U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 05:04 PM

10,927 posts, read 10,178,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
The better question is why does one need to show anything but a ticket to board a plane? Demanding photo ID does literally nothing to protect against terrorists unless the screening is so lax that anyone can get bad stuff through...which still doesn't do anything, even if they compared the license to some kind of secret list right there at the podium, unless someone has done Bad Things(TM) before, it's not like they'll be caught.
Maybe so people on the ‘do not fly’ list, cant just have a friend buy a ticket and give it to them? The name on the ticket has to match the name on the driver’s license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 05:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Or just travel domestically with your passport. Problem solved.
...I travel the USA with my NYS drivers license. I don't have a passport; the thought of needing a passport in the USA to travel by any means within this country is ludicrous.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM

18,913 posts, read 6,844,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
And yet, illegal aliens are allowed to fly without anything.
When do illegal aliens fly? Source?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
What else is new? I thought everyone knew this long ago. This is not news.

You need a Real ID to fly anywhere after certain dates. Period.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:54 PM

19,016 posts, read 15,472,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I waited like 5 hours at mine in Bethpage, NY. Was about ready to start bringing a pillow & blanket and taking up residency there.
I went to the Massapequa one was waiting three hours and thought that was bad, live between the two of them, glad I picked the shorter one lol.

With that said, you can set up a reservation in advance and probably be in and out in under an hour if that. Of course, you can't wait to look until a week before you need to go in order to do that, which I quickly found out.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:55 PM

1,408 posts, read 335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
What else is new? I thought everyone knew this long ago. This is not news.

You need a Real ID to fly anywhere after certain dates. Period.
My point in making this thread is that I'm already registered in the Machine, but now I (We) have to prove I (We) exist by providing proof!?!?!?

That's insane, sorry.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:03 PM

15,087 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
My point in making this thread is that I'm already registered in the Machine, but now I (We) have to prove I (We) exist by providing proof!?!?!?

That's insane, sorry.
It was a long term result of 9/11 and policies that followed. As you know, states control DL so it was possible that many states might be lax and that might allow the wrong people to get ID.

Real ID is the equiv. of a Passport in many ways. It's a PITA to get (I read well, so I got mine on first shot at the agency...in about 20 minutes), but once you have it I think it's equivalent to having chipped credit cards. That is, it's a physical piece you have that is almost impossible to counterfeit and, in the end, will make travel easier for most of us (on planes)....

I mean....the real discussion might be about 9/11 and the aftermath and how far the Security State has went....but that IS in response to that "The People" asked for and, in fact, demanded.

Now, decades later, people are looking and thinking it is overkill. On the other hand, Planes aren't getting bombed out of the sky and hijacked often here......

I'm an "above board" guy so it doesn't matter much to me. But I surely wasn't telling my reps to pass the Patriot Acts and Bomb Iraq (it's all related....)

Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM

19,521 posts, read 20,889,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.
Yes, this will reek havoc on our democracy.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM

7,061 posts, read 1,773,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It's only going to get worse as long as we allow it to.
When a democrat or GOP politician does something stupid or incites the other side there will be 100 pages of comments here from people full of emotion on a topic that has no bearing on their personal life one bit. But congress passes this sort of thing with the Real ID Act and hardly anyone cares or even knows it happened. We get what we deserve I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The terrorists won a long time ago, aided by the GOP.
Congress voted 5 times on the Real ID act to get in passed. Except for one time when 65% of the house voted for it, the other four votes 85-100% in favor of it. Both votes in the senate were 100% for it. Both parties are complicit on this. Just like the patriot act. Usually when both parties agree on something they take away more of our civil liberties.

https://ballotpedia.org/REAL_ID_Act_of_2005

Legislative history

The REAL ID Act of 2005 was introduced as HR 418 in the U.S. House of Representatives by Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) on January 26, 2005.

The House passed the bill by a vote of 261-161 on February 10, 2005. The text was then added as Division B to the end of HR 1268, which passed the House 388 - 43. The bill then passed the Senate by a vote of 99-0 on April 21, 2005. HR 1268 was then moved to conference committee; the House agreed to the conference report 368-58, and the Senate agreed 100-0.[5]
President George W. Bush signed the legislation into law on May 11, 2005. It was set to be implemented in multiple phases over several years.[5][

Old 06-12-2019, 06:10 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,889,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Buy or make your own plane and be free from all that crap. Liberty allows you to buy or make what government denies.
You haven't seen government regulation, until you get into aircraft ownership. Makes the required ID stuff to board airliners look like child's play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or