of a few degsF... but again, that's on a local level - not a global level.

The earth is too large and the atmosphere is too voluminous for us to put a dent in effecting the climate on a global scale.

Water covers over 70% of the earth's surface. Water vapor plays much more of a factor in temperature and climate than anything we do.

It’s Water Vapor, Not the CO2
Lol...That site does not say what you think it does....Thanks for posting it.

Quote:
Water vapor does not control the Earth’s temperature, but is instead controlled by the temperature.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM

45,271 posts, read 26,780,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Dust from the Sahara Desert in Africa travels in the wind and lower atmosphere as far as southern Texas.

https://weather.com/science/weather-...gulf-of-mexico

Greenhouse gases are lighter than dust and don't just hang out where they are released. They go up into the atmosphere and become part of it. Just like if you pour a bucket of water in the ocean, the molecules of water don't just stay right where you poured them, they disperse into the ocean as the currents move it around and mix it up. Greenhouse gases don't just sit over a city. They are dispersed by the wind and jet stream.
Some gases are subject to absorption as well.

I don't disagree that greenhouse gases move about the earth. If the wind/jet stream is blowing them around the earth - how are they able to insulate the heat radiated from earth?

Old 06-11-2019, 03:16 PM

45,271 posts, read 26,780,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Lol...That site does not say what you think it does....Thanks for posting it.
I understand that. Guess what it also doesn't say - human activity controls the temperature.

Water vapor is subject to the temperature set by the sun. Warm temps increase evaporation. When the evaporated water vapor interact with the cool upper atmosphere, we get clouds, which in tune blocks heat from the sun and cools the earth and causes precipitation, which brings the water back down to the earth.

But I do give you credit for at least reading the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies