U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:02 AM

13,591 posts, read 7,422,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nice try...only problem is that I donít believe the hype. Everyone on CD is rich and lives within their means if you let them tell it. I know itís all bull.

Fact is, if 78% of Americans are living check to check and canít come up with $500 bucks, YOUíRE no exception. Youíre in the 78%...not the 22%. If I had to place a bet on it, chances are Iíd win it. I almost canít lose on that bet.

So miss me with the whole deal about trying to sound as if youíre the exception.
At least quote it correctly. 78% of workers reported they were living paycheck to paycheck. The bankrate survey you are trying to quote states 41% are able to cover an emergency with $500 cash out of savings while an additional 20% would put it on a credit card and another 20% would cut back on expenses to cover it, 11% would have to turn to family or friends for the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:20 AM

1,411 posts, read 272,453 times
Originally Posted by Originalist
This fool has a 30% approval rating. He is a one and done PM. I actually laughed when they elected him after how his father screwed Canada up. Name recognition and a new generation, just like Brown in California. Fools electing fools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Trump's approval ratings aren't that much higher than his.

Yet Trump's approval ratings are higher than Obama's was at this same time.

We all know how that turned out, right? Re-elected with a 5% margin over Romney.

The left should be worried because they have performed far worse and with much more political and personal malice over the last 2 1/2 years. Worse than even the Republicans of 2012 and that's saying something.

I know every response instantly becomes "must bash Trump somehow", but man, this is getting ridiculous.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM

21,920 posts, read 21,729,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
As we know, Trump constantly bullies and threatens - people, businesses, and even entire countries. Some people can't threaten back, some don't because they try not to stoop to his level, and some won't, because they're hoping cooler heads will prevail.

But it would have been fun if, when Trump threatened tariffs, Mexico announced that they would start running free buses to funnel Guatemala migrants directly to the U.S. southern border.
Werent they already doing that?

Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM

9,406 posts, read 7,195,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Mexico is the left's wet dream. Cheap is relative to our perspective, for the majority of Mexicans it isn't cheap because they're all dirt poor.
I dunno. We've heard a LOT of leftists proclaim over the years that if ________ happened they were moving to ______. I don't remember "Mexico" ever being in that blank.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 AM

1,524 posts, read 709,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
As we know, Trump constantly bullies and threatens - people, businesses, and even entire countries. Some people can't threaten back, some don't because they try not to stoop to his level, and some won't, because they're hoping cooler heads will prevail.

But it would have been fun if, when Trump threatened tariffs, Mexico announced that they would start running free buses to funnel Guatemala migrants directly to the U.S. southern border.
This is an incredible statement for a supposed American citizen. America haters like this turn my stomach. Pathetically disgusting.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
At least quote it correctly. 78% of workers reported they were living paycheck to paycheck. The bankrate survey you are trying to quote states 41% are able to cover an emergency with $500 cash out of savings while an additional 20% would put it on a credit card and another 20% would cut back on expenses to cover it, 11% would have to turn to family or friends for the money.
y'all may find this interesting...

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...story-is-wrong

Old 06-12-2019, 12:57 PM

50,663 posts, read 26,726,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Yeah. DH used to do some business with one of THE Families. I don't think many Americans really know how the place is run. My nephew works for a builder on the Baja, has lived there for 30 years. It's a different world.

But, IMO, Mexico pretty much does run transportation from Guatemala to the river. That train people jump on for free.
What Mexico does within Mexico is their business. They canít be blamed for our voracious appetite for cheap labor.

The real issue is our inability OR unwillingness to crack down on corporations wanting cheap illegal labor. As long as Trump doesnít back e-verify becoming mandatory, this mess is a full blown dog and pony show to make the public think something is being done.

Until I see one large business or corporation fined so badly that they have to close the doors, I ainít buying NONE of this crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Lipstick on a pig. Nice try though.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM

38,213 posts, read 14,924,927 times
Quote:
What Mexico does within Mexico is their business. They canít be blamed for our voracious appetite for cheap labor.

The real issue is our inability OR unwillingness to crack down on corporations wanting cheap illegal labor. As long as Trump doesnít back e-verify becoming mandatory, this mess is a full blown dog and pony show to make the public think something is being done.

Until I see one large business or corporation fined so badly that they have to close the doors, I ainít buying NONE of this crap.

Lipstick on a pig. Nice try though.
Exactly.

It's all a bunch of BS. Trump's tough guy act is meant to distract his base and make them believe something is being done.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
What Mexico does within Mexico is their business. They can’t be blamed for our voracious appetite for cheap labor.

The real issue is our inability OR unwillingness to crack down on corporations wanting cheap illegal labor. As long as Trump doesn’t back e-verify becoming mandatory, this mess is a full blown dog and pony show to make the public think something is being done.

Until I see one large business or corporation fined so badly that they have to close the doors, I ain’t buying NONE of this crap.
I found this survey/forecast interesting ....

https://cmsny.org/publications/essay...IaAgqXEALw_wcB

it appears that e-verify is optional, though certainly it's against the law to hire illegal immigrants. Do we have data, or even non-partisan projections, on illegals using fraudulent documents? Is THAT the problem, or is it companies of 100+ employees turning a blind eye?

By the way, wouldn't it matter if this "large business or corporation" that gets fined has a 100% illegal workforce, or you're Ok with the legal employees getting laid off too? And do you have any particular suspects?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:04 PM

36,922 posts, read 16,377,496 times
Trump had e-verify in his last two budgets but it was probably voted down by the Democrats just as in the past. It has to be proven that an employer knowingly had illegals working for them. There have been several cases of late where the employers were caught and had accountable. Here are two of them.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tree-co...llegal-hiring/

https://www.courthousenews.com/waste...gration-abuse/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or