Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM

5,976 posts, read 2,231,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I didn't ask for any of this BS! Why do you go for the identity political view of this?
Oh spare me and just read the post in this thread again. This is a National law passed in 2005, it was written to identify Terrorist or people with illegal status attempting to board airplanes. This was a George W Bush and Republican congress passed bill. There was no pushback from the Obama admin either.

In addition this bill had heavy support among the general population because at that time we only cared about terrorism and allowed all kinds of garbage into law, Patriot Act anyone?

You may not like that fact but it is what it is. I don’t see any support to change it either so you may not have supported it but we all have to live with unless someone is going to put their neck on the line and move to change.

I hope people remember this lesson when thinking about restrictive policies some want passed to prove a individual is a citizen. Because we will all have to produce papers if we vote to make “some people” produce them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,155,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
3 months out for appointments here and there is no such thing as no crowds. It's like a rock concert and people line up hours before they open.

Mmm..kay.
Yesterday I turned up without an appointment at 8.00am to the DMV in Yonkers NY, an extremely dense urban area.
I also lived in California and used the DMV offices there. All DMVs are the same. You just have to be organized. Get there early and be prepared to wait around.
OP, its nobody's favorite experience but you have to go every once in while to renew your licence anyway. Taking an extra couple of pieces of paper that you probably have tucked away anyway really is neither here or there.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

10,519 posts, read 6,155,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I'm repeating myself today, but:

This is P&OC, we don't let trivial things like facts interfere with a good rant! This your fist day here?

LOL. No. I've been here since 2011. Not much changes.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,398,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not so easy peasy. Here in NC, your full middle name must be spelled out on at least one form of ID proof to get your "Real ID." Well, I have not one single ID document in my married name with my full middle name spelled out on it. Not my US passport, not my previous DL, not my SS card. Not any of my tax forms. Nothing. All had only my middle initial. I had to get a certified copy of my marriage certificate (from 35 years ago) paired with my birth certificate to prove what my full middle name is.

NC has not quite figured it out yet Just went to renew my license with
my green card and passport in hand , one piece of mail ( the one the dmv sent to mein other hand
but this was not enough , ha ha , oh no she needed two pieces of mail with
my address on it.
Then she decided to let it slide and I then spent close to 3 hours sitting next to
a woman who just got out of jail . At least listening to her conversations was
entertaining. yes not so easy peasy here in NC:

Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,982,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Mmm..kay.
Yesterday I turned up without an appointment at 8.00am to the DMV in Yonkers NY, an extremely dense urban area.
I also lived in California and used the DMV offices there. All DMVs are the same. You just have to be organized. Get there early and be prepared to wait around.
OP, its nobody's favorite experience but you have to go every once in while to renew your licence anyway. Taking an extra couple of pieces of paper that you probably have tucked away anyway really is neither here or there.

No one is getting in and out of a DMV office here in San Diego without an appointment. No one. This is a hot topic at work and everyone I've talked to said min 3 hours. I work in an office of over 1200 people. This is the current wait time at my DMV Nearby Office Wait Times

San Diego Clairemont
1:17

That time is the time AFTER you've been given a number, it's not the hours you'll wait standing in line to get in.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:39 AM

37,145 posts, read 19,165,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Why did you change the subject after I showed you the vote was completely bi-partisan?
George W. Bush was one of the best salesmen ever. He sold fear to get the new security measures passed and agencies established, and then sold a false bill of goods to attack the wrong country. That, too, was a bipartisan vote in favor, if you remember, because W and his crew of thugs had cooked the books.

It may have been a bipartisan vote, but it was purely a republican idea to make America so afraid of "terrorists" that they would give up everything to be "safe". We should have been more afraid of the GOP.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM

37,145 posts, read 19,165,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The problem with America is that people like you only blame the opposite party while absolving your own party of any blame.

Look at your post. Both parties are making it worse and you pin it all on just the opposite party - because that is what your party leaders want. Sheep mentality. Are you truly ignorant of Democrats' hands in this? If so, you need to stop watching only partisan one sided news sources.

Candidate Obama opposed the Patriot Act. President Obama didn't.

Obama flip flopped on lots of privacy vs security issues.

https://consumercal.blogspot.com/200...reversals.html

Yet you pin it all on the opposite party.

Your party can do this to you, because they know you are a sheep and will bah the party line and blame only the opposite party refusing to hold them accountable.

Also if you think data collection started under GWB, then you are once again outside of the loop. The government had been collecting phone data for decades....both Bush Sr. and Clinton amped this up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...tion/70808616/
I provided sources to back up my claims, too. You should try it instead of deflecting. The TSA, Homeland Security, and the Patriot Act had nothing to do with Obama except peripherally. Those were solely Republican inventions, and the reason you have to provide ID now to buy bubble gum.

Attacking me, BTW, doesn't change the facts. All it does is demonstrate that you have no countering argument.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Mmm..kay.

I'm laughing because having lived in the Chicago area for 30 years of my adult life, I know from 30 years of experience that people start lining up at the IL SOS (they're called that there, not the DMV) driver's license and vehicle registration/license plate facilities hours before they even open. Drive by one any very early am. You'll see the lines already formed. /smh

Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM

88,942 posts, read 44,763,133 times
The one thing I will say about IL SOS facilities is that decades ago, when I went to get tested for my motorcycle endorsement (yes, you have to take and pass a road/riding test for that), once you got past the initial check-in line it went very fast because not very many people try to pass that motorcycle road/riding test. I passed. No problem.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,516,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!

So, I'm responsible to provide the following PROOF of my existence to the State of NY; after all these years LIVING HERE, to hop a flight to Florida?

Well, I guess so...

"...You have completed DMV’s document guide.
You are eligible for REAL ID

Bring the following documents with you to a DMV office:

Federal or NY State W-2
Must show name and current NY State address.

My NY State License/ID with current NY State address
Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years.
An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

Bank Statement
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

Pay Stub
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."

WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm
Same here.

I had to renew my TX DL last July and had to show up in person with ID. They took my money immediately, but just gave me a piece of folded paper as I waited months for the new license to show up.

In the meantime, I flew out of La Guardia in August. They wouldn't accept that little piece of paper. But I showed them my TX concealed handgun license and sailed right through.

My "Real ID" DL showed up in September. It has a little gold star in the upper right corner.

Only a handful of states aren't compliant with the Real ID federal law, and they're in the process of getting there.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...pliant-states/

Next up is Enhanced ID drivers licenses, which go a step beyond and will be accepted to cross the border w/o showing a passport. I kinda look forward to getting that EDL so it won't be such a pain to cross back from Mexico.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanc...er%27s_license

It's all part of "enhanced security" after 9/11 and the nonstop "war on terror" that just goes on like the energizer bunny.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies