U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:21 AM

15,487 posts, read 7,512,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What a bunch of crap. I am an ardent environmentalist, but am no fairy.

Unlike libs, I actually take action in planting trees, prarie grass, habitats for ducks and wildlife, and set up bee hives.
The people that actually take initiative, put the work in and get their hands dirty versus the people that sit around at a trendy sidewalk Cafe and talk about it. Maybe they'll volunteer to help for a bit if there's a photo op.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 06:24 AM

4,015 posts, read 2,060,413 times
more "toxic masculinity" BS from left wing feminists.
Toxic females who drive around in big SUV's don't care either.
Why don't they go after people like Barbara Streisand who fly around in private jets while screaming about the environment??

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sounds somewhat accurate based on my experience.

https://psmag.com/environment/men-wi...he-environment

Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 AM

4,989 posts, read 2,010,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The Journal of Environmental Psychology... wow

The study, in the Journal of Environmental Psychology, featured 162 male Canadian university students. All provided saliva samples so their levels of testosterone and cortisol could be measured. Trained research assistants rated their facial masculinity by measuring the ratio of facial width to height, as well as cheekbone prominence. Other research assistants listened as participants vocalized common vowel sounds, such as "ee" and "ooh," and used pitch along with other variables to rate the subjects' levels of vocal masculinity.

This is how they measure masculinity?

I'm reading thru this, and I haven't read anything like this in awhile.

"More masculine markers were associated with less-favorable environmental attitudes," the researchers report. "Individuals with more masculine faces were more likely to want to use the environment for their own personal gain, and were less likely to want to protect the environment. [Those] with more masculine voices were less likely to want to preserve the environment, but were only marginally likely to want to use the environment for human gain."

Faces and voices determine what a person believes. Someone actually paid for this study.

Closing statement...

The researchers caution that levels of both of those hormones fluctuate significantly from day to day. Masculine facial features, which have been linked to higher levels of testosterone both in the womb and around the time of puberty, may be a better indication of a man's average testosterone level (or his levels when he was forming his worldview), but more research will be necessary to determine that definitively.

1- I wasn't aware that parasites or clumps of cells had facial features and testosterone. Just a side note...

2- The level of one's testosterone at the exact time when a man is forming his worldwide will decide his views on the environment. Just when I thought I had read everything. Hilarious...

These are the scientists we are supposed to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
There are errors of judgment in what to study, how to study it and how to present the results in academia. There are standards that work pretty well in most cases. What tends to get reported are the cases where something maybe went amiss. Just because something got funded or published doesn't been that a majority of academics agree or that the government or the public has to agree.

This seems like a stretch but in general I'd say research a lot of things under academic freedom and then try to evaluate the findings. It could be used to better target education efforts. I don't know if it was intended to stigmatize. Colleagues and journal editors could look into that and see what they find. If you think it was, gather your evidence and share it with the appropriate authorities.
If it sounds too postmodern to be true... it probably is.

See the "Sokal Affair" and "Science Wars" for further study.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 AM

1,437 posts, read 821,256 times
Sounds like a bunch of militant, left-wing, gay LGBTFQ, crap designed to blame straight people for stuff under the guise of sounding scienc-y. I'll bet they found a real scientician for this study.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:55 AM

35,245 posts, read 32,197,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Says the person living in EAST Chicago.
Coffee out the nose

Old 06-12-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Sounds like a bunch of militant, left-wing, gay LGBTFQ, crap designed to blame straight people for stuff under the guise of sounding scienc-y. I'll bet they found a real scientician for this study.
Image of sagging skinny jeans, vans and man bun.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
more "toxic masculinity" BS from left wing feminists.
Toxic females who drive around in big SUV's don't care either.
Why don't they go after people like Barbara Streisand who fly around in private jets while screaming about the environment??
The private yachts of the elite burn more than a gallon of fuel per mile. The big ones are even worse.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:06 AM

12,126 posts, read 6,702,925 times
They are actually attempting to prove masculinity is toxic, based on their face shapes? Maybe ethnicity has more to do with how their faces look. Beware the chiseled jaw.

Most of the badly behaved guys I see who try to act tough are fat and have breasts. They don't care about their own health much less their community or the environment.

Old 06-12-2019, 07:11 AM

3,030 posts, read 2,465,932 times
I think that just because something is statistically significant, that doesn't mean it's statistically relevant. I'd be interested in seeing the data from this research. Because my guess is that while there's a low p-value associated with that degree of relationship between masculine features and environmental attitudes, that relationship is also really weak.

Last edited by Sharks With Lasers; 06-12-2019 at 08:24 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM

66,578 posts, read 33,830,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
sounds somewhat accurate based on my experience.

https://psmag.com/environment/men-wi...he-environment

Being on top of the totempole, has a target on your back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or