U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 PM

20,589 posts, read 10,009,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Because it is a driver's license and you cannot legally drive without one. You also cannot do much of anything anywhere without a legal ID. In KY you have to show these documents just to renew the license. If you don't renew the license then it expires and you no longer have a legal ID. My doctors even require me to occasionally show ID to get medical treatment. No ID = no medical treatment. Cannot renew food stamps or medicaid here without showing ID either. I even had to show current ID to update my phone number at the library. The food bank won't even help you without ID.

I got my birth certificate. I haven't had a copy of my marriage certificate since I was a child. I wasn't able to take stuff like that with me when I escaped, but I had the birth certificate already hid away in a locker at the college. I had to replace most everything else when I escaped, and paying for the marriage certificate when I was a single mother with no money was a low priority. I even had to sell my wedding ring for scrap gold value so I could buy diapers. The marriage certificate was stuck in his own documents, so I didn't really have access to it. Now, all these years later, I have to have something I hadn't seen since I was a kid. My parents and the church had forced me to marry him when I was a child.
From this article:

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...icense-changes

Quote:
Don't plan to fly? You can just get a standard license, which doesn't require extra identification.
I think it will be okay for you, based on the article I'm linking to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:20 PM

1,350 posts, read 587,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
We're talking about flying here. You NEED to produce valid identification

I have traveled using my current NYS license; this new requirement is BS!

You are conveniently leaving out the RE~REGISTRASTION that we MUST do to travel freely within the USA.

That's BS!
You're having trouble focusing and are all over the place so I want to provide the specific quote that I am questioning (for the third time).

Quote:
That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS!
How is this unconstitutional by any means? Which statute are you referencing?

Also, as I implied in my previous post, you don't need this identification to fly. You are free to travel without these new IDs.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 908,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
From this article:

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/...icense-changes

I think it will be okay for you, based on the article I'm linking to.
I was told that here in Kentucky you still had to show the marriage certificate to show the name changes. My mother is lucky that her divorce happened here in KY, but the marriage happened in a mid-western state and she was upset when they told her she had to get the marriage certificate to get her license renewed.

My divorce papers are just photocopies, and not certified, so they won't even do. But if it came down to it, the driver's license doesn't say whether you're divorced or not, so it'd be a little cheaper just to get the marriage certificate and not mention the divorce. My name will be the same either way. But I don't know how I'm going to even come up with the money for that. It's been one more worry ever since I found out these details. If I'd known about all of this I'd have gotten a copy when I was out in VA years ago dealing with another matter and added it to my papers.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:34 PM

20,589 posts, read 10,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I was told that here in Kentucky you still had to show the marriage certificate to show the name changes. My mother is lucky that her divorce happened here in KY, but the marriage happened in a mid-western state and she was upset when they told her she had to get the marriage certificate to get her license renewed.

My divorce papers are just photocopies, and not certified, so they won't even do. But if it came down to it, the driver's license doesn't say whether you're divorced or not, so it'd be a little cheaper just to get the marriage certificate and not mention the divorce. My name will be the same either way. But I don't know how I'm going to even come up with the money for that. It's been one more worry ever since I found out these details. If I'd known about all of this I'd have gotten a copy when I was out in VA years ago dealing with another matter and added it to my papers.
It appears you're correct - going by this article:

https://www.wave3.com/2019/01/08/fin...iant-licenses/

I would call your DMV and ask what they do about hardship cases.

I'm sorry you're faced with this additional burden, and hope there's an easier / more affordable solution for you.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:36 PM

6,643 posts, read 1,964,222 times
Yikes!

I wonder if more people will start taking the train, just from sheer stubbornness.

You know, this is a perfect example of how the terrorists won, after all.

Thanks for the post.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 PM

45,772 posts, read 34,016,499 times
Quote:
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!

So, I'm responsible to provide the following PROOF of my existence to the State of NY; after all these years LIVING HERE, to hop a flight to Florida?

Well, I guess so...

"...You have completed DMV’s document guide.
You are eligible for REAL ID

Bring the following documents with you to a DMV office:

Federal or NY State W-2
Must show name and current NY State address.

My NY State License/ID with current NY State address
Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years.
An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

Bank Statement
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

Pay Stub
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."

WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm
Nothing to do with NY and all to do with Federal Law.

The REAL ID Act became Law in 2005. Most states promptly applied for and were granted extensions. Some states are in compliance and others intend to be by the 2020 deadline.

If your ID cannot be validated, you cannot board a flight.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
All I'm suggesting is that it is Un~Constitutional for the State of New York to demand such intrusion.
Nothing to do with NY.

Every state is required to comply with this Federal Law.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
everyone.

it passed the US senate 100-0
In 2005.

This was a Republican bill that received bipartisan support.

The House voted in favor 368-58.

There was a subsequent initiative to overturn it that went no place, fast.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 PM

1,824 posts, read 908,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It appears you're correct - going by this article:

https://www.wave3.com/2019/01/08/fin...iant-licenses/

I would call your DMV and ask what they do about hardship cases.

I'm sorry you're faced with this additional burden, and hope there's an easier / more affordable solution for you.
KY is not concerned with hardship cases. My mother may have to drive all the way to Iowa to get hers, and she is low income and doesn't even have her own place to live.

I tried to find a way to order mine online, but couldn't find one for that area.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:37 PM

6,649 posts, read 6,826,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You must be a male - married women must also bring their marriage license to show the name change from their Birth Certificate ...... I did all this years ago - the Real ID Act was passed in 2005 - of course it get's extended every couple of years for the non-compliant States - BUT, I've got a feeling those extensions are not going to be done anymore.

October 2020 -- Deadline

Yup, you have to provide proof of all name changes. I was married before, so I had to bring my certified copies of: birth certificate, marriage license #1, divorce decree, marriage license #2, original Social Security card, and two pieces of mail proving my address. Junk mail not accepted. Turned out, when I went in, they did not accept my original marriage license #2, and so I had to drop $30 or so on a new one.

Now we have to do it all over again in our new state, because our REAL ID DLs don't count, despite the flaming hoops you have to jump through to get it. PITA.

I feel sorry for women who were married multiple times; I have a relative who was married and divorced five times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or