Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 09:15 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
But why do you refuse to blame mankind? People have made plenty of arguments for why you should. What are your counter arguments? You can't just say "The government says X is true, so I'm not going to believe it" if your goal is to be convincing. It's multiple governments all over the world saying "X is true." Leftists like to spend more money on government programs than the right. Nobody likes to just dump money down a hole though. They'll usually have some kind of a reason for spending money.
There's no evidence that humans cause warming on a global scale. All that's there are people saying humans cause global warming.

If humans cause warming, the New York City, which is the most densely populated city in America, should be warmer than other cities in America, but it isn't.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Another ill thought out, ill conceived thread.

2, 3, 6 are conspiracy theories found on right-wing websites.

The existence of ghosts and aliens is just a plain inane statement.

Many people take fish oil supplements, including conservatives.

Of course the piece de resistance in this thread is when the OP then contradicts his own arguments because he shows 58% of Pubs believe in creationist theory.

In another words, he shows that Pubs believe the earth is only 6000 years old. If you believe the earth is 6000 years old, then all the science in the world means nothing,

Thank you for proving the point just how anti-science conservatives are.

I don't believe in creationism (although a Christian).

My views regarding "science" are very consistent and coincide with what the rational scientific evidence shows.

Thus, I do not believe in any of the things I listed, nor do I believe in AGW.

The point is that most of the AGW crowd, who claim to be strict followers of "science", are exactly the opposite, as reflected in their other views. Those who actually believe in rational science do not parse or relegate their beliefs to believe in scientific evidence, then ignore it in other areas. Thus "the point" is that AGW believers actually do not believe in "science" and their views in other aspects of their lives support this contention.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:25 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Climate changed many thousands of years ago and drove people from Northern Africa - once a lush forest - to the Nile Valley.
And more recently the cities along the Indus River all failed due to climate change and the population migrated East to the plains of the Ganges river system.
There were not enough people and technology on earth then to cause such a change in climate. The world is warming and the climate is shifting. Same as it always has.
I'm going to come back in several hours...maybe tomorrow, after I've looked at Matadora's posts. I assume she's answered this about 12 times in a better way than I'd do it and it's jut been drowned in some thread or other. She usually does. I'll be back.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:28 AM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't believe in creationism (although a Christian).

My views regarding "science" are very consistent and coincide with what the rational scientific evidence shows.

Thus, I do not believe in any of the things I listed, nor do I believe in AGW.

The point is that most of the AGW crowd, who claim to be strict followers of "science", are exactly the opposite, as reflected in their other views. Those who actually believe in rational science do not parse or relegate their beliefs to believe in scientific evidence, then ignore it in other areas. Thus "the point" is that AGW believers actually do not believe in "science" and their views in other aspects of their lives support this contention.
Actually a more accurate point is that most of the "AGW crowd" agrees with you on the nine topics you picked out. And don't agree with you on AGW. It's your fellow right wing extremists that buy into many of the nine topics you mentioned.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense.
I know this is basic - but what is the primary means by which humans warm the planet? It is because of our mere existence and exhaling CO2? Is it through the things we create and the energy used? Or both?

If it's either one of those, it would seem as though an area packed with humans and human activity would be warmer than other areas... if humans caused warming.

If I am totally off, why don't you give me a brief overview of how humans warm the planet.

I am trying to understand how you and/or others believe humans warm the planet in real terms... not some nebulous numbers that are far from reality.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
There's no evidence that humans cause warming on a global scale. All that's there are people saying humans cause global warming.

If humans cause warming, the New York City, which is the most densely populated city in America, should be warmer than other cities in America, but it isn't.
#1. New York is a lot colder than much of the country because of it's geographical location.

#2. Those chemicals produced from industry can blow away. They don't just stick around New York forever.

#3. I see no reason to assume, much less have confidence, that temperature increases from New York industry and other human modifications would result in a high enough of a temperature increase to make New York warmer than some Arizona city.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:40 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
I will be blunt when I say the following: I do believe in global warming. What I don't know is which kinds of global warming are man-made and which are natural as I don't really study global warming.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know this is basic - but what is the primary means by which humans warm the planet? It is because of our mere existence and exhaling CO2? Is it through the things we create and the energy used? Or both?

If it's either one of those, it would seem as though an area packed with humans and human activity would be warmer than other areas... if humans caused warming.

If I am totally off, why don't you give me a brief overview of how humans warm the planet.

I am trying to understand how you and/or others believe humans warm the planet in real terms... not some nebulous numbers that are far from reality.
I'll get back to this later.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
#1. New York is a lot colder than much of the country because of it's geographical location.

#2. Those chemicals produced from industry can blow away. They don't just stick around New York forever.

#3. I see no reason to assume, much less have confidence, that temperature increases from New York industry and other human modifications would result in a high enough of a temperature increase to make New York warmer than some Arizona city.
So - why is what you said any different than what takes place everywhere else in the the world?

The sun is the main driver of the temperature. Based on NYC's geographic location on earth with respect to the sun, it's colder. In other words - human activity has virtually no effect on the climate of NYC.

Chemicals can blow away. CO2 is also absorbed by vegetation.

Your #3 makes my point. If human modifications in a highly dense populous doesn't result in a high enough temperature increase to make New York warmer... how would human modifications make the entire planet warmer, being that humans are spread out over the entire earth?

Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:

By the way - did you notice how easy it was for you to come up with this? It's because it's unfiltered common sense.

If humans caused any warming on a global scale, we would see it and feel it on a local scale first - especially in the densely populated areas. But you correctly pointed out that humans can't effect the temperature in that way.

You didn't need a scientist to figure that out. And in fact - we just did the first principle in the scientific method - observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies