Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:34 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You do realize that the vast majority of citizens, regardless of political affiliation, from developed countries acknowledge humans' role in the exacerbation of climate change, right? It's really only in the US that a sizable population denies it or waves it off.

And yet most of them aren't anti-vaxxers or subscribers to the chemtrails conspiracy. Few people actually believe in homeopathy. In fact, the most prominent voices of these things come from the US (by far the most right wing among developed nations), and frequently from the fringe religious right (as well as the fringe hippie left).

"Most people" believed in blood letting, cathartics, and insufflating smoke in the rectum to cure ailments. In addition, mercury was a common "cure" for a variety of illnesses. That's what "most people" believed. Do you believe in those things now?

MOST scientists doe not agree with CO2 induced global warming- that is a fact. You say that "most people" agree with man made CO2. That makes no difference whatsoever, as a majority of people believe in many ridiculous things- AGW is just one of them.

Look at the list again. MOST liberals are anti-vaxers, believe in homeopathic medicines, believe GMOs are dangerous, and believe in luck, astrology, and ghosts.

It is entirely consistent that people who believe in nonsense will buy into the AGW hoax as well. While those who believe in objective science will believe in none of that drivel.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We often hear from the AGW crowd that they "believe in science". "Minds that understand science" are sometimes very selective in choosing what scientific information they choose to believe or dismiss, yet contend that they are fully wed to the scientific method and the veracity of scientific data.

I wonder how many supporters of AGW believe:

1. That GMO foods are not safe

2. That vaccinations are harmful and cause autism

3. That chemtrails are intentionally created to alter weather

4. In using homeopathic or naturopathic medical treatments

5. Use fish oil or "supplements" is beneficial

6. Fluoridation of water is harmful

7. in the existence of ghosts

8. That the earth has (or is) visited by aliens from other planets
AGW isn't something I support - it's something I accept the evidence for.

As for your list, I don't think any of those propositions has solid evidence.

And I will note that it isn't just liberals who believe in the items on your list. Alex Jones, and a number of his followers right here in this forum believe in a number of those items.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,039 times
Quote:
"Most people" believed in blood letting, cathartics, and insufflating smoke in the rectum to cure ailments. In addition, mercury was a common "cure" for a variety of illnesses. That's what "most people" believed. Do you believe in those things now?

MOST scientists doe not agree with CO2 induced global warming- that is a fact. You say that "most people" agree with man made CO2. That makes no difference whatsoever, as a majority of people believe in many ridiculous things- AGW is just one of them.

Look at the list again. MOST liberals are anti-vaxers, believe in homeopathic medicines, believe GMOs are dangerous, and believe in luck, astrology, and ghosts.

It is entirely consistent that people who believe in nonsense will buy into the AGW hoax as well. While those who believe in objective science will believe in none of that drivel.
When you say “most people”, what you are really describing are the common practices of the Physicians of the time, and not “most people” who were at the mercy of these “Scholars” when they received medical care.

Doesn’t say much for you and your ilk does it “Doc”?

Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
The premise is assuming a false equivalence.

Believing in science is very different than believing conspiracy theories.

Not even close.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:39 PM

662 posts, read 313,195 times
Quote:
Wrong. Most liberals are not anti-vaxers, neither are most conservatives. The more extreme a person's political views, regardless of left or right, the more likely the person is anti-vaxer.

https://theconversation.com/anti-vac...rization-81001

Liberals may be more likely to believe in homeopathic medicines, but its not like most liberals are into it. Many also see it as "its worth trying and I'll go to the doctor if that doesn't work." Or they try medical solutions without success and turn to homeopathic meds after that. That said I have die hard religious right wing family members who are way more into homeopathics than anyone else I've ever met.

GMO issue is fairly evenly split between the left and right:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gn.../#.XQAoG8TQjIU

GMO's also have a different issue. Some don't see them as unsafe to eat, but question the need and potential unforseen consequences. I don't believe GMO foods will make me sick, give me cancer, etc. But I prefer to stick with foods that have been around for a lot longer. Foods that are genetically modified are typically modified to simply increase output for more profitability, not because the food is healthier. The most widely used GMO foods are basically a form of welfare food since our government pays boatloads of money to subsidize them which makes them cheaper. Seems conservatives would be against government subsidized meals and snacks.

Even though most liberals don't believe in astrology, more liberals probably believe in astrology because liberals are less likely to be religious. Conservatives are less likely to believe in astrology because they believe its the work of an invisible devil who is trying to trick them into giving up their soul.

I've never run across someone who says they don't believe in luck. And its not like I pray to luck, watch it fail, and keep believing that praying to luck will help. Thats what religion is for.

Ghosts? Right wing evangelicals believe a dead man came back to life and hung out with some apostles for a few days and that we should base our nation on him.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:48 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
When you say “most people”, what you are really describing are the common practices of the Physicians of the time, and not “most people” who were at the mercy of these “Scholars” when they received medical care.

Doesn’t say much for you and your ilk does it “Doc”?

The history of medicine is not a pretty one. Until the advent of the Flexner Report and more formalized medical education, quackery was rampant in the administration of healthcare in the US. Not until about 1910 forward was there objective science and training applied to medicine. Harvey Cushing and Walter Dandy were just beginning the basis of neurosurgery in America, which had been essentially non-existent.

I cannot bear responsibility for things that happened before I was born. I assure you that medical training has improved considerably, even from the time I trained in the 80s. My daughter is in med school now and from what she describes, they have addressed many of the problems from when I trained. Unfortunately, reduced hours and electronic medical records has hampered the benefits of many of those advances. When I trained, MRIs were brand new. Aids had just been recognized. We had only two pulse oximeters and three automatic blood pressure cuffs for 26 operating rooms. Laparoscopic procedures were new and lithotripsy for kidney stones was just starting.

However, adhering to the principles of science, advances have been made. That is why it is so disappointing to see mankind taking a huge step backward with the AGW farce- vacating the valid principles of science for emotion and political gain.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:57 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Some gases are subject to absorption as well.

I don't disagree that greenhouse gases move about the earth. If the wind/jet stream is blowing them around the earth - how are they able to insulate the heat radiated from earth?
Okay...I'm back...later than I said I'd be.

So, here's what leads me to believe humans are causing a noteworthy percentage of global warming:

#1. NASA says it's happening. They are a respectably organization. Therefore, I figure I have a responsibility to either blindly accept whatever they say, or remain neutral until I've researched something that gives me reason to distrust their findings. I've therefore been more wary of climate-change skeptic arguments...taking time to research arguments pointing out their flaws, whereas with arguments for why humans are likely causing climate change, it's generally sufficient to me to just find multiple large, seemingly respectable organizations coming to similar conclusions.

#2. Skepticalscience.com Their arguments section, here, https://skepticalscience.com/argument.php has 197 arguments made by climate change skeptics and counters to those arguments. I've found many of these arguments to be unsatisfactory in terms of not explaining things as fully as I'd have preferred, or in ways I don't understand...but they usually contain keywords that I can use to do further research, as well as links to other useful sources. If you want to do your own research, this is a wonderful source due to so much information being contained in one spot.

#3. So...finally getting around to your specific statement, if you have a bathtub of cold water, and you keep adding hot water into it, that hot water disperses throughout the bathtub. I'm thinking that's how greenhouse gasses work. They'll spread out, but they'll still be here, so they'll accumulate. I had to look up this link to understand why atmospheric gases don't just all float into space. I found it useful: https://www.quora.com/Why-wouldnt-Ea...ape-into-space

I didn't do any of the math there. I just kind of assume it's correct...but in a bathtub, we tend to see the whole bathtub getting hotter. Though, to some degree, if you put the cold water in first the bottom will remain cooler...but eventually that heat is going to spread downwards too, if you put enough hot water in or wait long enough. You can speed up that process by mixing the water. Gases are considerably lighter than water, and tend to disperse and spread and mix more easily, as does heat that moves through them.

They'll still be in the atmosphere of Earth though, most of the time, usually floating around because the higher they go up, the colder Earth's atmosphere becomes, and the more likely cool off, lose energy, and gravity will pull them down again. The more chemicals are in Earth's atmosphere, the more chance there is that they'll end up somewhere that reflects heat down onto a thermometer, other temperature-detecting device, or a human city. Some of them will escape into space. From what I've read most of it won't though.

The two gases that most concern people who study global warming are methane and C02. Methane decays in the atmosphere after a few years, but it holds more heat on Earth before it goes. C02 remains in the atmosphere for much longer. Methane from human activities is often produced by livestock, such as cows. C02 produced by human activities is often produced by the burning of fossil fuels.

When energy comes from the Sun to Earth, some of it is reflected back into space. Some of it is absorbed by Earth's surface. This is later re-emitted as infrared radiation which can carry heat through empty space. I got that data from here: https://www.answers.com/Q/How_is_Car...greenhouse_gas

C02, and many atmospheric gases, tend to let sunlight pass through it. C02 to, however, tends to re-absorb the infrared radiation heading back towards space from the Earth's surface and reflect some of it back to Earth. Methane, I assume, works similarly: https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/..._at_the_earth/

Water vapor is also an important greenhouse gas, helping to hold in heat...but most of that only increases in the atmosphere after something else already increased heat further to evaporate more of it, so C02 and Methane are what people are concerned about.

C02 increases in the atmosphere due to increased temperatures too though...through ocean outgassing. The warmer the ocean gets, the more C02 emerges from it into the atmosphere. That's believed to be part of past climate changes in interglacial periods, like the last interglacial period, the Eemian, an interglacial period that began about 130,000 years ago. These interglacial and following glacial periods occur cyclically, taking tens of thousands of years for the full round to complete. It's thought...though I've never understood this well...that changes in the Earths position, known as Milankovitch cycles, cause temperature changes on Earth due to certain parts of it getting more sunlight for longer...or something like that. I don't get it. What I do get though, is that, in the beginning of interglacial periods temperature rises. Following this is a C02 rise due to oceans outgassing C02, and then the temperature continues to rise for a time, and C02 continues to increase as a kind of feedback loop. What I've not been able to understand...is why temperature falls again. Maybe I could figure that out with more research.

People say that the fact that, in past interglacial periods, temperature rose before there were C02 increases, means that C02 doesn't cause global warming. That's not true though, because I think the thought is that temperature and C02 function more like a feedback loop, with heat increasing temperature and temperature increasing C02 output. Some factors that probably have something to do with interglacial periods eventually ending, and Earth's temperature cooling again, are factors like...I assume warmer, more humid temperatures would be better for plant growth, and more plants absorb more C02. I haven't looked into this much. I'm not sure there is firm knowledge about why interglacial periods end.

But moving on from that...

*There has been no upward, long term trend, in the sun's energy output since the 1970s. This data comes from NASA: https://climate.nasa.gov/faq/14/is-t...lobal-warming/

However, Earth's average global temperature is still rising. This can be found by looking for the highest temperatures on record. You'll find that most of the higher ones have occurred recently. This can also be found by just looking for various sources that it's rising. They're all over the place. Feel free to verify their findings yourself. I've just kind of seen enough of them from seemingly worthy sources that that's good enough for me.

*Any form of Earth warming that doesn't stem from the Sun is pretty miniscule, and local. For Earth to warm, it's always going to have something to do with either getting more energy from the sun, or more heat energy from the sun being prevented from reflecting back into space, or less energy from the sun being reflected back into space initially, or something to do with getting more solar energy or keeping it here better. C02 and Methane increases do that. Water vapor does that too, but again, that doesn't increase much unless warmer temperatures caused by something else are already happening.

*According to NASA, since 1958 C02 in the atmosphere has increased by 24%. I haven't bothered to look up how they arrived at this conclusion yet...but now you know what to look up if you want to: https://climate.nasa.gov/400ppmquotes/

*Natural forces on Earth can produce C02, such as volcanoes or the aforementioned ocean outgassing of it that happens in warmer temperatures...but that ocean outgassing needs something to increase warming temperatures first. Volcanoes can pump lots of C02 into the atmosphere, but it's still considerably less than humans pump into the atmosphere. According to the United States Geological Survey:

VANCOUVER, Wash. — On average, human activities put out in just three to five days, the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide that volcanoes produce globally each year. This is one of the messages detailed in a new article "Volcanic Versus Anthropogenic Carbon Dioxide" by Terrance Gerlach of the U.S. Geological Survey appearing in this week's issue of Eos, from the American Geophysical Union.
https://archive.usgs.gov/archive/sit...p-ID=2827.html

So...so far as I've read, nobody can think of anything that would be resulting in Earth warming, except for human activities, except for stuff that need Earth to warm before it starts warming Earth. Ice caps melting could increase Earth's temperature by reflecting less heat back into space...but of course, temperatures have to rise to melt them first, or volcanic activity has to happen. Volcanic activity will often, at least over the sort term, cool the atmosphere down by pushing reflective materials high into the atmosphere...although it will increase C02 in the atmosphere too, but like I've mentioned, volcanic activity amounts to much less C02 increase than human activity.

The only reason I could understand for why Earth's temperature might be increasing as much as it is, if not for human activity, is maybe if it's some part of the Milankovitch cycle, or something I don't understand yet. I don't understand Milankovitch cycles well though. What I keep reading is that the current changes are happening too fast to be part of Milankovitch cycles. I'm not sure why yet.

But nobody seems to have a good idea for why global warming might be happening if it a noteworthy percentage of it is not caused by humans, so far as I can tell.

Also, regarding why human livestock produces more methane than other organisms...apparently cow digestive systems in particular just produce lots of methane. I found that out here: Do Cow Farts Really Significantly Contribute to Global Warming?

Some of the more common arguments I've heard for why global warming isn't caused by humans are the idea that in Earth's ancient past, there was much more C02 in the atmosphere than there is now, and that didn't lead to a Venusian state where there's global warming spiraling out of control. One factor that might have not resulted in that happening is that the sun would have been cooler. From what I understand, the sun just naturally increases luminosity with time. The time period people often talk about when they say that often is a time period a billion or more years ago. That's the type of time scale we need for the sun's decreased luminosity due to being younger to matter. That kind of natural glowing brighter with time won't affect us in our lifetimes. I found out about that somewhat here, although I'd heard about that stuff before from other sources, which I've forgotten the location of: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0918092804.htm

What I hear most concern about though, is not Earth spiraling onto a Venusian state, but rather Earth just becoming warmer to the point where icecaps are melted and we get summers that make certain areas that currently contain lots of people difficult to live in. We really don't need much hotter temperatures for areas to be survivable in, but not really habitable. We currently have places like Death Valley where temperatures have reached 130 degrees Fahrenheit. That's not a problem there...but if highly populated cities start reaching dramatically higher summer temperatures, that could cause a lot of problems.

Also, there are more long term effects and feedback loops (such as methane underneath Antarctica being released due to melting) that could have unpredictable effects...and really, even if we stopped all C02 output and Methane output from our livestock today, that'd just stop additional greenhouse gasses from being added. It would take awhile for those to leave the atmosphere, and for feedback loops like ocean outgassing, to cool Earth down again...and the way things are going, it seems like there is a solid chance humanity will increase C02 output before it decreases it. Nuclear power is an option for energy that doesn't pump greenhouse gases into the atmosphere...but that has some less-than-desirable side effects. From what I understand, the main problem with solar and wind power is that we can't store much of it for long. I know batteries can be expensive. I'm not sure how expensive though...but I know most of the country currently doesn't have much storage capacity for power for wind and solar.

I found out about a concept for storing solar energy for a few hours longer than usual here:
https://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...an-we-store-it

The big solution everybody is looking forward to, which remains on the horizon, is fusion power. They can already produce the incredibly high temperatures needed for this...it's just that right now it takes more energy to produce the fusion reaction than the energy that comes out of it. It'll take some number of decades to get to the point where it provides more energy than goes into it though...assuming it eventually happens. I hear they're getting better at it though. That could, hopefully, result in power sources that neither produce nuclear waste nor C02.

But even if we do invent usable fusion power plants, there's still a lot of existing C02 in the atmosphere, and there's still methane to deal with, and humanity's perpetually growing larger.

Old 06-14-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Climate changed many thousands of years ago and drove people from Northern Africa - once a lush forest - to the Nile Valley.
And more recently the cities along the Indus River all failed due to climate change and the population migrated East to the plains of the Ganges river system.
There were not enough people and technology on earth then to cause such a change in climate. The world is warming and the climate is shifting. Same as it always has.
Nobody denies that climate changed in the past. What's happening now though, is that C02 and methane in the atmosphere is being added in larger amounts than there was in the past. Note that, in the very ancient past, a billion or so years ago...that may have only worked out fine for the Earth because the sun naturally brightens with time: https://www.learnastronomyhq.com/art...-brighter.html

This is from Skepticalscience.com:

But consider what happens when more CO2 is released from outside of the natural carbon cycle – by burning fossil fuels. Although our output of 29 gigatons of CO2 is tiny compared to the 750 gigatons moving through the carbon cycle each year, it adds up because the land and ocean cannot absorb all of the extra CO2. About 40% of this additional CO2 is absorbed. The rest remains in the atmosphere, and as a consequence, atmospheric CO2 is at its highest level in 15 to 20 million years (Tripati 2009). (A natural change of 100ppm normally takes 5,000 to 20,000 years. The recent increase of 100ppm has taken just 120 years).
https://skepticalscience.com/human-c...-emissions.htm

Old 06-14-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
The mini ice age, which lasted from about 1300 to about 1850 was caused by what...?
Here: https://skepticalscience.com/coming-...le-ice-age.htm

So, from the link, it looks like the sun was less active during that period. I don't know how they know that yet. Oh well.

Also, volcanoes may have caused part of it. Volcanic activity seems to have been high for part of that period. volcanoes emit C02, but much of the material they emit goes high into the atmosphere and reflects sunlight away: https://www.livescience.com/18205-ic...s-sea-ice.html

Old 06-14-2019, 12:32 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,113,468 times
Most of those seems like either right wing viewpoints or shared by both in the fringes of both sides..

Go to reddit which is pretty left leaning and everyone trashes anti vaxxers flat earthers anti gmo types and homeopathic medicine types..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies