U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:40 PM
 
16,758 posts, read 9,108,264 times
Reputation: 6783

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I provided sources to back up my claims, too. You should try it instead of deflecting. The TSA, Homeland Security, and the Patriot Act had nothing to do with Obama except peripherally. Those were solely Republican inventions, and the reason you have to provide ID now to buy bubble gum.

Attacking me, BTW, doesn't change the facts. All it does is demonstrate that you have no countering argument.
Obama renewed the Patriot Act without serious reforms.

The fact is you accept the policies you claim to despise, so long as they come from your own party.


The current Patriot Act exists...because Obama signed it into law. Bush's Patriot Act was set to expire. The fact that you refuse to admit that the Democrats have a hand in the Patriot Act and other surveillance shows your sheep mentality...the party leader shepherds tell you to bah and you bah.

Do you honestly think it is good for the country when you refuse to admit simple facts so that you can in an illogical and incoherent fashion blame 1 party for the actions of 2 parties?


Biden claims he wrote the Patriot Act:

Quote:
Biden not only voted for the 2001 Patriot Act, he, on many occasions, claimed credit for writing it.
"I drafted a terrorism bill after the Oklahoma City bombing," Biden was quoted as saying by the New Republic in 2001.

"And the bill John ******** sent up was my bill," Biden continued, referring to the Patriot Act. The act broadened the surveillance capabilities of U.S. law enforcement agencies as it relates to identifying potential terrorists, and many of its provisions have been opposed by liberal Democrats and civil libertarians.

It wasn't the first time Biden took credit for the Patriot Act . On Meet the Press that same year, he made similar comments referring to the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995.

Quote:
Mass surveillance just earned another 90-day blank check, nine months after President Obama promised to rein in the NSA’s spying powers.
https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/40...s-rubber-stamp


Quote:
President Obama on Friday defended the government’s collection of data on the phone records of millions of Americans, saying that it was a modest encroachment on privacy and one he thinks is both lawful and justified in order to identify terrorists plotting to attack the United States....

...Revelations about the programs in The Washington Post and the Guardian newspaper have opened up a debate that previously had been limited to the cryptic warnings of some members of Congress who were briefed on but troubled by the surveillance efforts. Some lawmakers who do not serve on the intelligence committees said they had no knowledge of the programs.

“Did I know about it? No, I didn’t,” said Rep. Gerald E. Connolly (D-Va.), who said he was unconvinced by the president’s assurances that surveillance efforts are constrained by congressional oversight and the federal courts. “That’s the lawyer in him speaking. . . . The way bureaucracies work, we stumble into invasions of privacy. We want information it’s unwise to seek or to possess.”

The National Security Agency acknowledges that Americans’ communications can be inadvertently collected, but U.S. intelligence agencies have declined to provide Congress with an estimate on how often that has happened, despite repeated requests for that information.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.b1bf263a74aa

Unprecedented surveillance granted by Obama:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...valettop_email

The ACLU:
Quote:
There is a very real danger that the Obama administration will enshrine permanently within the law policies and practices that were widely considered extreme and unlawful during the Bush administration.
https://www.democracynow.org/2010/8/...e_critics_aclu

Quote:
Obama signs Patriot Act extension without reforms. Privacy advocates had called for greater oversight on aspects of the Patriot Act that give the government broad powers. But the version Obama signed Saturday moved through Congress unchanged.
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ithout-reforms


If you think the Patriot Act's existence in 2019 is solely the responsibility of 1 party then you are a good little sheep staying in the flock and bahing out what the shepherd says.

Omission is a form of a lie. When you lie by placing all of the blame on the opposite party doesn't your party get emboldened and realize that they can push further policies you don't like, because you refuse to look at the obvious evidence and think for yourself? You will stay in the flock and ignore the bad policies that you despise when it comes from your own end and only point out the times it comes from the opposite party.

Doesn't this sheep mentality lead to more bad policies and more lies?

Can you in good conscious get upset when people in the other party lie for political gain, since it is something you practice so freely even after when confronted with evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!

So, I'm responsible to provide the following PROOF of my existence to the State of NY; after all these years LIVING HERE, to hop a flight to Florida?

Well, I guess so...

"...You have completed DMV’s document guide.
You are eligible for REAL ID


Bring the following documents with you to a DMV office:

Federal or NY State W-2
Must show name and current NY State address.

My NY State License/ID with current NY State address
Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years.
An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

Bank Statement
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

Pay Stub
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."
____________________________

WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm


Or just travel domestically with your passport. Problem solved.


And this doesn't go into effect in NY until 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,155 posts, read 10,136,701 times
Reputation: 7052
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Obama renewed the Patriot Act without serious reforms.

The fact is you accept the policies you claim to despise, so long as they come from your own party.


The current Patriot Act exists...because Obama signed it into law. Bush's Patriot Act was set to expire. The fact that you refuse to admit that the Democrats have a hand in the Patriot Act and other surveillance shows your sheep mentality...the party leader shepherds tell you to bah and you bah.

Do you honestly think it is good for the country when you refuse to admit simple facts so that you can in an illogical and incoherent fashion blame 1 party for the actions of 2 parties?


Biden claims he wrote the Patriot Act:






https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/40...s-rubber-stamp




https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.b1bf263a74aa

Unprecedented surveillance granted by Obama:

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/...valettop_email

The ACLU:

https://www.democracynow.org/2010/8/...e_critics_aclu



https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...ithout-reforms


If you think the Patriot Act's existence in 2019 is solely the responsibility of 1 party then you are a good little sheep staying in the flock and bahing out what the shepherd says.

Omission is a form of a lie. When you lie by placing all of the blame on the opposite party doesn't your party get emboldened and realize that they can push further policies you don't like, because you refuse to look at the obvious evidence and think for yourself? You will stay in the flock and ignore the bad policies that you despise when it comes from your own end and only point out the times it comes from the opposite party.

Doesn't this sheep mentality lead to more bad policies and more lies?

Can you in good conscious get upset when people in the other party lie for political gain, since it is something you practice so freely even after when confronted with evidence?
You have yet to refute my original post. You keep trying to divert the conversation to Obama. Not a big surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:52 PM
 
9,519 posts, read 13,442,161 times
Reputation: 5692
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No one is getting in and out of a DMV office here in San Diego without an appointment. No one. This is a hot topic at work and everyone I've talked to said min 3 hours. I work in an office of over 1200 people. This is the current wait time at my DMV Nearby Office Wait Times

San Diego Clairemont
1:17

That time is the time AFTER you've been given a number, it's not the hours you'll wait standing in line to get in.
I waited like 5 hours at mine in Bethpage, NY. Was about ready to start bringing a pillow & blanket and taking up residency there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM
 
16,758 posts, read 9,108,264 times
Reputation: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You have yet to refute my original post. You keep trying to divert the conversation to Obama. Not a big surprise.
#1 Your first post blamed the modern surveillance state solely on 1 single party. This is a lie.

#2 You then claimed that Obama had nothing to do with the Patriot Act except peripherally. This is also a lie.


Obama renewed the Patriot Act that would have otherwise expired and he did so without serious reforms. Obama expanded other abilities of the surveillance state.

When you lie and blame a 2 party issue on 1 single party how does that actually help America?


Candidate Obama campaigned against renewing the Patriot Act before President Obama renewed it. Don't you think millions of people like you made it easier for him to flip flop? If the vast majority of Democrats stood up and said no we will think and we will have integrity - we oppose this and will hold Obama's actions accountable - don't you think Obama would have thought a bit harder about breaking his campaign promise?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 06-12-2019 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Northern NJ/Amagansett, NY
10,947 posts, read 10,188,533 times
Reputation: 7724
I was dreading going to renew my NJ drivers license, but was pleasantly surprised when I got something in the mail, allowing me to renew by mail. That was a first.

I assume they must have saved all that stuff in their database.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Decatur, GA
5,287 posts, read 4,028,820 times
Reputation: 2815
The better question is why does one need to show anything but a ticket to board a plane? Demanding photo ID does literally nothing to protect against terrorists unless the screening is so lax that anyone can get bad stuff through...which still doesn't do anything, even if they compared the license to some kind of secret list right there at the podium, unless someone has done Bad Things(TM) before, it's not like they'll be caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Reputation: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
States like CA hand out DL to illegals pretty much like a prize in cracker jacks so using a DL for an ID is about as worthless as it can get.
Those driver licenses DO NOT give legal status.


https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...s-license.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 PM
mlb
 
Location: North Monterey County
3,179 posts, read 2,854,709 times
Reputation: 4876
We just moved back to California after a 28 year hiatus.

WALKED in - to the Salinas DMV with all our paperwork.

in an out in 2 hours Period. No appointment.

You have to be willing to travel to a non-busy out of metro area DMV.

There are plenty of them statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM
 
1,836 posts, read 909,450 times
Reputation: 2388
One of the worst parts is the cost. $48 here in KY. That's a lot of money for some people to have to come up with. Last time I renewed my license it was $12 I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top