Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times

Advertisements

Another reason to not give illegals driver licenses. It doesn't matter these licenses are restricted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 07:35 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
I have no issue with it. I fly a lot. In fact it is nearly impossible to live without valid ID. I mean live and actually own things like a house, a car, bank accounts etc.

The OP is just complaining. In fact I have never been able to check into a hotel without ID. Every time I have flown they have checked my ID against the plane ticket and personal information provided when it was purchased. It's a good thing. It prevents a thief from using your plane ticket.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I have no issue with it. I fly a lot. In fact it is nearly impossible to live without valid ID. I mean live and actually own things like a house, a car, bank accounts etc.

The OP is just complaining. In fact I have never been able to check into a hotel without ID. Every time I have flown they have checked my ID against the plane ticket and personal information provided when it was purchased. It's a good thing. It prevents a thief from using your plane ticket.
Yeah, but now we have to re~register. WHY?

Old 06-12-2019, 07:47 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Yeah, but now we have to re~register. WHY?
Well it could be that previous requirements to verify who you were when applying for a Drivers license were pathetic.

In the State I lived in? 2 pieces of mail with your name and claimed address, know your SSN. Bingo, you can get a state ID card or a drivers license upon successful completion of tests.

Now that ID is 1 step above worthless and proves nothing.

I have a passport, a passport card and a valid drivers license from my state in the USA and from the country I now reside. I needed more than a few pieces of mail to get it.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:57 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,477,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You must be a male - married women must also bring their marriage license to show the name change from their Birth Certificate ...... I did all this years ago - the Real ID Act was passed in 2005 - of course it get's extended every couple of years for the non-compliant States - BUT, I've got a feeling those extensions are not going to be done anymore.

October 2020 -- Deadline

Yes, I tried explaining this to some men locally and they pretty much called me a liar. In order for me to get another license, I have to find a way to travel to another state, with no income, and pay for the marriage license and divorce papers. Then the driver's license is $48. I probably will never be able to come up with the money. It's going to be hundreds of dollars. But the men can just go pay the $48 without having to do all of that.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:00 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Maybe so people on the ‘do not fly’ list, cant just have a friend buy a ticket and give it to them? The name on the ticket has to match the name on the driver’s license.
What does that matter? Is the tsa so incompetent that someone on this secret list poses a threat to the aircraft even after going through their screening?

Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!

WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm
it starts Oct 2020, not "now" as you claim.

you also don't have to get a realID at all. You can merely use your passport.

but yes, it's rather ridiculous that when I took my 17 yr old to get her permanent license and inquired about RealID, they didn't accept:

existing license
birth certificate
social security card
passport

as enough proof of ID/citizenship, whatever it is they're looking for. She needed some "bill" that ALSO had our home address. The only "bill" she has as a minor was a report card, which I didn't bring with me.

Last edited by BoBromhal; 06-12-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Real ID is a federal program.
States have had many years to implement it.
Some states were early adopters, some waited until what is basically the last minute.

A couple of states tried to opt out and many got extensions, but the grace period ended in 2017.
New York State is considered in compliance.

More details here:

https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-...es-territories

And here:

“DHS is committed to enforcing the REAL ID Act in accordance with the phased enforcement schedule and regulatory timeframes and is not inclined to grant additional extensions to any states that are not both committed to achieving full compliance and making substantial and documented progress in satisfying any unmet requirements. It has been 12 years since the REAL ID Act was passed and half of all the states have already met the REAL ID minimum standards. It is time that the remaining jurisdictions turn their commitments to secure identification into action.”

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
One of the last things TeamObama did before exiting was to issue another extension - final deadline is October 2020.

You know you are in compliance if you have a STAR on your DL. Texas uses hologram Stars.
Texas also required fingerprints to get a DL.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:22 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
to qualify for a texas DL I needed:

my NY state's drivers license
original or certified birth certificate
original social security card
original marriage license because my last name on former license didn't match social security card last name
proof of residence
fingerprints of both thumbs

I did not like giving my fingerprints. I had never been fingerprinted, but if I wanted to legally drive in texas providing fingerprints was the law.
You don't have to have your original Social Security card - they will also take a tax document.
I didn't mind the fingerprints - State already had them since I used to work for Texas DPS.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times
Quote:
...I travel the USA with my NYS drivers license. I don't have a passport; the thought of needing a passport in the USA to travel by any means within this country is ludicrous.
Nobody said you NEED a passport to travel within the USA they said you can use your passport if you don't have a REAL ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies