U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 PM

20,668 posts, read 10,032,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
What does it matter about the plane? How do you survive without a form of valid ID? If someone with low or no income cannot afford the travel to another location to obtain the required marriage and divorce papers then the person cannot renew the license and will be unable to drive or show ID. I have no income and all my papers from my forced marriage are in another state. I won't even have the money to pay for the papers, not much less the travel costs to go to that state. I likely won't even have the $48 for the renewal. It will cost hundreds of dollars just to have a valid ID once it is over and I won't have it.

What makes you think you have to travel somewhere to get your marriage license and divorce papers - if those are even needed?

If you have no income - you're not likely to be flying anyway. And for those who are in states where there's an extension - we have 16 months to save for this. At $135, that's about $8 per month.

I don't like this any more than you do, but it's not going away and we've known for YEARS that this was coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 PM

1,350 posts, read 588,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Traveling throughout the USA needing more than the NYS drivers license I ALREADY have!

I'll admit that I was ignorant of the new requirements to get this "REAL ID"; had no idea until I opened the letter from the DMV.
You're free to travel throughout the USA without needing more than an NYS drivers license. In fact, you don't even NEED to have a NYS drivers license. So either your post is full of ignorance or you're disingenuous.

I don't simply think that you're ignorant about the new requirements of "REAL ID", but you're also ignorant about the Constitution.

You make bold statements about this being unconstitutional and don't explain how. And you can't even state which statute it breaks.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:58 PM

20,328 posts, read 9,866,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So who voted for it in the US Senate?

everyone.

it passed the US senate 100-0

Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM

18,171 posts, read 10,140,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So who voted for it in the US Senate?
  • Joe Biden - Yes
  • Barack Obama - Yes
  • John McCain - Yes
  • Chuck Schumer - Yes
  • Hillary Clinton - Yes
And some of you here still support these career establishment politicians without question or thought.
Every last one of them voted for it, on both sides of the aisle.

A half truth is a whole lie.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:20 PM

1,844 posts, read 911,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What makes you think you have to travel somewhere to get your marriage license and divorce papers - if those are even needed?

If you have no income - you're not likely to be flying anyway. And for those who are in states where there's an extension - we have 16 months to save for this. At $135, that's about $8 per month.

I don't like this any more than you do, but it's not going away and we've known for YEARS that this was coming.
You have to show why your name doesn't match the name on your birth certificate. You cannot do much of anything without legal ID. And you have to have a driver's license to operate a vehicle as well.

You have to have an income to save money for something. And I didn't know until the past year about the requirements for marriage certificates and such to prove your name/identity. I already lost my disability income and I have zero chances of employment with all of my health problems. The vocational expert even said before that the accommodations needed for me to be employed no employer would find reasonable. I guess if I die before it expires it is a moot point. It's just one more thing to go wrong in my worthless life.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you afford internet? Are you sitting in a McDonalds on free Wifi?

I currently live in a community building for disabled people and it has free internet.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:40 PM

This lists the forms of identification needed:

https://realid.ilsos.gov/publication...tions/ex83.pdf

In addition, I'm reading the cost is the same as it costs to get your driver's license. If, by October 2020, you still have more than a year left before you need to renew your d/l - you can go into the DMV and pay a nominal change or correction fee. The $110 + $25 is what it costs to get a passport.

I think some of you may be making this a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
You have to show why your name doesn't match the name on your birth certificate. You cannot do much of anything without legal ID. And you have to have a driver's license to operate a vehicle as well.

You have to have an income to save money for something. And I didn't know until the past year about the requirements for marriage certificates and such to prove your name/identity. I already lost my disability income and I have zero chances of employment with all of my health problems. The vocational expert even said before that the accommodations needed for me to be employed no employer would find reasonable. I guess if I die before it expires it is a moot point. It's just one more thing to go wrong in my worthless life.
In IL, at least, you can go online and get your birth and marriage certificates. Of course there is a fee involved, but you don't need to travel to get it.

I feel for you, and I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but since you may not be flying, why are you worrying about this?

Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 PM

1,410 posts, read 336,798 times
[quote=TexasLawyer2000;55420071]You're free to travel throughout the USA without needing more than an NYS drivers license. In fact, you don't even NEED to have a NYS drivers license. So either your post is full of ignorance or you're disingenuous.

I don't simply think that you're ignorant about the new requirements of "REAL ID", but you're also ignorant about the Constitution.

You make bold statements about this being unconstitutional and don't explain how. And you can't even state which statute it breaks.[/QUOTE

We're talking about flying here. You NEED to produce valid identification

I have traveled using my current NYS license; this new requirement is BS!

You are conveniently leaving out the RE~REGISTRASTION that we MUST do to travel freely within the USA.

That's BS!

Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In IL, at least, you can go online and get your birth and marriage certificates. Of course there is a fee involved, but you don't need to travel to get it.

I feel for you, and I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but since you may not be flying, why are you worrying about this?
Because it is a driver's license and you cannot legally drive without one. You also cannot do much of anything anywhere without a legal ID. In KY you have to show these documents just to renew the license. If you don't renew the license then it expires and you no longer have a legal ID. My doctors even require me to occasionally show ID to get medical treatment. No ID = no medical treatment. Cannot renew food stamps or medicaid here without showing ID either. I even had to show current ID to update my phone number at the library. The food bank won't even help you without ID.

I got my birth certificate. I haven't had a copy of my marriage certificate since I was a child. I wasn't able to take stuff like that with me when I escaped, but I had the birth certificate already hid away in a locker at the college. I had to replace most everything else when I escaped, and paying for the marriage certificate when I was a single mother with no money was a low priority. I even had to sell my wedding ring for scrap gold value so I could buy diapers. The marriage certificate was stuck in his own documents, so I didn't really have access to it. Now, all these years later, I have to have something I hadn't seen since I was a kid. My parents and the church had forced me to marry him when I was a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or