U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 PM

51,887 posts, read 41,774,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Where was that? I'm forced to present the same birth certificate that I did in 1986.

I still have it, good for me; but what about the probable (math) amount of people that cannot produce the "proof" needed? An original birth certificate? Really? Just to renew a valid license so you could fly within your own country?

This has to be legally addressed.
The drivers license laws vary by state so it's likely that you lived in a state that already had stringent criteria. You can imagine that a number of states with very weak criteria were attractive for illegals to get a license from.

In many states, you didn't need a birth cert until the new law passed around 2005 with a 15 year phase in.

To be clear, I'm not saying we all have to like it and yes, for some they will have to get a new birth certificate etc.

I had to go through this at my last renewal but once you have the new ID then you can renew your license without all the many layers of proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 08:50 PM

23,924 posts, read 11,912,132 times
And I, OTOH, donít put up with that nonsense.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 336,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The drivers license laws vary by state so it's likely that you lived in a state that already had stringent criteria. You can imagine that a number of states with very weak criteria were attractive for illegals to get a license from.

In many states, you didn't need a birth cert until the new law passed around 2005 with a 15 year phase in.

To be clear, I'm not saying we all have to like it and yes, for some they will have to get a new birth certificate etc.

I had to go through this at my last renewal but once you have the new ID then you can renew your license without all the many layers of proof.
All I'm suggesting is that it is Un~Constitutional for the State of New York to demand such intrusion.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:57 PM

6,861 posts, read 3,782,423 times
Quote:
Where was that? I'm forced to present the same birth certificate that I did in 1986.

I still have it, good for me; but what about the probable (math) amount of people that cannot produce the "proof" needed? An original birth certificate? Really? Just to renew a valid license so you could fly within your own country?

This has to be legally addressed.

It's no big deal at all. Funny you should start this thread because I just went to renew my license and switch it to the new one at the DMV this morning. It's no big deal - just bring a few forms of ID eg Bank statement with your address, your social security card, your drivers license, your passport.
I didn't bring my birth certificate, your passport will suffice I think. There is a choice of valid things you can bring. The online guide takes you through it.

Easy peasy.

Make an appointment or turn up at 8am before the crowds. They take a new photo and do the easy eye test. You will be in and out.

Last edited by Cruithne; 06-11-2019 at 09:12 PM..

Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM

35,442 posts, read 10,481,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
And yet, illegal aliens are allowed to fly without anything.

Nothing but their "credible fear" form. Yes, those are two English words they do learn.

Nice country, this America.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:02 PM
mlb

3,178 posts, read 2,853,807 times
Quote:
All I'm suggesting is that it is Un~Constitutional for the State of New York to demand such intrusion.
The federal government, specifically Homeland Security, is responsible for this requirement.

Oh, and A Republican Congress.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 PM

6,967 posts, read 5,419,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
And yet, illegal aliens are allowed to fly without anything.
Seriously? Prove it - link please.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM

6,900 posts, read 3,829,163 times
I just renewed my passport last year. Iíll use my American or French passport until itís time to renew my DL.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 336,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
It's no big deal at all. Funny you should start this thread because I just went to renew my license and switch it to the new one at the DMV this morning. It's no big deal - just bring a few forms of ID eg Bank statement with your address, your social security card, your drivers license, your passport.
I didn't bring my birth certificate, your passport will suffice I think. There is a choice of valid things you can bring. The online guide takes you through it.

Easy peasy.

Make an appointment or turn up at 8am before the crowds. They take a new photo and do the easy eye test. You will be in and out.

If you don't have a bank account, too bad for you, right?

Or a birth certificate, or pay stub, no flights for you within your own country...sick!

Old 06-11-2019, 09:34 PM

6,861 posts, read 3,782,423 times
Quote:
If you don't have a bank account, too bad for you, right?

Or a birth certificate, or pay stub, no flights for you within your own country...sick!

For goodness sake, I just explained to you that there are a VARIETY of options of ID you can bring.

You don't need to have a bank account, there are other choices, for example a utility bill. You use utilities I take it? Or do you live in a hole in the ground?

I told you, go through the online guide:

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg...PermitNDID.cfm

You don't need ALL of the forms of ID just one or two from each category as per the instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or