Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2019, 08:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I was dreading going to renew my NJ drivers license, but was pleasantly surprised when I got something in the mail, allowing me to renew by mail. That was a first.

I assume they must have saved all that stuff in their database.
I've done it by mail for years - this year was online. I did have to take in the documentation about 6 years ago for the Real ID check. Renew Car tags at the grocery store every year.
Always get this stuff done in about 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

It's only going to get worse as long as we allow it to. The terrorists won a long time ago, aided by the GOP.
You might want to read the thread about The Hammer, a domestic spy program created by Brennan and Clapper for their boss (guess who?)

Old 06-12-2019, 08:37 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I did, to let you know how insignificant your little rant is. And by the responses on here, I’m not the only one who thinks that. Also, looks like your little rant was factually incorrect as well. What a shocker.
If you were truly unaffected by his post, you would have ignored it rather than typing a reply.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:40 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."
Yeah important point here. I tried to get my "real ID". I showed them my state-issued birth certificate, which happened to have been an official miniature copy that was laminated by the issuing state. I was told by the DMV that the birth certificate can't be laminated. Pretty sure that the bigger non-laminated copy of my birth certificate was destroyed when our basement flooded.

So I had every single item they asked for, and it still wasn't enough.

Seems like a giant government money-making scam if you ask me.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
"official miniature" does not equal certified. that means like a notarized or raised stamp copy. The county where you were born has an original birth certificate.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Or just use your passport to fly if you have one.
Im getting mine sometime before 2021

Old 06-13-2019, 12:59 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I have to renew my drivers license this year. Ok, I've done that a few times before. No big deal, right?

WRONG!

Now, you must provide your papers if you want to fly DOMESTCIALLY, as in, within the USA!

So, I'm responsible to provide the following PROOF of my existence to the State of NY; after all these years LIVING HERE, to hop a flight to Florida?

Well, I guess so...

"...You have completed DMV’s document guide.
You are eligible for REAL ID

Bring the following documents with you to a DMV office:

Federal or NY State W-2
Must show name and current NY State address.

My NY State License/ID with current NY State address
Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years.
An interim (paper MV-1) license will not be accepted.

Bank Statement
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

Pay Stub
Must show name and current NY State address. Must be issued within 120 days of your DMV office visit. Electronic versions must be printed.

U.S. Birth Certificate
Must be original or certified. Must be issued by a state or local government. Must show full middle name if applicable...."

WHAT!?!?

That wreaks of Un~Constitutional BS! I'm not sure if similar measures are being implemented in other states, but they're here.

https://process.dmv.ny.gov/documentg.../checklist.cfm
What exactly do you think is unconstitutional here? And which particular law are you referencing?

Old 06-13-2019, 01:56 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Yeah, but now we have to re~register. WHY?
Because your state blew it off for too long. I have friends in MO who are in the same position. I'm up for a new license in August. I already have the gold star on my soon to expire Texas Driver's License because my state didn't sit around pretending this wasn't coming up. Some states are just now coming into compliance. And I agree that sucks. Especially since so many folks have only learned of this recently.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:10 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,390,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
What exactly do you think is unconstitutional here? And which particular law are you referencing?
Traveling throughout the USA needing more than the NYS drivers license I ALREADY have!

I'll admit that I was ignorant of the new requirements to get this "REAL ID"; had no idea until I opened the letter from the DMV.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it starts Oct 2020, not "now" as you claim.

you also don't have to get a realID at all. You can merely use your passport.

but yes, it's rather ridiculous that when I took my 17 yr old to get her permanent license and inquired about RealID, they didn't accept:

existing license
birth certificate
social security card
passport

as enough proof of ID/citizenship, whatever it is they're looking for. She needed some "bill" that ALSO had our home address. The only "bill" she has as a minor was a report card, which I didn't bring with me.
I wonder what will be required for very young (before school age) children? Of course they would have a birth certificate and SS card, but nothing else. Enough?

Daughter will be flying with her sons (3 and 5) in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies