U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 01:05 PM

8,085 posts, read 4,416,691 times

Advertisements

That backward state, Georgia, has been compliant for several years. What took that bastion of progress, New York, so long? So much for stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 01:09 PM

8,085 posts, read 4,416,691 times
Get over yourself. Seems there was a discrepancy between when I thought I was born and what SSA thought. The birth certificate I'd had almost 70 years was not, after all a certified and valid birth certificate. I had to extend myself just a wee bit to get a certified copy of my birth certificate from my home state - not where I have lived most of my adult life, that SSA would accept. End of story, with no drama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Someone left me an unsigned message: "Goodness! Birth certificate is easy to order from the the county or state of your birth. I should know I've had to replace my when I've lost it. Oops. They look at the documents, they don't create a database of them. Geez Louise get a grip."

I ALREADY proved that I exist to the State of NY many years ago, and to the Fed EVERY YEAR I file my tax returns! I have traveled this country with my NYS Drivers license for years without any problem, but now I have to RE~PROOF my existence to get a "REAL~ID".

Sorry, anonymous, but that is BS!

Old 06-15-2019, 01:17 PM

1,099 posts, read 571,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
That backward state, Georgia, has been compliant for several years. What took that bastion of progress, New York, so long? So much for stereotypes.
Different states had different opposition. Some states were opposed to it altogether. Some states which had originally planned to role out in 2012 were held up by multiple court orders due to ACLU. Rather than asking.. it might be good for you to do a little research.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:43 PM

19,020 posts, read 15,474,890 times
Quote:
Different states came into compliance at different times, others are on extension. There really isn't much of a link political or otherwise when various states became compliant. Currently there are five states that are not yet compliant and are on extension, Kentucky, Maine, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Oregon.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM

1,409 posts, read 336,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The law never doesnt that.

1. You only need REAL ID to fly a commercial carrier. Private carriers do NOT require it. Also, if you want to fly your plane domestically, you don't need REAL ID. No one is stopping you from flying domestically.

2. There's NOTHING in the Constitution that the government has to allow you to fly commercially. If that were the case, the TSA would be unconstitutional as they can deny you your right to fly commercially.

3. REAL ID has been available for YEARS. It's not new.
Oh, my bad. I forgot I could fly all over the place in private jets. Thanks genius.

I never heard of "Real ID" until I opened the letter from the DMV, which is when I posted this thread.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

Old 06-15-2019, 01:57 PM

20,609 posts, read 10,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
LOL. Based on the clothing choices I have seen in the airports around the country I think nearly all of the Walmart shoppers fly on a regular basis! 😂 So, it is my opinion that there are many more low-income flyers than you would possibly believe.
LOL...I don't care where people buy their clothes, as long as the pants are pulled up, and the clothing actually fits.

Personally, I think anyone who has kids or parents who travel outside the country should have a passport, even if they think they're never going to travel outside the country themselves, but I get that some folks can't afford it.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself. Seems there was a discrepancy between when I thought I was born and what SSA thought. The birth certificate I'd had almost 70 years was not, after all a certified and valid birth certificate. I had to extend myself just a wee bit to get a certified copy of my birth certificate from my home state - not where I have lived most of my adult life, that SSA would accept. End of story, with no drama.
Get over myself?

I'm fine with myself, thanks.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:03 PM

22,270 posts, read 9,461,111 times
Quote:
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!
So, I'm responsible to provide the following PROOF of my existence to the State of NY; after all these years LIVING HERE, to hop a flight to Florida? Well, I guess so...
"...You have completed DMV’s document guide.
You are eligible for REAL ID
Bring the following documents with you to a DMV office:
Federal or NY State W-2
Must show name and current NY State address.
My NY State License/ID with current NY State address
Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years.
An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.
Bank Statement
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.
Pay Stub
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.
U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."
___________________________WHAT!?!? That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.
https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm
I apologize if this is repetitive--I haven't read through 5 pages, but this is not unusual.

In Florida, you can renew your license online every other time. But every other renewal--you have to go in to the DMV and prove your identity with birth certificate, etc.

This was due to 9/11 I think. But--I know a fifty something guy who owns his own business, who was adopted very young, and has lost his amended birth certificate, can't get a copy without a judge unsealing records if he will unseal them. Until then, he cannot get a DL in FL, despite the fact that he had one since he was 16 and has lived in the state his whole life.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I apologize if this is repetitive--I haven't read through 5 pages, but this is not unusual.

In Florida, you can renew your license online every other time. But every other renewal--you have to go in to the DMV and prove your identity with birth certificate, etc.

This was due to 9/11 I think. But--I know a fifty something guy who owns his own business, who was adopted very young, and has lost his amended birth certificate, can't get a copy without a judge unsealing records if he will unseal them. Until then, he cannot get a DL in FL, despite the fact that he had one since he was 16 and has lived in the state his whole life.
No apologies necessary. Thanks for not being in attack mode like some others.

Here in NY, it used to be you show up with your expiring license, fill out a form, take a new pic, pay, and that was it.

That sucks for your friend; way worse a predicament for sure.

Last edited by SeaMaj7; 06-15-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 09:56 PM

95 posts, read 16,892 times
Quote:
Oh, my bad. I forgot I could fly all over the place in private jets. Thanks genius.

I never heard of "Real ID" until I opened the letter from the DMV, which is when I posted this thread.

Well excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!
It's great that we have options to travel and that we aren't forced to get a new ID.

But how do you see any of this as unconstitutional? You keep skipping over that part....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or