U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2019, 03:28 PM
 
26,552 posts, read 19,023,480 times
Reputation: 14207

Advertisements

not yet, anyway.


Quote:
The thinking typically goes that boomers have put undue pressure on the system because of the size of their generation.

About 10,000 people turn 65 every day. Many of those individuals are claiming Social Security retirement benefits, which has created the perception that they are draining the system.

However, the Center for Retirement Research found the boomer cohort born between 1946 and 1964 will actually have paid more into the system than they will receive in benefits.

There is a group of retirees, however, who did receive more money than they contributed: people who lived through the Great Depression of the 1930s. Thatís because they generally worked for fewer years before collecting benefits.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/10/its-...-security.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Reputation: 7891
Well, I may be one of the guilty, since I was born in 1937 and I drew out more than I contributed a long time back. So, my only comment is , thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:11 PM
 
Location: SGV
24,760 posts, read 9,643,702 times
Reputation: 9715
Good for anyone who is able to get back the money that was taken from them at gunpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 06:17 PM
 
32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
Reputation: 19035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, I may be one of the guilty, since I was born in 1937 and I drew out more than I contributed a long time back. So, my only comment is , thank you.

you are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 4,589,584 times
Reputation: 5449
Many have died before they drew out much of what they paid in. What about that money?
Since I was self employed and paid in all of mine, I would have to live to 90 to get all of mine back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Jewel Lake (Sagle) Idaho
27,487 posts, read 17,618,687 times
Reputation: 15585
Thing is, virtually no one that has paid into SS for retirement will ever see a fair return for their "investment". Yes-you may get out more than you paid in....but a tiny, tiny fraction of what you'd get back if you invested the same amount in even an index fund tied to the DOW. Worse, when you die, all of your "investment" reverts to the government.

What is growing in an out-of-control manner is SSDI. The claims on disability are one of the biggest drains on the system. People can collect disability at any age, unlike "retirement" SS. They are the ones that get back more than they paid in. And far too many are receiving disability through fraud when they are capable of working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 03:44 PM
 
Location: The South
5,214 posts, read 3,628,854 times
Reputation: 7891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Thing is, virtually no one that has paid into SS for retirement will ever see a fair return for their "investment". Yes-you may get out more than you paid in....but a tiny, tiny fraction of what you'd get back if you invested the same amount in even an index fund tied to the DOW. Worse, when you die, all of your "investment" reverts to the government.

What is growing in an out-of-control manner is SSDI. The claims on disability are one of the biggest drains on the system. People can collect disability at any age, unlike "retirement" SS. They are the ones that get back more than they paid in. And far too many are receiving disability through fraud when they are capable of working.
All of what you say is true, however during the meltdown of 2008-2009 my SS didnít go down, but my index funds sure did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,411 posts, read 14,357,337 times
Reputation: 15846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many have died before they drew out much of what they paid in. What about that money?
Since I was self employed and paid in all of mine, I would have to live to 90 to get all of mine back.
I'm pretty much in the same position as you are. I was mostly self-employed too.

The thing about the tail end of the 'Greatest Generation' I've noticed is if they didn't die young, younger than the Baby Boomers, they tend to live quite long lives.

All my immediate ancestors were from that generation, and while some of them lost brothers and sisters young, actually quite a few, the ones who lived all made it well into their 80s before they began showing the signs of wearing out.

I'm 75 now, and in just the past few years, they all started dying almost as a group in their 90s. I've noticed this is true with other families I know as well.

They were the first generation to really benefit from the advances in medicine, the great rise of the middle class, and as a generation, seemed to lead more physically active lives than the generations who followed them.

I guess when all that is added up, it gave them longetivity. Over the past decade, I've watched my own generation lose more of us than they did. Many of the kids I knew in school didn't make it to 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,839 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Reputation: 6117
I don't know why I remember this but I do.

In 1976 Sixty Minutes did an expose on Social Security. They showed this old guy who was like 106 years old. He paid in one payment after Social Security was implemented and then retired. He had been cashing checks ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2019, 04:54 PM
 
9,574 posts, read 4,589,584 times
Reputation: 5449
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm pretty much in the same position as you are. I was mostly self-employed too.

The thing about the tail end of the 'Greatest Generation' I've noticed is if they didn't die young, younger than the Baby Boomers, they tend to live quite long lives.

All my immediate ancestors were from that generation, and while some of them lost brothers and sisters young, actually quite a few, the ones who lived all made it well into their 80s before they began showing the signs of wearing out.

I'm 75 now, and in just the past few years, they all started dying almost as a group in their 90s. I've noticed this is true with other families I know as well.

They were the first generation to really benefit from the advances in medicine, the great rise of the middle class, and as a generation, seemed to lead more physically active lives than the generations who followed them.

I guess when all that is added up, it gave them longetivity. Over the past decade, I've watched my own generation lose more of us than they did. Many of the kids I knew in school didn't make it to 70.
I am 71. I have lived longer than my parents and grandparents did. All my close friends are gone. The "greatest generation" that I knew, all died in their 50s and 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top